• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

Sausage & Gnocchi from I Dream of Dinner.

EB50FEE1-69D1-4B69-9E38-BF07C949919A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.71a8316911907f35cdc2ad9ec5461679.jpeg

Another quick and easy recipe from this book.  Take Italian sausage out of its casing and brown it up.  Remove from the pan and fry purchased gnocchi in the fat, chop a handful of pickled peppers (I used Matiz piparra peppers) and use them with a slosh of the brine and splash of olive oil to dress a pile of arugula. Throw everything in a bowl and eat.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sausage & Gnocchi from I Dream of Dinner.

EB50FEE1-69D1-4B69-9E38-BF07C949919A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.71a8316911907f35cdc2ad9ec5461679.jpeg

Another quick and easy recipe from this book.  Take Italian sausage out of its casing and brown it up.  Remove from the pan and fry purchased gnocchi in the fat, chop a handful of pickled peppers (I used Matiz piparra peppers) and use them with a slosh of the brine and splash of olive oil to dress a pile of arugula. Throw everything in a bowl and eat.  

Do you not hear me knocking at front door with a begging bowl?

bowl?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Do you not hear me knocking at front door with a begging bowl?

bowl?

You need to come around to the back door and press the doorbell firmly until you can hear the classy Westminster chimes.  Patrick and Michael and I will all come running to greet you. 

Only Patrick and Michael run to the ding dong front doorbell, I ignore it 🤣

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Haha 4

Pic by pic, How to Make a Hamburguesa de Camaron y Tocino.  Shrimp burger with bacon.  Queso (cheese) mandatory. 

This 'burger' is sold at many Mexican places here, mostly Holes in the Wall.  

It took me a while (duh! on me) to perfect. 

MXN bacon is lean and smoky, and not at all salty.  It fries up FAST!  

I layer pieces of bacon, mostly to keep the shrimp and cheese off the pan bottom. 

Used leftover grilled blackened shrimp....experiments support using cooked shrimp.  

Add the finely grated cheese after bacon is cooked, cover with foil, turn off heat until melted.  

Serve on toasted Bimbo rolls with chipotle mayo.  

I would serve this to company (and plan to!).

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam3.jpg

cam4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

A pale comparison to @gulfporter's delicious-looking shrimp burgers....Shrimp on Toast with Capers, Dill and Chervil from Getaway

D2E81E4C-1154-4A2F-92AF-607A3EC17C5E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8e991858241f7e5f0dbeed386a3ea902.jpeg
This week, my local fish share offered an option of little Oregon Bay shrimp and with this recipe and one for Potted Shrimp also from this book in mind, I decided to get them. This recipe dresses the shrimp with sour cream and crème fraîche with lemon zest, lots of dill and chervil. No chervil so I used a mix of parsley, cilantro and basil, plus plenty of dill. I added a squeeze of lemon juice, as I do. I think I'd prefer this as a dip with chips or crackers.  I was a bit overly enthusiastic grilling the bread but the shrimp and herb flavors are delicate enough that I don't think they're enhanced by any sort of char. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
missing word (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

This recipe dresses the shrimp with sour cream and crème fraîche with lemon zest, lots of dill and chervil.

I'd kill for that plate!  Hard to get these ingredients in Jalisco other than the lemons (lÍmones Americanas).   

I am heading back to Tucson on the 4th and this dish is on my to-make list. 

I miss dill terribly in MX, something for which there is no acceptable substitute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Your plates are always a work of art. I'm constantly amazed at your repertoire. Just curious, is lunch your main meal of the day?

Thanks!  Credit for my repertoire goes entirely to my cookbooks!  
Yes, I usually aim for breakfast and a late lunch as my main meals. I might have a little snack in the evening with a cocktail or glass of wine. Or not.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!  Credit for my repertoire goes entirely to my cookbooks!  
Yes, I usually aim for breakfast and a late lunch as my main meals. I might have a little snack in the evening with a cocktail or glass of wine. Or not.

My tribe! I eat a sizable breakfast, although not a very creative one, on the late side. Then we eat our main meal mid to late afternoon. It  usually gets pulled together some time around four pm, give or take.  I too like a cocktail and/or snack later in the evening. Sometimes it's dessert! I get up on the late side so I'm rarely hungry at regular lunch time. And if I wait until normal dinner hour I'm often too uninterested to cook or too cranky. Plus I've had some issues with my eyes and can't really function at my best once the kitchen is in deep shadow. Working currently on better lighting, but I really prefer my two meal schedule at this point.

