• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food expiration dates are sometimes arbitrary and not science-based

gfweb

10 hours ago, cdh said:

Milk especially... some milk last a week past date and is fine.  Some milk goes funky 4 or 5 days before the date.  Just have to be attentive to your dairy... Smell tests and coffee curdling test beat a date stamp any day. 

And there's nothing like seeing cases of milk stacked in the aisle of one's local grocery store, warming up while waiting to be stocked on the shelves.  

We generally have no control over how the product is handled, once it leaves the place where it is packaged into what we buy.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

And there's nothing like seeing cases of milk stacked in the aisle of one's local grocery store, warming up while waiting to be stocked on the shelves.  

We generally have no control over how the product is handled, once it leaves the place where it is packaged into what we buy.

The local Shoprite stocks the milk shelves from a refrigerated room situated behind the shelves.  The shelves are actually part of the refrigerated room.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The local Shoprite stocks the milk shelves from a refrigerated room situated behind the shelves.  The shelves are actually part of the refrigerated room.

My local Ralphs/Kroger does that. They are good.

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I can't think of a local store that does it any other way....oh wait...maybe Sprouts? But everyone else has the set-up you describe for dairy.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The local Shoprite stocks the milk shelves from a refrigerated room situated behind the shelves.  The shelves are actually part of the refrigerated room

49 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I can't think of a local store that does it any other way....oh wait...maybe Sprouts? But everyone else has the set-up you describe for dairy.

You've never shopped in a supermarket on the lower east side of Manhattan, I'm guessing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?