• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why don't you have a chamber vac?

Sargun

I've noticed that chamber vacs are starting to become more and more available. I've looked into the Avid Armor ones - which are $600, and not much more than a "normal" unit. I'm not buying one because they're heavy and loud. It seems like there are units that have much shorter vacuum pulls, so the loudness might be less bad, but I'm not sure I want to put an 80 lb appliance on my table.

• Like 2

because the cheap ones with indeterminate lives are still $600 and aren't going to do much that i can't do with the cheap "regular" vacuum sealer i got on discount. literally the only reason. i personally don't care if they're big and loud; if i could get one that lasted for a bit for $100 and i'd already have one.

• Like 1

I don't have one because they're huge. A vacuum machine doesn't offer enough advantages over ziploc bags for sous-vide.

There are many other things chamber vac is necessary for (vacuum infusion, instant pickling, etc.) but these aren't interesting enough to me to justify the size and expense.

If I move someplace with double the square feet, I'll rethink it. But my eye will probably be on more expensive ones that I can trust to not break.

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, Sargun said:

I've noticed that chamber vacs are starting to become more and more available. I've looked into the Avid Armor ones - which are $600, and not much more than a "normal" unit. I'm not buying one because they're heavy and loud. It seems like there are units that have much shorter vacuum pulls, so the loudness might be less bad, but I'm not sure I want to put an 80 lb appliance on my table.

Welcome Sargun.

I've got a large 'real' vac chamber and as Paul says I can use it for more than just sous vide bag sealing, that I bought mine for all those years ago (13 I think).

but when it goes, I will buy a small countertop model like you say, just for freezing as much as anything.

• Like 2

Because  U will have a whole freezer of left over bags.

Unless u take good inventory/ stuff gets packed in all over the place.  I really dont use it for just left overs, but its damn handy

Btw--I love my VP210..I keep it in the spare bedroom,  works great

Cheers  B

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

Aside from the obvious prevention of freezer burn and long term storage I often take a 1 lb block of cheese that comes vacuum sealed and divide it into 3 and re-vac seal 2 pieces while I enjoy the 3rd

p

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, palo said:

Aside from the obvious prevention of freezer burn and long term storage I often take a 1 lb block of cheese that comes vacuum sealed and divide it into 3 and re-vac seal 2 pieces while I enjoy the 3rd

p

@palo, when you vacuum seal your cheese, do you notice any oil or liquid coming to the surface of the cheese? I vacuum sealed (not on a chamber vac) some Kerrygold Dubliner cheese (cross between cheddar and Parmesan) and it seemed like some oil or moisture got sucked to the surface (of the cheese). (I compared the vacuum-sealed cheese to cheese wrapped by hand in plastic wrap. The hand-wrapped cheese did not have oil coming to the surface.)

For me the issue is need and space. My Cabelas piston pump vac sealer sucks hard and can do quick pickles etc. I can store it in a drawer and pull it out as needed. Maybe cost $250

• 11 months later...

Anova recently came out with a chamber vacuum sealer that is 13.6 x 11.2 x 8.9 in and weighs 8.48 kg | 18.7 lbs for $350. It has various settings to help with different functions: Dry/Cool for bread, Infuse/Extract, Compress/Pickle. You can also change the settings manually. I love my 10+ year old VacMaster VP112, but if I didn't have it I would certainly give the Anova a try

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

39 minutes ago, lame username said:

Anova recently came out with a chamber vacuum sealer that is 13.6 x 11.2 x 8.9 in and weighs 8.48 kg | 18.7 lbs for $350. It has various settings to help with different functions: Dry/Cool for bread, Infuse/Extract, Compress/Pickle. You can also change the settings manually. I love my 10+ year old VacMaster VP112, but if I didn't have it I would certainly give the Anova a try

https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-a-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

I wasn't aware

p

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, lame username said:

Anova lists this at $450.  I would love a chamber vacuum sealer but by the time I convert that into Canadian dollars and pay for shipping it gets pricey.  Not that it is expensive for what it is, but it's too expensive for the amount of use I'd get out of it..  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Anova lists this at $450.  I would love a chamber vacuum sealer but by the time I convert that into Canadian dollars and pay for shipping it gets pricey.  Not that it is expensive for what it is, but it's too expensive for the amount of use I'd get out of it..  

I agree, unless one is packaging their own meat or game, I just don't see it for the average household.  I have a Foodsaver that I use every day and it's quite adequate for my needs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

It's $350 US, that $450 price is in Canadian dollars, @ElsieD. And shipping is free in Canada, as long as you don't want express shipping. 

Does that change your mind at all?   🙂

16 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

It's $350 US, that $450 price is in Canadian dollars, @ElsieD. And shipping is free in Canada, as long as you don't want express shipping. 

Does that change your mind at all?   🙂

Thanks for correcting me, you little enabler, you.  I just assumed I was on the American site.  And the answer is no.  not yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, MokaPot said:

@palo, when you vacuum seal your cheese, do you notice any oil or liquid coming to the surface of the cheese? I vacuum sealed (not on a chamber vac) some Kerrygold Dubliner cheese (cross between cheddar and Parmesan) and it seemed like some oil or moisture got sucked to the surface (of the cheese). (I compared the vacuum-sealed cheese to cheese wrapped by hand in plastic wrap. The hand-wrapped cheese did not have oil coming to the surface.)

I have noticed the same thing, it happens with most of my vacced cheeses.

Sometimes I wrap the culprit in a piece of paper towel to absorb the liquid, of course that doesn't solve the real problem.

Why the hard line on an oil pump?  The Anova touts a "maintenance free dry pump", and a 2 year warranty. Do dry pumps die at 2 years and oil pumps need a top up?  A look at eBay tells me China has got chamber vacs in  the production queue.  Some coming in in at less than $350.  The Anova looks more controlled, with the ability to follow steps rather than just pump and stop.  Is there really an added benefit to that? And is the microcontroller going to be a point of failure?  I kinda doubt it.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch