• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

@liamsaunt 

looks very tasty to me !

Crab Cakes are one of the items 

I looked into , and made  , some time ago

they were delicious !

w. Craig Claiborne 's Rx

in the NYT's SundayMagazine 

circa ~~~   1982 or so 

up and down a few years

that I copied it , 

looked it up in various librareis

on that black micro spool thing 

you run by a magnifier.

love to look that Rx over again

( it might have had in it , Fresh Crushed Corn Flakes ??  )

( or manybe not   ))

• Like 2

@rotuts -- I remember those microfilm systems! Mighty useful.

I wondered whether any Craig Clayborne crab cake recipes could be found in the NYTimes Cooking files, now that they've gone digital. Lo and behold, this one came up as being from around 1983. Any chance it's the right one? (It should be visible to anyone despite the paywall, since I'm a subscriber and can "give" up to 10 articles a month.)

The Coach House's Deviled-Crab Cakes

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Sleepover @ the Duvels. Normally, I‘d make pizza on this occasion (you know, the adventurous „only salami“ one), but today little one requested ribs 🤔

Happy to comply !

E393FE79-BE22-4117-BF98-D76E4374F40A.thumb.jpeg.5892d7aab2d71fb9ead17abb8e89ec77.jpeg

D41CFED1-D9B9-45C4-A8FD-A6E36A4E13D7.thumb.jpeg.741bd38dc8f5197d884baa12c8187cfd.jpeg

No complaints (also not from the houseguest)

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

Grocery store had chicken breasts on sale for 88 cents per lb.  I never used to buy breasts but I've grown to like them now.  Versatile .....and especially good SV'd.  I did a chicken piccata night before last.

thumbnail_IMG_3972.jpg.5c64a52bc233e99a24cc7c5f890406b6.jpg

Shelby, I don't like chicken breast (either?) but I'm bored to death with the usual sautéed chicken thigh.

How did you prepare the chicken breast and sauce?

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Shelby, I don't like chicken breast (either?) but I'm bored to death with the usual sautéed chicken thigh.

How did you prepare the chicken breast and sauce?

I use this recipe   .  Only change I make is after cutting the breast in half lengthwise I use my meat mallet pounder thingy to make it a bit thinner (the chicken breasts we get around here are usually huge).

• Thanks 4

@kayb, all of those recipes look like winners. Many thanks!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Shelby: Chicken breasts @.88 / lb! WoW! Unheard of!
We were to have chicken tonight too, but it was a friend's birthday, and she loves Wonton soup, one of the few things she can chew in her failing health situation.

So, I made up a batch and delivered it to her and her family. Simmered a pile of chicken wings I got on sale = lovely broth.

Lots of filling make up, so we had Wonton Soup for supper.

1140632267_WontonSoup0142.jpg.9d1ab5b28890416b3b0faf7fc3847d1d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

12 hours ago, TdeV said:

Hi Shai. I looked up Ftira and found Malta, but didn't find Gozo Island. Could you mention your ingredient list and method, please?

Gozo is the second largest island of Malta (after the namesake island of Malta itself).

I used a modified pizza dough, a bit drier and richer, more bread like.

The toppings are as mentioned, all thinly sliced.

Searching Google for "gozo island ftira" shows a few recipes such as https://youtu.be/euo8ESouBZw

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

5 hours ago, &roid said:

Tomahawk steak with stuffed peppers, roasted tomatoes and mushrooms for dinner last night. 

4770923D-80DD-4A70-AC7D-61B439B2E9D0.thumb.jpeg.c2254e65823bfb57b3b14ad1ce28bbba.jpeg

Really nice temp on that steak. Whole meal looks lovely.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Short ribs.....sorta.  

Went to small local carnacerIa and asked for costillas (ribs) de res (beef).   The owner showed me big long beef ribs.  I asked, quisiera mas pequeño (I want smaller ones).  He said puedo corte (I can cut them).  Well, ok.  

They were very tender and meaty, made them in Instant Pot with a boatload of carrots and onions.  Served over lumpy mashed potatoes with a ton of liquidy sauce.  

fyi, this butcher shop is on our plaza and is famous for the dogs that line up outside for bones.  The dogs never fight, wait their turn patiently.  

short ribs.jpg

butcher dogs.jpg

butcher shop dogs.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5

My butcher had deboned chicken thighs on offer. He does a very good job deboning them and I usually buy too much because they look so good.

Mrs. Duvel requested fried chicken and little one agreed in an instant. So, off into the buttermilk brine they went. Fried tonight - juicy and very crisp 🥳

B9AE33E5-5080-4363-A04A-1425B18ABC2E.thumb.jpeg.10cc5524ea731294ef5b9baf3b1a9879.jpeg

D34E100E-6109-49C1-A24A-C718BA80576C.thumb.jpeg.77a489936d15fa23b562a145a0e71e6e.jpeg

I was feeling more like something Chinese, so I took advantage of the slight overpurchase and made a batch of gōngbǎo jīdīng (宮保雞丁) for me … 

F83A1B1A-90B4-4B9A-BBD9-564C05EBF910.thumb.jpeg.044a04895dbd20e0eef003f351265c94.jpeg

No complaints. Tomorrow I have quite some chicken skin to render 🤗

• Like 14
  • Delicious 8

SV a 2" ribeye for dinner.

Cooking for the week ahead. Beans and ham, again. I bought 17lbs of ham on sale:blush:.  Braised beef, again. Trying to see if the results are reproducible.

I am going to do coq au vin for my son (dark meat). Roasted chicken for my wife's salads this week (breast).

• Like 4

Charlie invited his car club over to watch the Super Bowl.  Thank goodness not everyone showed up.  I made some sourdough bread and made Italian grinders with them, two chip dips, a shrimp mold that I had almost forgotten about. It was popular when I was teaching, Scotch eggs and a sauce for them and jalapeño poppers. Strawberry Hill bakery was having a half price sale so I got some povitica bread as well. Some of the other people who came brought food and drink too.  I forgot to take pictures until people were eating.

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Sous-vide sichuan twice-cooked pork belly (sous-vide at 77C/170F for 9 hours with broad bean chili paste, finished with green peppers, garlic, ginger, chili, scallions and a sauce made from shaoxing rice wine, sous vide cooking liquid, hoisin sauce amd broad bean chili paste - overall very nice texture of the pork belly crisp on the outside, tender inside but still with a light chew - much better than braised or cooked). Served with stir-fried tatsoi with bamboo and ginger.

A7681680-B6E1-44C5-A079-85F4691EA420.thumb.jpeg.4ed45ab35ac203773f3035963309747d.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1