• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Been busy with a loooot of things, but let me share with you what happens when you buy a 4 kg piece of rump (roast ?!) steak, split it along the axis and half both portions, SV it at 54 oC for 4h and serve it essentially every night (four consecutive, and counting) to the family, just seared with goat cheese-creamed spinach …

06FA163B-374F-4B02-9830-CFE4399DB0E2.thumb.jpeg.dc2e0f6a4afedf667ac1b85d01b898de.jpeg

Everyone is happy.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@Duvel 

Ive never been involved w Rump.

you take looks delicious .

I know of the sort of rump served 

( via pics ) of Brazilian or Argentinian 

Meat Fest etc

ive never tasted them

so y question is   

I do agree w you on the temp.

was 4 hrs enough for decent tenderness ?

maybe w a little chew in the back ground 

but more tenderness up front than chew ?

• Like 1

Golden Fried Rice (cooked rice tossed with egg yolk, egg whites are deep fried in wok until puffy and then mixed in, along with scallion greens added at the end) with celery, bell pepper, and spiralized carrot added.

IMG_20221010_185412493.jpg

• Like 6

Was invited to Canadian Thanksgiving yesterday and had a full on Jiggs dinner. Salt beef, chicken, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, parsnips

and pease pudding. Only thing missing was mustard pickles. Apple pie for dessert.

Not a very photogenic meal therefore so no photos.

• Like 7

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

8 hours ago, KennethT said:

Yunnan style elk with herbs, 7 to be exact, 4 from the garden

I'm always jealous of your fresh herbs, but it I'm working to remedy that. I got two types of Thai basil recently, Thai eggplants, and papaya (they are now in bloom), also one finger root plant. The galangal didn't make it. 

I'm still not sure what to do about makrut lime (since it's forbidden to import). 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

I'm always jealous of your fresh herbs, but it I'm working to remedy that. I got two types of Thai basil recently, Thai eggplants, and papaya (they are now in bloom), also one finger root plant. The galangal didn't make it. 

I'm still not sure what to do about makrut lime (since it's forbidden to import). 

Wow - a finger root plant!  Now I'm the one that's jealous!  I love fingerroot, but the only way I can get the rhizome is either frozen or pickled.  The frozen is better, but still not nearly as pungent as the fresh.

• Like 1

It is getting cold - the perfect excuse to make Grünkohl (kale) with Bregenwurst (from my hometown in Lower Saxony) …

95349506-E083-4FB7-BEF8-A1200D199539.thumb.jpeg.42385cb18c75f1feb2e3efd3e1c57ded.jpeg

Followed by a wee dram of Scapa Skirem* 🤗

CD4D58AA-94C6-42B3-97ED-36328E4B53C7.thumb.jpeg.487cacfff3ea64306826310edda7d991.jpeg

—-

* strictly for digestion purposes, of course

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 1

Greek tonight.
I was first introduced to Greek food, when Moe and I first got together almost 50 years ago. Toronto had and still does a very large Greek population, many first generation, and an area on the Danforth called Greektown. So many wonderful restaurants.
373040871_GreekLambShanksOctober11th2022.thumb.jpg.feb0565d4f9270ce5fc076ead42ae325.jpg
I love lamb and the way it was served. I made lamb shanks tonight with Greek potatoes, green beans, rice and Greek Salad.
We don't have Greek Restaurants in our area so I have to cook it myself.
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 6

Everyone's dishes look so good!   Nothing quite like fresh herbs.  I get a lot of deer in my backyard so a garden isn't really practical so I bought this for herbs.  This was at the beginning of summer so they were just starting out.  Now that we are getting frost on the ground though, its going to be time to put it away for the winter.

20220528_105852.thumb.jpg.0c7a451b00060d93f8a6b80817c2a9d8.jpg

Not much cooking here, still working on turkey leftovers.  Truth be told, I don't cook that much for myself during the week these days. Ifind I am lacking inspiration to just cook for me.   I do a lot of batch cooking for the winter, soups, stews, shepherd's pies,spaghetti sauces etc, and freeze them in single serve portions.  In the summer its a lot of bbqing. And we use the smoker almost every weekend.  We did a couple of full pork bellies on it this summer for bacon.    Sunday is the day my son and I have dinner together to catch up on each other's weeks and I do make a full on Sunday dinner then 
  • Like 16

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:38 PM, KennethT said:

Wow!!! Bond St is still open?  My wife and I used to go there when we were dating - like 17-18 years ago!  Obviously we haven't been back in a while but I'm glad to see they're still going. Which room did they seat you in?

We were seated on the lower level.  It was completely packed so they are still doing quite well.  

Finally back home for dinner last night: cascatelli with roasted winter squash-sage sauce and bacon.

212929387_buternutsquashsauce.thumb.jpg.87c0bb8aa4902ab380d510f3bce14848.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

On 10/11/2022 at 5:35 AM, shain said:

I'm always jealous of your fresh herbs, but it I'm working to remedy that. I got two types of Thai basil recently, Thai eggplants, and papaya (they are now in bloom), also one finger root plant.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, KennethT said:

Wow - a finger root plant!  Now I'm the one that's jealous!  I love fingerroot, but the only way I can get the rhizome is either frozen or pickled.  The frozen is better, but still not nearly as pungent as the fresh.

