• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Nice meal. I am always interested when I see citrus cut lengthwise versus equator.  But I see it in food videos. Ive found it seemed less able to yield juice.  Always good to learn and lean out of preconceptions.

This is the common method of cutting limes in SE Asia.  I think it originated because they limes they have there have seeds, so when you cut this way, you basically leave the core with the seeds so it's easier to squeeze.  But for the normal US limes, I find cutting it this way actually yields more juice, not less, than when cut in wedges or across the equator.  I'm not a big fan of using those citrus presses - I find it too easy to squeeze too hard and you get some bitterness from the pith into the juice.  Plus, nowadays, I'm usually cutting limes for people to add themselves, so I definitely wouldn't want a half a lime like you get when you cut across the equator.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

Nice meal. I am always interested when I see citrus cut lengthwise versus equator.  But I see it in food videos. Ive found it seemed less able to yield juice.  Always good to learn and lean out of preconceptions.

I read somewhere that was the best way to cut limes.  Maybe here?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I read somewhere that was the best way to cut limes.  Maybe here?

Does this not deserve a thread of its own?   MANY THANKS!     9 times out of 10 I find myself with "juiceless" limes.    You may have unlocked the door, not only for me.    In fact, does Jo know about this knack?

eGullet member #80.

47 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Does this not deserve a thread of its own?   MANY THANKS!     9 times out of 10 I find myself with "juiceless" limes.    You may have unlocked the door, not only for me.    In fact, does Jo know about this knack?

I think the juiceless lime syndrome has less to do with how to cut them, but how to store them and choose them in the first place.  Lately, I store my limes in a wicker basket that I keep in the wine fridge.  The wine fridge has actually become my new root cellar.  I store all onions/shallots/garlic/potatoes/ginger in there and they all last so much longer than they do either on the counter or in the regular refrigerator.  I've gotten pretty good at picking decent limes, and now in the wine fridge, they will still be really juicy 3 weeks after I purchase them.  The lime in the shot above is probably about 3 weeks old (plus however long it was in transit to NY and sitting in the store).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Jo was interested, however I fear the lime cheeks would not do well in my juicer.  Amazon delivered fourteen more limes today.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Linguine with sautéed cabbage, onion, garlic, mushrooms, one hot sausage removed from casing + some peperoncino. Added a little white wine after sautéing to steam the veggies a bit.  Topped with grated Caciocavallo cheese and toasted walnuts, parsley; this was very loosely adapted from NYT Caramelized cabbage and walnuts. Going into rotation!

IMG_3537.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl
Correction (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2023 at 5:58 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Seared scallops and baby boy choy with black bean sauce and fried garlic noodles from Cook Real Hawai'i

0E14BEFD-027E-4928-9A55-06B72FD7FEB3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.66a52276ba85be1d8fdfeb16f912e5f1.jpeg

Kind of a repeat of the last lunch I posted but with scallops instead of fish. 

I have a feeling this is a very ignorant question, but I have to ask. 

I really dislike most legumes. I can at best, take or leave chickpeas. 

So what is the flavor of Chinese black beans? Is it a soy flavor? I’ve always shied from anything with a black bean sauce, thinking it would be a typical legume taste. 

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

I really dislike most legumes. I can at best, take or leave chickpeas. 

So what is the flavor of Chinese black beans? Is it a soy flavor? I’ve always shied from anything with a black bean sauce, thinking it would be a typical legume taste

They are black soy beans so there is a little bit of earthy, bean flavor but mostly salty, umami with a little funk from the fermentation.  They’re usually used in small amounts for seasoning so it’s not like digging into a bowl of beans. A little like anchovies where they can be overpowering on their own but add a nice umami boost once incorporated into a dish. You may even have had them as they’re used in a range of Chinese dishes even when they’re not a named ingredient in the title of the dish. 
They're kind of a unique flavor and you may not like them but I think worth trying. The first Chinese recipe I learned to cook was squid in black bean sauce.  I was amazed that a spoonful of those shriveled little beans added so much flavor to the dish - I've been hooked ever since!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They are black soy beans so there is a little bit of earthy, bean flavor but mostly salty, umami with a little funk from the fermentation.  They’re usually used in small amounts for seasoning so it’s not like digging into a bowl of beans. A little like anchovies where they can be overpowering on their own but add a nice umami boost once incorporated into a dish. You may even have had them as they’re used in a range of Chinese dishes even when they’re not a named ingredient in the title of the dish. 
They're kind of a unique flavor and you may not like them but I think worth trying. The first Chinese recipe I learned to cook was squid in black bean sauce.  I was amazed that a spoonful of those shriveled little beans added so much flavor to the dish - I've been hooked ever since!

Thank you for this explanation. I do like anchovies and most with foods with a burst of Unami or salt,  so I will try this at my local restaurant first before cooking with Chinese black beans. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

They are black soy beans so there is a little bit of earthy, bean flavor but mostly salty, umami with a little funk from the fermentation.

Sometimes they are made from black soy beans but more often from regular yellowish beans (they're cheaper). The fermentation process turns them black.

I use them very often (including in your squid dish), probaly at least once a week. I don't find them at all bean-like in flavour but loaded with unami. The anchovy comparison is spot on.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Thank you for this explanation. I do like anchovies and most with foods with a burst of Unami or salt,  so I will try this at my local restaurant first before cooking with Chinese black beans. 

