• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

2 hours ago, &roid said:

Finally got round to making it yesterday. Everything’s feeling very autumnal here so I paired it with some confit duck and butter poached potatoes.

Duck with cabbage and potatoes = practically the very definition of autumn.  I need to buy a duck (or two).

8 hours ago, Ann_T said:
They also served , complimentary, a wonderful garlic bread with Gorgonzola that we both loved so I had to recreate it as well.

OMG, gorgonzola on garlic bread?  I can't believe I've never had that before.  Or even just on a garlic-rubbed bruschetta.  Must do immediately.

Edited by CookBot (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

OMG, gorgonzola on garlic bread?  I can't believe I've never had that before.  Or even just on a garlic-rubbed bruschetta.  Must do immediately.

@CookBot, you can find the way I make it here.  

1992253700_GorgonzolaGarlicBreadFebruary19th20111.thumb.jpg.dab69c5524c4ab0b7e6f0890600dbe77.jpg

https://thibeaultstable.com/2011/02/19/italian-garlic-bread-with-gorgonzola/

• Like 10
  • Delicious 6

10 hours ago, &roid said:

I’ve been meaning to try the idea for SV red cabbage from @gfweb’s thread on here for a while. 

Finally got round to making it yesterday. Everything’s feeling very autumnal here so I paired it with some confit duck and butter poached potatoes. They only had whole ducks in the supermarket so I pressure cooked the carcass and made a sauce with the highly reduced stock and some port. 

The confit I did following this serious eats recipe, four hours in a 105°C oven. 

2178D1E0-0F40-4229-93FD-23553738768C.jpeg

Dinner here last night was chicken, red cabbage, and potato.  But my red cabbage was in coleslaw.  I've determined sous vide cabbage is not my thing.  Maybe if I had duck fat.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Duck fat is now  sold in jars in most grocery stores, or did you know that?

I well know that.  I just don't have any.  And now I am hungry for duck.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Everyone's dishes look so good.  Ann, that bread!  And the chicken fried rice mgaretz!  and so many more yummy looking dishes.  

As I said I don't cook much during the week so it was a few days of grabbing pulled pork, etc from the freezer.  On Thursday, I woke up to the sound of a tree hitting the roof.  We had a rather freak snowstorm here and my oak tree (perfectly healthy otherwise), literally split in half and one half landed on the roof.  Fortunately, it was only the upper branches and no damage was done. I had a balsam fir that was bent over so badly with the snow load, it cracked, but didn't come down, so we had to take that down as well. Much of the day was spent without power in town though fortunately we have a generator, and there were downed trees everywhere you looked.  Friday was a long day of clean up so we went out to dinner, to a local micro brewery pub which opened during the pandemic but I'd not been to yet, and I was incredibly impressed with the food. 

We went from snow on Thursday, to 20c today, so once again we fired up the smoker to do a leg of lamb. The rub is a mint, garlic rosemary rub.  Mini roasted potatoes tossed in olive oil, garlic, and rosemary and a toasted almond cranberry spinach salad.   Normally I would make a mint jelly to go with this, but I make it with red current jelly and I couldn't find any. Truth be told, our secret guilty pleasure is the green stuff lol which I did have on hand. 

lamb.jpg

lamb done.jpg

lamb sliced.jpg

spinach salad.jpg

baby potatoes.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 12

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Burrata + Pizza, a marriage made in heaven.  Other toppings: jamón, parmesan shavings, truffle.

At a sidewalk pizza place in old town Alicante.

pizza alicante.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 4

@Marlene, scary having a tree come down on your roof. You were lucky that it didn't damage your house.

That leg of lamb looks amazing.   Perfectly cooked. 

@gulfporter , now that is one beautiful pizza.

