• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

4F1005BF-091C-4C69-9BC5-BFBCA7A7EDE3.thumb.jpeg.8756a37000376dcf8cd18c1ed778d10d.jpeg

spam and eggs.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9D67DB2A-797D-4919-A322-AB34EEFD6E90.thumb.jpeg.ad3a0c5cc65b0551488819598c27db06.jpeg

Cheese and bacon toastie. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Ideal Sweet Potatoes with Buttered Nuts from I Dream of Dinner, topped with a fried egg.

B7418E44-C080-4B4C-BF5D-11EAA3DB72A9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.03df2227561a220b0e4e94b69d17dc78.jpeg

The roasted sweet potatoes are good but the Tuscan kale gets all the love in this recipe, cooked in butter with nuts (I used pecans), chili pepper flakes, garlic, lime zest and brightened with a squeeze of lime juice.  

I brushed some of the flavorful butter left in the pan over the sweet potatoes, then fried an egg in the rest.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

@rotuts – those B&M baked beans gave me the stares.  They are something that I’m having to avoid due to my potassium issues and I miss them so much.  I am not a big vegetable lover and have come to realize how much I used canned beans and raw vegetables (carrots, tomatoes) as my daily go-to vegetables in the past.

@Ann_T – my best friend was downsizing from a big family home outside of Boston to a smaller beach house on Cape Cod and she gifted me two Royal Worcester egg coddlers.  Your eggs look perfect to me – jammy yolk and cooked whites.  How do you cook yours?  And that leftover Yorkie and roast and gravy dish???? OMG – that is exactly what I want to eat most days.  Incredible. 

A couple of recent meals:

1-IMG_2294.jpg.83b7ed0cd74d2311833fa1f510cdc701.jpg

The sausages were leftovers from the Shrove Tuesday pancake supper at church.  they were so good – the brand is Swaggerty’s and I’ll be buying those on my next Sam’s trip. 

For Xmas we received 12 days of jam made by a local company, “Daym Jam”:

1-IMG_2299.thumb.jpg.fd78a8f5ba6283e3baf68ee98d2910e0.jpg

Every one that we’ve tasted has been very good and some are really unusual flavors.  Nice warm spices in this one.  On a muffin for breakfast:

1-IMG_2300.thumb.jpg.923004f395cab43c46caea8f7f9c54d5.jpg

Along with some surprisingly good link sausage that we took a chance on from Lidl. 

1-IMG_2302.jpg.3173dc38b743f8332d151dddfcaaf742.jpg

Pumpernickel bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese and more of those Lidl sausage links. 

Yesterday my best friend texted me before I had breakfast to brainstorm about some Virginia nibbles to serve her book club when they meet at her house.  I got so hungry with everything we discussed that I came downstairs and grabbed the quickest thing I could find:

1-69920831360__3EE6222C-641C-4606-8105-1BEAC72E32F4.thumb.jpg.b5c0ae4e5f95de3ddc3fe4ad0458c37b.jpg

It wasn’t quite as satisfying as pimento cheese ham biscuits, but it was filling.😄

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@blue_dolphin, I never think to cook sweet potatoes.  Not for breakfast or dinner.  But every time I see it reminds me that I really should cook them more often.

Yours look so good.

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – my best friend was downsizing from a big family home outside of Boston to a smaller beach house on Cape Cod and she gifted me two Royal Worcester egg coddlers.  Your eggs look perfect to me – jammy yolk and cooked whites.  How do you cook yours?  And that leftover Yorkie and roast and gravy dish???? OMG – that is exactly what I want to eat most days.  Incredible. 

Thanks Kim.   Pretty simple.  I buttered the coddler, cracked in the egg, salt and peppered.  And I buttered inside the lid.  You could just put a dollop of butter on top of the egg.  Placed in a pot of simmering water that comes just below the lid.  Simmer for 7 to 9 minutes depending on how you like your eggs. 

SourdoughRyeLevainBakedFebruary28thSlicedMarch1st20234.thumb.jpg.3dd79c2fb757d751cf222bdf173b0628.jpg

Sliced one of last night's baguettes for breakfast.   Toasted and topped with Cheese whiz and then run under the broiler.