• Like 4

The "virgins" are here again.
31K0gSs.jpg

Cold beetroot soup with mashed eggs
7dG6ItI.jpg

Smoked pig's ear I brought back from Vilnius. Tyrolean Speck on right, and smoked salmon above. One of us scoffs at smoked pig's ear and Matjes.
JpiZXVS.jpg

Fantastic black bread brought back from Vilnius. Next time I'll post photos of black bread and charcuterie brought back from Vilnius. Very chewy, substantial bread that requires time and effort to enjoy. Tastes sweet and sour, contains caraway seeds (thankfully they are not overpowering). Beautiful, good crust. This handmade traditional bread is a work of art. Did you know... black/rye bread is what Lithuanians abroad miss the most?
HaNX8fG.jpg

New-catch Matjes (and strawberries), are a sure sign of summer here. I think I have exceeded my weekly quota of oily fish... Ate 3 yesterday, and 3 today.
n6Ic1vt.jpg

----------------

Another meal:

Summer savoury (as in a plant)
iJpQ1tz.jpg

I got 2 small pots from a garden centre last year. They are doing very well.
ed85auN.jpg

Broad beans and smoked Speck cooked in cream, together with 5 big twigs of summery savoury. It's most commonly added to green beans and such. This is a typical home-style dish in northern Germany. The name is simply the ingredients "broad beans and Speck". Didn't season at all, the Speck provided all the smokey salty flavour. Lithuanians are competent at making Speck (I brought back several chunks from various market stalls in Vilnius).  
bmchyH8.jpg

(Extra photos. It's quite dark now so I had to increase brightness quite a bit.)

- Hey, what's that in my Annabelle hydrangea?

- Are you my mummy?

- Mummy! Hungry!

- They have just left the nest this morning and have been staggering round my garden since, making lots of noises the whole time.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

One of the rare days I can do home office. I said it many times before: it definitely has the best canteen - always exactly what I want 🤗

Today three ingredient lunch: simple grilled beef patty, medium-rare, topped with a chunk of Saint Agur and served on a toasted brioche bun …

IMG_0049.thumb.jpeg.a928a90dd990a8b02b133a74364f69d4.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

One of the rare days I can do home office. I said it many times before: it definitely has the best canteen - always exactly what I want 🤗

Today three ingredient lunch: simple grilled beef patty, medium-rare, topped with a chunk of Saint Agur and served on a toasted brioche bun …

IMG_0049.thumb.jpeg.a928a90dd990a8b02b133a74364f69d4.jpeg

Does your canteen deliver to NY?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Does your canteen deliver to NY?

Not yet … it’s a small, one-man powered show with

very limited opening times ☺️

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

水煮小龙虾 (shuǐ zhǔ xiǎo lóng xiā) - Sichuan boiled crayfish

20210530_120833.thumb.jpg.5861c9434b2449673c2b8eaef327ae87.jpg

That boiling liquid looks intensely flavorful. With rice? Here Vietnamese immigrants pioneered restaurants serving spicy crawdad boils but lean it U.S. with "vegetable who shall not be named", sausages and potatoes.

Arugula with baked (seasoned) tofu and tomatoes. Pretty good vegan bottled "caesar" dressing from Whole Foods on the greens. The tofu was a packaged product, I like my homemade version better.

tofu-salad.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

The wind changed direction so now we have good-for-nothing high temperatures (35C!/stupid hot in Fahrenheit). Time for no-cook meals, or at least keep the cooking minimal.

Fried bread from Moroccan bakery (brown one is whole wheat).
teDw8Xh.jpg

Honey and sugar cane molasses brought back from Madeira
CdcjabJ.jpg

Young cheese and runny cheese in 2 small bowls on right
5S6yMXt.jpg

Would not even consider moving to a place where I don't have access to cheese.
bZQIgTs.jpg

MWtfWsS.jpg

- - -
Another no-cook meal. Peeling the prawns took the longest.
K9VUOih.jpg

Avocado-feta and pickled jalapeño
n2HgPAG.jpg

Fishmonger sources oysters from a different farm. There are many along our coast.
Dzsimdo.jpg

So I finally tried this. Not "extra hot" at all! Just a little spicy and only mildly cheesy. Never again.
k46Mh1s.jpg

The wine was much better
YlKiUbN.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1