603805278_BurgersandHomemadePotatoChipsOctober23rd2022.thumb.jpg.45d74c2a0af2a7cdbdd2a7dfc0f17493.jpg

Burgers and homemade potato chips for dinner last night. I added about 4 oz of ground pork to 1 1/4 lbs of sirloin. Made four burgers.
Two went into the freezer destined for a quick work night dinner and the other two were grilled for dinner.
Seasoned with just salt and pepper. The pork adds just enough fat to the sirloin.
This has become my favourite mix for burgers.
Used the slicing blade on the new Breville 16 cup FP. Took less than 5 seconds to slice 4 russet potatoes.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Continuing to make softish foods for Ronnie.  Hope to get his teeth back today.

Venison meatloaf

thumbnail_IMG_3269.jpg.076ab9295ce422e9b6a78821c1676fee.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3271.jpg.3d422f56148783e24c3f1c9d7642cbfd.jpg

Peeled a million miniature tomatoes--no they aren't cherries, they are supposed to be normal sized, but they were stunted by drought and heat.  Still taste good though!

thumbnail_IMG_3279.jpg.05e18d7e720ebbed88acb08b240b081f.jpg

Turned them in to lasagna soup for last night.

Ricotta/fresh mozzarella/fresh parm

thumbnail_IMG_3278.jpg.0a7b0cb7f6921565f75854cbfec37c79.jpg

(for me)

Basil/tomatoes/fresh mozz/balsamic

thumbnail_IMG_3281.jpg.a2722c057ab123c9a26af7eaf5332b42.jpg

Soup

thumbnail_IMG_3282.jpg.8ef788c8208bd375a7825005752f9dea.jpg

Fig and blackberry gallette/crostata thing with homemade vanilla ice cream

thumbnail_IMG_3280.jpg.1c9f2012c6c5305090e46d48685d103a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3284.jpg.f36c53def83c955f02cf1934b7aeb924.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 5

@Marlene 

you lab looks lean a women central fat 

and very little gnarly bits.

congratulations

I I can see that thinly sliced the next day in 

outstanding sandwiches.

unusual to have rare lamb in a sandwich.

did you temp. the lamb when you took it off the smoker ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Marlene 

that leg of lamb looks perfect.

how did you cook it ?

Thank you!  We did it on the smoker at a temp of 225.  It took about 3 hours and when we took it off the smoker it was 125 in the middle then rested for 25 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marlene

48 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Marlene 

you lab looks lean a women central fat 

and very little gnarly bits.

congratulations

I I can see that thinly sliced the next day in 

outstanding sandwiches.

unusual to have rare lamb in a sandwich.

did you temp. the lamb when you took it off the smoker ?

I get my leg of lambs from Costco, always.   One day I'll get a meat slicer cause this would be perfect for those sandwiches (cough cough, can you hear me Santa? ) and yes, my son will have some for dinner tonight likely then take some for sandwiches to work as well.  

Marlene

5 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Top sirloin, cooked SV then seared, served with steamed asparagus in butter.

sirloin-asparagus.jpg.314111fa0b9f80bd8565beb4385e5a41.jpg

That's beautiful!  I haven't done anything with sous vide, but my son does.  he asked for and received sous vide equipment for Christmas two years ago and has done some experimenting with it.  

• Like 2

Marlene

Finally got the homemade chicken soup I have been wanting, broth looks a little anemic but it was serviceable, particularly since my sense of taste is dulled at the moment.

698249F8-6BA3-4476-B244-B021F4F800E7.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

15 hours ago, lindag said:

Your rice looks seriously fluffy.. what type is it? And how did you cook it?

@weinooknows me all too well or I'm just predictable. Yes it's Jasmine rice - Wangderm brand new crop available in 25 pound sacks.

I use a 16 year old rice cooker - actually it's a Braun combi slow cooker/rice cooker/steamer. I think I've used the slow cooker function 3 times, maybe. But several times a week as a rice cooker. The key is not using too much water. Jasmine rice needs to be steamed - you only need to use enough water to hydrate but not boil. Also wash your rice thoroughly!

ETA: One other thing that improves the texture is to let it sit, untouched, once the rice cooker switches to keep warm mode.  I let it sit for at least a half hour - although this could be machine specific...

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2