• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Those beans look really good. Is there more to them than just bread crumbs and Parmesan? If so, would you share the recipe?

Hmmm.  I cooked the beans earlier in the day.  What I do is sauté some garlic in olive oil in the cazuela, add beans (drained, but leave a little liquid), some herbs of your choice, some olive oil, parmesan, pepper. Then topped with bread crumbs and more parmesan, baked at 350℉ for a good 30 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Made these on Friday (in case we lost power on Saturday and needed something easy): Ju Bao from Andrea Nguyen's 'Asian Dumplings' with pork, cabbage, mushroom, assorted freezer greens .... 

We didn't lose power however these were tasty.

74653843_JuBaoPre-bake.thumb.JPG.799be80c4acc80071585ab8610afd068.JPG1189326810_JuBaoPost-bake.thumb.JPG.cd9560608e6122128b6c6f4fc4112426.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

On 2/4/2023 at 10:41 AM, lindag said:

I'm guessing this is the ATK recipe, no?

Yes.  I have their Bread Illustrated book, and am assuming it is the one you are thinking of.

Last night we had a turkey dinner with the usual (for us) sides: mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, carrots, green beans, cranberries.   I didn't get a picture of the plated meal, but here's the bird out of the oven and resting.  

turkey.thumb.jpg.1af7736eeecfd0f80c3b661011f41685.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

I cook in quantity for the week. It does not really conform to a formal breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I live away from the house 4 days a week. So if I am  to affordably feed my family away from the house, I have to plan ahead. Mass quantities are the order of the day. Today I made; stewed pork with white wine and mushrooms, hybrid braised beef (French-Irish death match with red wine and beer), and navy beans and ham with corn bread. 

Edited by billyhill
grammar ;) (log)
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, billyhill said:

I cook in quantity for the week. It does not really conform to a formal breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I live away from the house 4 days a week. So if I am  to affordably feed my family away from the house, I have to plan ahead. Mass quantities are the order of the day. Today I made; stewed pork with white wine and mushrooms, hybrid braised beef (French-Irish death match with red wine and beer), and navy beans and ham with corn bread. 

This sounds fascinating. Please consider doing an eG food blog or taking us through a week's meals in whatever way works for your and your family’s schedule. 

• Like 7

藤椒鸡饭 (téng jiāo jī fàn*) or 花椒鸡饭 (huā jiāo jī fàn), Sichuan pepper chicken (with rice).

1501005571_.thumb.jpg.e0d0230cb372d5a9b6be0a71fee180a5.jpg

On-the-bone chopped chicken leg with aforementioned Sichuan peppercorns, green chilli pepper, woodear fungus, tofu skin, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. Served with rice.

* Rattan pepper or vine pepper, alternative names for Sichuan peppercorns.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 2/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, weinoo said:

This is the chicken that I've now tried for the 2nd time...

1733344844_IMG_8416(1).thumb.jpeg.f8b31df3f6499895fa7023bb2ea1fc29.jpeg

Roasted with some potatoes, onions, carrots. It's the Heritage chicken, from Trader Joe's, which they sell for $4/lb.

Not a bad bird.

Every time someone posts a roast chicken I get another craving.

That looks so good.   Love roasted potatoes and onions.  

1633136029_RedChickenCurryFebruary5th2023.thumb.jpg.1a92c91a6328ab4ad885d7ddb5137537.jpg

Last night's dinner - Red Curry Chicken.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

19 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Made these on Friday (in case we lost power on Saturday and needed something easy): Ju Bao from Andrea Nguyen's 'Asian Dumplings' with pork, cabbage, mushroom, assorted freezer greens .... 

We didn't lose power however these were tasty.

My Mom used to make baos with chicken, shitaki mushrooms and Chinese sausage. She , and later, I steamed them. I tried making baked char siu baos (different pastry recipe) and was never happy with the results, so I keep using the steamed version. Yours look great - delicate pastry! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Repurposing the one leftover turkey fillet: added various vegetables, stir-fried with Toban sauce, simmered in chicken broth and lightly thickened. Really needed that "gravy"!
Cooked up 1.5 cups of wild rice that was hiding in the back pantry. Made LOADS! Ate some and will freeze some in portions.

I've been wanting egg tarts, so having Chinese store bought tart shells, I caved and made some.

687637146_TobanChickenwildRice0096.jpg.53b1d485d62b5a882453e64a5944999a.jpg

115318662_eggtart0094.jpg.976d9380c0a8f45fd2a572782188a70d.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Shoprite had some Icelandic Haddock on special, they said "never frozen", but regardless it was very good (unlike some of the very sad/not fresh fish I saw there) - sweet and moist. I roasted it with some Panko crumbs on top to add a little crispy texture.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 2/6/2023 at 11:36 PM, Dejah said:

I steamed them.

It's never done any other way here. The standard definition of baozi is "steamed filled buns". Never had baked ones.

Chicken and shiitake is a common pairing, but I don't recall seeing it in baozi. Interesting.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:07 AM, weinoo said:

<snip>

Had to have something to go along; baked some white beans, with bread crumbs and parmesan...

IMG_8427.thumb.jpeg.a52427b6554f3e1ddfe0ef5252b5b6c8.jpeg

Mitch, I have been intrigued by this dish for some time. You've made me want to try it!

What's the ratio of breadcrumbs to parmesan?

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

It's never done any other way here. The standard definition of baozi is "steamed filled buns". Never had baked ones.

Chicken and shiitake is a common pairing, but I don't recall see it in baozi. Interesting.

Perhaps mine is a Toisanese version? Guess I'll have to make some  soon, after talking about them! 😋

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

9 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Perhaps mine is a Toisanese version? Guess I'll have to make some  soon, after talking about them! 😋

It was the baking that surprised me. As I think you know, extremely few people have ovens at home and even most restaurants don't.

One of my local steamed bread places has about 30 varieties of baozi. I need to have a look to see if they do a chicken version with or without shiitake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Chicken and shiitake is a common pairing, but I don't recall see it in baozi. Interesting.

The bakeries in Oakland Chinatown typically offer baked and steamed. I much prefer the baked, and always get the BBQ pork. The baked ones have a golden-brown domed surface. Incredibly satisfying elevenses snack. 

• Like 4