Could someone describe what finger root is?

• Like 1

@Marlene, I love your little bear.

Sterling Silver top sirloin roast for dinner tonight.
Presalted it early in the day and roasted at 500°F for less than 30 minutes.
1421904408_YorkshirePuddingsOctober12th20221.thumb.jpg.6676923528e2fac05cfcee10a9bcae9b.jpg
Pulled from the oven at 116°F and left to rest while the Yorkshire Puddings baked.
169878016_RoastBeefDinnerSterlingSilverTopSirloinOctober12th20221.thumb.jpg.44701aec752f260c58a4360c51159875.jpg
Served with all our traditional sides. Very simple dinner, but one of our favourites.
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 9

28 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Marlene, I love your little bear.

Sterling Silver top sirloin roast for dinner tonight.
Presalted it early in the day and roasted at 500°F for less than 30 minutes.
1421904408_YorkshirePuddingsOctober12th20221.thumb.jpg.6676923528e2fac05cfcee10a9bcae9b.jpg
Pulled from the oven at 116°F and left to rest while the Yorkshire Puddings baked.
169878016_RoastBeefDinnerSterlingSilverTopSirloinOctober12th20221.thumb.jpg.44701aec752f260c58a4360c51159875.jpg
Served with all our traditional sides. Very simple dinner, but one of our favourites.

That bear has been through a lot with me lol.  Beautiful yorkies Ann!  And the rest looks terrific as well :)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

Could someone describe what finger root is?

Fingerroot is a rhizome used in some SE Asian cooking. In Thai it's called grachai or krachai. The rhizome is long and skinny, like a finger. As usual, the Wikipedia entry isn't quite right - it is a different rhizome than lesser galangal. As an example of usage, it is one of the predominant flavors in the Thai dish Pad Cha. It has a very unique and distinctive flavor and one I find hard to describe - somewhat medicinal but in a good way?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

Fingerroot is a rhizome used in some SE Asian cooking. In Thai it's called grachai or krachai. The rhizome is long and skinny, like a finger. As usual, the Wikipedia entry isn't quite right - it is a different rhizome than lesser galangal. As an example of usage, it is one of the predominant flavors in the Thai dish Pad Cha. It has a very unique and distinctive flavor and one I find hard to describe - somewhat medicinal but in a good way?

Like fresh tumeric with a bit of star anise, but not the anise part of it. It's earthy and sweet (aroma wise) and not spicy like ginger but still sharp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

So aggravating!  I typed out a whole thing - comments on other folks' meals, a welcome back, and my stuff and it just vanished.  Here's what I can remember of it.  I'm not doing much cooking lately. I've got either various or a single upper respiratory thing(s) that will not go away.  It started weeks ago in my head and throat and a few days ago settled in my chest.  I've been repeatedly tested and no COVID.  Latest diagnosis is bronchitis and I'm just drained most of the time. So lots of easy meals and take out.  I can tell that my family is getting a little tired of it.  Honestly, so am I 🤪!  

@Marlene – I literally gasped out loud when I saw your avatar!  I was so excited to see you.  I really do think of you often.  Fully 15 dishes on my recipe webpage are titled “Marlene’s…something”😁.   Welcome back and hope to see more of you.  RE: your turkey gravy.  That’s what I’ve done for years.  I actually make the gravy a month in advance sometimes.  Nice to have it all done and in the freezer.  I always hated that last minute chore.

@Ann_T – those lamb shanks look so good.  I love them roasted with Greek seasoning. Now that they are popular and expensive here, they are really hard to find. 

Well, Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian eG’ers.  Now I want Th’giving dinner. 

Jessica made dinner one night last week.  A casserole that she invented with Skyline chili, hot dogs, cheese, and cornbread mix:

1-IMG_0796.jpg.ff4f94d49085776e557f40447633e7ce.jpg

It was dense. The flavor was good (Skyline has a very distinct taste), but the texture and balance of ingredients needs some work. 

She served it with some green beans, asparagus, fries, crudité, and some amazing fry sauce/remoulade that she also invented:

1-IMG_0797.jpg.a90823708c507449b49d5559c44214ad.jpg

A few nights ago, I made Cook’s Country BBQ Shrimp:

1-IMG_0827.jpg.ff203ed9e7d527e7367bc653d7353bba.jpg

I was really happy with this.  The shrimp turned out to be cooked the absolute perfect amount of time – I sometimes have a hard time judging that properly.   Served with green beans and Dirty Rice – from Bojangles.  Because they make it better than I do, so why not?

1-IMG_0828.thumb.jpg.e500ca600fe7066d1b0b55b4024d17f2.jpg

And salad and a rustic baguette from Lidl:

1-IMG_0826.thumb.jpg.f00bac737b06e6257a7837c8b07dab53.jpg

1-IMG_0825.jpg.d460db75a17d57095e76ad61de0e7816.jpg

Hot dog dinner Monday night.  Mr. Kim’s plate:

1-IMG_0830.thumb.jpg.2fc35ac70ab347619a0b6cb090d98c49.jpg

Mine:

1-IMG_0831.thumb.jpg.fc74e92fd23481f7ef6d3de69617946d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4