I don't even care that much for cheese, but as a kid I loved cheese whiz.  My guilty pleasure. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

0C0426C0-CF02-4C6D-8053-65239ABA2518.thumb.jpeg.45e474d2c1adcb1206ec94dda5dc3531.jpeg

Creamy bucatini with roasted seaweed. Inspired by @blue_dolphinvia  Korean American Food. 
I am still not sure about this. Definitely a little too salty for my taste.  I might try it again reducing the salt. I eat a fair amount of the seaweed snack and don't find it too salty so I think it was elsewhere that the salt was over used by me. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@blue_dolphin, I never think to cook sweet potatoes.  Not for breakfast or dinner.  But every time I see it reminds me that I really should cook them more often.

Yours look so good.

Thanks Kim.   Pretty simple.  I buttered the coddler, cracked in the egg, salt and peppered.  And I buttered inside the lid.  You could just put a dollop of butter on top of the egg.  Placed in a pot of simmering water that comes just below the lid.  Simmer for 7 to 9 minutes depending on how you like your eggs. 

SourdoughRyeLevainBakedFebruary28thSlicedMarch1st20234.thumb.jpg.3dd79c2fb757d751cf222bdf173b0628.jpg

Sliced one of last night's baguettes for breakfast.   Toasted and topped with Cheese whiz and then run under the broiler.

I don't even care that much for cheese, but as a kid I loved cheese whiz.  My guilty pleasure. 

I too am an unashamed Cheeze Whiz fan. I love all kinds of great cheese but Cheese Whiz holds a special place. Also, Cheese Whiz and peanut butter on toast is a great combo. (Waiting to have my e-gullet membership revoked...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I too am an unashamed Cheeze Whiz fan. I love all kinds of great cheese but Cheese Whiz holds a special place. Also, Cheese Whiz and peanut butter on toast is a great combo. (Waiting to have my e-gullet membership revoked...)

It is really good with bacon too.

ToastedBaguettewithCheezWhizandBaconNovember14th2020.thumb.jpg.40ab0a02aabb8ade33371a0f7ede1703.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

This thread is amazing!  As someone with a job that requires almost no physical effort a cooked breakfast, in fact any breakfast beyond coffee and orange juice is a treat for high days and holidays.

Some years back breakfast was coffee and a cigarette, I have improved a little! (I do miss sitting outside a bar on my way to work when living in France, large black coffee, packet of Chesterfields and Ouest France to read).  Happy days! 

All of your savoury dishes look extremely enticing, for us they would mostly be “dinner” rather than breakfast.  

i have never yet tasted spam.  I understand that it is easily available so, inspired by @rotuts and @Anna N I will search this delicacy out for a future meal.  Probably won’t be breakfast though! 

• Like 3

I picked this up :

IMG_2254.thumb.jpg.f7b145f430c974ef173e8080362a4fac.jpg

w/o looking closely at the label , I thought it might be lower salt SPAM

which exists , but not @ Marketbasket

IMG_2250.thumb.jpg.52bfb5f5858e7e76b3161197e03aba10.jpg

IMG_2255.thumb.jpg.dc1fb753dcc9cc564a217a42aa2ecd33.jpg

it has the same consistency of SPAM  , crisps up just like SPAM

and might have a milder flavor .  just as salty , w/o checking the can

Ill check again @ MB for the lower salt SPAM

P.S. :  its a little cheaper than SPAM 

but I don't have the figures in front of me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We stock Spam and clones in the country for emergency breakfasts and unexpected lunches.    The Grandkids love it: fatty and salty.    One recently crowed when she saw me open a can, "Oh boy!    Is that that delicious stuff that looks llike dogfood?"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

There appears to be at least 3 missing. Where is the  Soylent Red, Soylent Yellow,Soylent Green?

I knew climate change was a thing but had no idea how bad its got....🤣

• Haha 4

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

There appears to be at least 3 missing. Where is the  Soylent Red, Soylent Yellow,Soylent Green?

I knew climate change was a thing but had no idea how bad its got....🤣

Its an old product, simple ingreients. Don't knock it if you've not had it esp grillled.

https://www.eater.com/2014/7/9/6191681/a-brief-history-of-spam-an-american-meat-icon

• Like 2

@Ann_T -thanks for the instructions.  I’m looking forward to trying those soon.  Cheese Whiz is also one of my guilty pleasures!  It is my “cheeze” of choice on a cheesesteak and I just discovered that one of my favorite sandwiches (loose, seasoned ground beef cooked on a griddle and mixed with processed cheese) is called a “Chopped Cheese” in NY.

