• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why don't you have a chamber vac?

Sargun

On 4/24/2022 at 10:04 PM, andrewk512 said:

They use this a lot in EMP The Next Chapter and the new French Laundry book. I have trouble getting it to work with open containers, I think mostly because my liquid to container ratio is too high and I can't do much before I risk it blowing over (happened to me more than I like to admit). Works great in a bag though, if you can spare a bag for it. I hope vacuum blenders become more mainstream in the future

When i've done it, I pull a vaccum until it's going to overflow and then turn the machine off.  On my machine at least, that leaves the chamber with whatever vacuum it was at.  When you turn it back on, it does the bag seal cycle, and lets air back in.  leave it off until the foam goes down, then repeat.  Two or three cycles, you get a hard vacuum before it starts to foam up.  

• Like 1

FWIW, it works "okay" if using a foodsaver with the mason jar attachment.  It takes 4 or 5 vacuums to get it, though, since the foam rises up the jar.  I also use the mason jar attachment to quick pickle things like cucumbers, onions, and radishes.  Works great for those.

edit: "it" being pulling vacuum on blender foam

Edited by jedovaty (log)

On 5/2/2022 at 6:45 PM, jedovaty said:

FWIW, it works "okay" if using a foodsaver with the mason jar attachment.  It takes 4 or 5 vacuums to get it, though, since the foam rises up the jar.  I also use the mason jar attachment to quick pickle things like cucumbers, onions, and radishes.  Works great for those.

edit: "it" being pulling vacuum on blender foam

I bought the elusive and rarely sold in Canada food saver mason jar attachment for this purpose. It plugs into my polyscience machine but I find it really finnicky to attach to the mason jars

Maybe I just need to try more cycles. I find the first cycle or two often creates more foam for me. For some reason I only get a satisfying result when I use a bag and have the seal function on. I find this oddly happens with pickling/compressing too (foods aren't compressing). I am using 500ml round deli style containers, trying to both de-aerate as well as quick pickle in them

Edited by andrewk512 (log)

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, hotsaucerman said:

not sure if they are strictly comparable but would yall req the breville/polyscience chamber vac or something like the vacmaster vp125?

I have the Polyscience and I am pleased with it.  Only two problems to speak of:  the external vacuum line never works unless you hold the connector in.  And when I ask Alexa, "Turn Polyscience on", she is most creative in misunderstanding what a Polyscience is.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 5:04 AM, andrewk512 said:

They use this a lot in EMP The Next Chapter and the new French Laundry book. I have trouble getting it to work with open containers, I think mostly because my liquid to container ratio is too high and I can't do much before I risk it blowing over (happened to me more than I like to admit). Works great in a bag though, if you can spare a bag for it. I hope vacuum blenders become more mainstream in the future

I've had the best results doing this with the sequential program on my Henkelman. That seems to extract more air bubbles per cycle, and the stages also gives me more control if and when I have to hit the abort button to avoid spillage. 

• 1 year later...

For people that have a chamber vac - what's your experience having glass jars/bowls in it to draw out air from products that you don't really vacuum seal? I've seen videos where they put jars in it and seems to work, I'm just afraid it will break. 😆

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rajala said:

For people that have a chamber vac - what's your experience having glass jars/bowls in it to draw out air from products that you don't really vacuum seal? I've seen videos where they put jars in it and seems to work, I'm just afraid it will break. 😆

Jars would be at a possible risk of breaking if there was a pressure differential between the wall and the inside.  Doesn't sound  like that would be the case.

FWIW, I don't think vacuum sealers draw that much pressure so it could break a jar.

@Rajala

from your description , Im not clear what is being accomplished .

if you put a jar , lets assume w a loose lid  in a vacuum chamber ,

you will get a vacuum in the chamber and the jar.

when you release the vacuum, to open the chamber

the air goes back into the chamber and the jar.

no way to tighten the lid while under a vacuum in the chamber.

am I missing something ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Rajala

from your description , Im not clear what is being accomplished .

if you put a jar , lets assume w a loose lid  in a vacuum chamber ,

you will get a vacuum in the chamber and the jar.

when you release the vacuum, to open the chamber

the air goes back into the chamber and the jar.

no way to tighten the lid while under a vacuum in the chamber.

am I missing something ?

You use the 2 piece canning lids, set the flat on the jar, put the ring on loosely to hold the flat in place and run the chamber.  The flat will seal to the jar.  You can then tighten the ring after the chamber releases.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies!

I tried with a plastic container I got when ordering takeaway. It survived. Figured it would be less issues clearing out broken plastic then glass. I saw a video of someone pulling air out of produce with the help of this and was thinking of trying it. But checking around I read that glass potentially could break so was thinking of asking here, in case anyone knew or even tried it themselves.

Edited by Rajala (log)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Slim W said:

How do I know? 

I missed this very important part yesterday. I'm going to try it today or tomorrow with a pate de fruit that I've mixed - and incorporated a lot of air into. I'm thinking it might be possible to get some of the air out of the mass?

• Like 1

I use bowls frequently, never tried a Mason jar with cover. As long as the vacuum cover won't touch it i can't see it being an issue. The bowl that broke was barely touching the cover when closed,  when the seal compressed the bowl did not... 

Edited by Slim W
Correction (log)
  • Thanks 1