• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

You are welcome. What is awesome is watching them being made fresh. A skilled chef holds a great lump of dough in their left hand/arm and with their right shaves off bits of dough which fly through the air and land in a large pan of boiling water. These are skimmed out seconds later and served. Cabaret with lunch! There are videos on YouTube (which I can't reach at the moment). Use the translation or the Chinese to search.

I watched one of the videos.  Amazing!  

• Like 2

Frittata for lunch today.  Slightly overfilled with sautéed onion and chard, a few quartered small San Marzano tomatoes, Swiss chard and petit peas from the terrace pots.  Diced ham and Parmesan/Gouda cheese were also added, then baked in the oven for about 20 minutes. I usually make a smaller version but was using up bits and bobs.

IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3875.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

@rotuts
memoriediangelina  The frittata di pane is what I have based it on.  But the directions in the recipe have you soak bread in milk and then squeeze out milk and discard.  Instead, I soak and retain the liquid and add the eggs to it. Half of the milk/bread/egg mixture goes into the pan, followed by the filling and the the remaining frittata mixture.  This was the 4 egg version. When I make the smaller version,I cook it stove top , lightly covered, then flip and return to pan.

• Delicious 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Simple sando: smoked tuna salad with sliced avocado and celery leaves on a toasted bun, tomatoes and cornichons.

797E6941-D7A9-4027-B3D8-15E3DFEAFD80_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.726129db146d17a401c8a78acb28d0bd.jpeg

As I ponder what to have for lunch, it now seems that whatever I decide will pale in comparison to this!

• Thanks 1

Lunch yesterday was so good that I repeated it today.

I bought some of the Compari tomatoes discussed here and made terrific BLTs.

Will tide me over  until the local tomatoes come in.

• Like 5

Kind of a pan-Med grazing plate. 

B341F969-A123-4A69-AEB3-18A4D147F08D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c2c28855149e1baca455057e1bb7a6c5.jpeg

Big White Beans (Rancho Gordo Royal Coronas), Agrumato Oil and Black Pepper and Crispy Zucchini with Parmigiano-Reggiano, Lemon and Mint, both from Getaway, quinoa dolmas from Trader Joe's  and a little salad of cherry tomatoes, feta and dried olives. 

Edited to add that the zucchini is kind of interesting.  You put the zuke slices in an oiled pan, salt and top each one with a little pile of grated parm.  In the few minutes it takes the first side to brown, the parm kind of melts onto the zucchini slices so they are very easy to flip and brown the cheese on the second side and each little slice has its own frico coating. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I got Pacific white seabass this week in my fish share.  It's not a bass but in the croaker/drum family.  I used a recipe from Getaway that's written for halibut and uses a delicious anchovy/caper/preserved lemon compound butter that will be great to have on hand for future fish cooks.B68AB773-5921-486E-B0A3-9E79999CE54E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b63513b1ee6ca083ecf196d3ff305a10.jpeg

This was to have been seasoned with marjoram and garlic scapes, neither of which I had handy so I used garlic chives instead.  I sautéed some zucchini and cherry tomatoes while the fish was finishing in the oven. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Rye bread with (North Atlantic) rosé shrimp.
sZGM956.jpg

Resumed eating asparagus. It's the end of the season now, but the very last of it can be found.
xE4iTBN.jpg

yyR9DeN.jpg

My zinc pills come in a box of 25. Fishmonger says they are not harvesting oysters for maybe 2 months so supply will be thin on the ground. Drinking from my stash, this is a sour beer.
KcgUtrz.jpg

Money can't buy these bottles because not many are still in existence. Bottled date on label. Still tastes good, unlike some non Belgian sours I've tried. Vinegar!
DS79CgN.jpg

--------
There's butter from the forest (avocado) and there's butter from the sea.
hvJJ7X5.jpg

UiMQh4F.jpg

My mini Midsommar today (without songs and dances).
m1zPr5t.jpg

Yoghurt
DAD0yTH.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Whitefish, Tomato, Zucchini + Chickpea Stew w/Mint Almond Relish from Grist.  I suspect the author had smaller freshwater fish in mind but I used some of the Pacific white seabass that I got in my fish share this week. 

C749F492-01C5-4A5E-9ADC-FC85D0686E77_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c21377ed0fc64677f43a8f5794913fd9.jpeg

This was surprisingly good. The vegetable stew is seasoned with ras el hanout, lots of onions and garlic and is quite good on its own, although plopping a big piece of fish on the bowl seemed a bit incongruous to me at first.  The mint almond relish includes lots of lemon zest and juice along with shallot, toasted almonds, parsley and mint.  It brightens everything up and really knits the dish together. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Fennel and Gnocchi Salad with Fennel Frond Pesto from Hetty McKinnon's Tenderheart.

78C6DC42-FC9D-4F50-9A91-FFBBBFE15C25_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8643d9794df14a790998c1b34f4d91dd.jpeg

When I get fennel at the farmers market, it's priced per lb and they alway have tons and tons of fronds which annoys be because I have limited use for them.  This used up a lot of them and it's quite nice. Tastes very fresh and green but doesn't scream, "FENNEL!!!" Should have sliced the fennel more thinly but still OK. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

49 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Fennel and Gnocchi Salad with Fennel Frond Pesto from Hetty McKinnon's Tenderheart.

78C6DC42-FC9D-4F50-9A91-FFBBBFE15C25_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8643d9794df14a790998c1b34f4d91dd.jpeg

When I get fennel at the farmers market, it's priced per lb and they alway have tons and tons of fronds which annoys be because I have limited use for them.  This used up a lot of them and it's quite nice. Tastes very fresh and green but doesn't scream, "FENNEL!!!" Should have sliced the fennel more thinly but still OK. 

I find heat damps down the licorice taste but thet is when I use our wild (non native) stuff. 

fennel.jpg

• Like 3

Tuna pasta/tuna salad

Another "what's in fridge and pantry cleanout" situation.

A bag of mini shell pasta; cans of tuna hoarded from pandemic shopping; several partial jars of pickled items (sweet pickles, dill pickles, banana peppers, olives etc); frozen cubes of braised celery........

I boiled the pasta shells in the brine from the emptying jars of the pickled stuff.  That took care of any seasoning needed, it really works well for pasta!   

I threw the hot noodles in a bowl with the frozen celery, thinking I'd let it cool to then add the other items.  In through the door walks a hungry person.  I added all the  items (except mayo) to the hot noodles and mixed it up.  A nice warm tuna pasta dish.   No complaints!

Later, it will be cold tuna pasta salad when I add the mayo.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I boiled the pasta shells in the brine from the emptying jars of the pickled stuff.  That took care of any seasoning needed, it really works well for pasta!   

Filing this away for future usage!

• Like 1