Neither my wife nor I like beans either (other than peanuts), but we love dishes made with black beans.  As @liuzhou said, they don't taste like beans at all.  If/when you cook with them, if you give them a rough chop before adding them in, they really get lost in the dish - although their texture is very un-bean like.  For some reason, I always associate their aroma with dark chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a delivery of our local tortas ahogadas, one shrimp and one carnitas (the most tender pork ever).  

For those not familiar, the tortas arrive with large bags of broth (a different one for the shrimp and pork); smaller bags of hot (chile árbol); and bags of pickled red onions and lime wedges. 

You put the torta in a bowl, dress with onions/lime, then pour over the sauces (they are heated).  Let it sit a few minutes and the hard salty rolls (birotes saladas) soften. 

The roll is very similar to a crusty French small baguette.  It was the French under their short colonization of Mexico who taught Tapatíos (residents of Guadalajara) to make this bread.  

tortas.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, gulfporter said:

(the most tender pork ever)

Several years ago when my husband and I were in Guadalajara we fell in love with the pork sandwiches. The ones we liked best were in a chain restaurant. I don't remember the name but they had a pink and green palm tree in their logo. I practically lived on them while they were there, I liked them so much. I have searched the internet high and low to see if I could find a recipe similar to the meat that they use in the sandwiches. I know that it's braised in some kind of liquid until it's almost falling apart. Do you have any idea how it's cooked? I've become really good at making the rolls, but I don't have anything to put inside.

@Tropicalsenior  These pork tortas ahogadas and all their accompaniments sell for 60 to 85 pesos and there are stands with delivery all over town.  Hence, I have never tried to replicate them at home.  Sorry!

Bucatini tossed in Korean black bean sauce (not the same as Chinese black bean sauce, FYI).
lNmcDQF.jpg

Steamed roe
CQgGt8C.jpg

Ginger-garlic-chilli sauce
CyAwMFG.jpg

I like Founders but this one is almost pure vinegar.
QXdsitd.jpg

---
What I ate during the pelting rain and thunderstorm earlier today.
3TR99lM.jpg

Marinated the asparagus with boiled beetroot liquid.
11mQWxJ.jpg

White sausages and other bits
sD9iulT.jpg

KenT, last drop of the Syrah. Have never had "white" Syrah. Interesting. Thanks.

23 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Had a delivery of our local tortas ahogadas, one shrimp and one carnitas (the most tender pork ever). 

tortas.jpg

Nice! I would rather the (thin) sauce in a separate bowl or cup to sip. But then it wouldn't be "ahogada".

Hey, Francesinha. Go sit in the corner (and think about what you could learn from Mexican version).
ciNOOvW.jpg

JvZcOwZ.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Soup two ways…lower layer is cauliflower, zucchini/ little garlic, chicken stock.  Top layer is sorrel and chervil puréed in blender.  An unexpected but delicious combination.

It was followed by a raspberry tart and raspberry/blackberry gelato.

IMG_3591.jpeg

IMG_3593.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Quesadilla_shrooms_202305.thumb.jpg.949826508ced8c68caae7bc1603f50e9.jpg

Quesadillas with a filling of dry-fried mushrooms, three kinds of chilies, garlic, cumin, cilantro, and a decidedly nontraditional cheese mixture (gouda, parmesan, and feta).

Don't think I have ever made quesadillas before, but these were yum. You can see I started back left and got better as I went.  :laugh:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A little “recycling “ lunch. added beans and bean broth to the cauliflower soup upthread, also added some zucchini and Parmigiana cheese. 
Citrus  salad with the rest of the zucchini, parm and mint.

We had the chocolate cake with a dollop of sour cream and raspberries.

IMG_3636.jpeg

IMG_3638.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

11 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Quesadilla_shrooms_202305.thumb.jpg.949826508ced8c68caae7bc1603f50e9.jpg

Quesadillas with a filling of dry-fried mushrooms, three kinds of chilies, garlic, cumin, cilantro, and a decidedly nontraditional cheese mixture (gouda, parmesan, and feta).

Don't think I have ever made quesadillas before, but these were yum. You can see I started back left and got better as I went.  :laugh:

I’ve only made “drunk quesadillas” in college aka putting cheese and whatever protein we had between two tortillas and cooking them on a panini press. 

Dry fried mushrooms sound excellent in a quesadilla or even a taco!

I had an excellent burger dining out at a pub that was almost 100 years old today— perfectly dry fried mushrooms blanketed with a thick and well melted slice of Munster. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This week's fish is ahi tuna again.  Checking Eat Your Books for recipes, I decided on this Tuna Carpaccio with Pink Peppercorns from Polpo for a quick lunch.

E40BE211-54AD-479E-A3B1-4491B2E6EFB3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.77302049f4fe463c2746800be728c3a5.jpeg

In addition to the pink peppercorns, the dressing/sauce contains olive oil, lime zest and juice garlic, red chili and fennel fronds and was quite zippy. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

This week's fish is ahi tuna again.  Checking Eat Your Books for recipes, I decided on this Tuna Carpaccio with Pink Peppercorns from Polpo for a quick lunch.

E40BE211-54AD-479E-A3B1-4491B2E6EFB3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.77302049f4fe463c2746800be728c3a5.jpeg

In addition to the pink peppercorns, the dressing/sauce contains olive oil, lime zest and juice garlic, red chili and fennel fronds and was quite zippy. 

Gorgeous. Looks like a fine dining restaurant.  I've never seen pink peppercorns fresh on the vine like that.  What are they like when fresh?

• Thanks 1