@DianaB – Like you I hadn’t ever tasted Spam and I confessed that at large here in 2019.  One day I received an anonymous packet of a “Spam single” (a large slice in a foil-like envelope).  It turned out that it was sent by @suzilightning❤️.  Another sweet, generous gesture like sending folks her read through magazines and discarded cookbooks.  I had to confess to not being a Spam person after trying it.  I pan fried it and it was nice and crisp outside, but unpleasantly (to me) mushy inside.  I did like the flavor, though. 

Yesterday:

1-IMG_2345.jpg.de26d457eb5cf6f552f5727785c922ee.jpg

Mini quiche, waffles (frozen), and link sausage. 

This morning:

1-IMG_2355.thumb.jpg.4aababab03a391849236da951eed3265.jpg

Sausage and English muffins with my beloved Tiptree Little Scarlet preserves that Santa brought me for Xmas. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Its an old product, simple ingreients. Don't knock it if you've not had it esp grillled.

https://www.eater.com/2014/7/9/6191681/a-brief-history-of-spam-an-american-meat-icon

Surprisingly have partaken of the "delicacy".

Also the related product called "camp pie". All these products originated after the WW2 although I am pretty sure they were developed for troops in WW2.

I just about every country that actually suffered aerial bombing, the production and processing of protein was severely curtailed and what was produced was used to supply troops. It had to be able to be preserved (remember no refrigeration) so cooking in can was ideal. For the volume needed the meat was cooked (processed) in bulk and then recooked in the can to sterilize (pasteurize)  it. In Australia, lamb was used (all the low quality cuts), but pig (pork bacon) & beef were all used. Most was the leftover or off cuts with little commercial value. The finished product tended to be relatively salty (so it tasted closer to bacon than pork)

The "real" protein was pretty poor because, in Australia at least, so many young men were killed in WW2 (compared to the total population) there was a general shortage of farmers and even farmhands and the quality of production was low, also preservation to allow transport to the processors was by salting.

I assume that in the US there was the same shortages of protein, although not to the same extent. So much production probably went into the war effort (the US was the major providers of munitions for the European Allies) that the necessary increase in production was covered by these products.

The taste was usually better than the "real' protein, and it certainly was much cheaper, until production caught up.

When you are on to a good thing (read profit making product), it would be silly not to preserve sales by adding more and more flavors.

If it tastes good eat it, no matter what it is made of! 😁

• Like 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Employee appreciation day (according to our Marketing dept.), so breakfast for the office. You know you are near Philadelphia when someone brings a bunch of soft pretzels to add to the spread.

8C2166D0-1E8F-4AB2-8653-D38AE626C290.jpeg

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Got this really nice sliced Römerbraten (cured & smoked pork collar; similar to Italian coppa, but not aged). Thought that would - briefly fried - do very well on eggs Benedict …

7969BF13-94A6-4BF2-9FBD-983C0C5C64C6.thumb.jpeg.b67a7553235d82d30b769455e396e3a7.jpeg

And it does ! For “mass preparation” I have successfully converted the poached eggs to 5 min eggs. Perfect yolk results without all the stress …

BF09AB4F-B8DB-40F4-A14A-54CCA664C149.thumb.jpeg.e2aafe29a0ec8a005231dc0eac154839.jpeg

Happy faces 🤗

31A09659-2FCF-431D-B7BB-36A55EF1D146.thumb.jpeg.35db436881166c13ecdb29012819fb79.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

this morning @ MarketBasket I spotted this :

IMG_2291.thumb.jpg.118f2b511330425eee6e9f15ef56e37d.jpg

IMG_2293.thumb.jpg.e095e6929d4b54d247141c3433ae69e3.jpg

IMG_2296.thumb.jpg.aad47d8cc6f8f598126b324f2c997a17.jpg

IMG_2300.thumb.jpg.65c855a34c15912102aeb083340ed5bb.jpg

not to worry , this is still ' salty '   didn't compare the NaCl numbers

same SPAM flavor and consistency you grown to expect .

BTW  SPAM is 2 for $ 7.00 , the DutchColony clone is 2 for $ 5.00.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6