• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you just don't like

liuzhou

I think it isn't irrational to not want to eat insects. We don't need to eat them here as there are plenty of sources for protein and calories already. It isn't common in our culture either but that doesn't mean I'm against other cultures eating them regularly. I'm against me eating them.

Forgot one thing which surprises me as it is firmly at the top of the list: watermelon. Can't stand the texture. The smell and flavor leaves little to be desired too. I really embarrassed myself in Germany when I turned down my hosts' offer of watermelon which they had specifically bought because they thought as an American, that I'd like it. I managed to choke down a few pieces to appease them but really it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. :unsure:

I pretty much like everything (including offal and the common items that have been cited so far). But I’ve always found rice pudding to be off-putting for some reason. To be honest, I did not grow up eating it and I am not even sure I ever had it. It’s just that the idea of rice combined with sweetened milk as a dessert sounds revolting to me. Something about the texture (although I love risotto) and having rice in a dessert (although I enjoy coconut sticky rice). So yes, it is on the irrational side.

I used to hate brussels sprouts, the result of being forced to eat them overcooked and full of sulfurous vapors. I remember eating them as a kid with my nose pinched to avoid the stench and washing them down with plenty of water afterwards. Now I love them when they are properly cooked.

I love most cheeses including some that people can consider very pungent (blue cheeses and aged goat cheeses are a delicacy). However I don’t think I could convince myself to put French munster cheese in my mouth. As opposed to the American muenster, munster has an extremely strong odor and when I grew up, since this was a favorite of my parents, I had to brace myself every time they were going to enjoy a piece. Also there is something about this orange sticky rind… I am not interested in trying this cheese. Camembert and brie used to have the same effect on me (the smell of a ripe and runny camembert… yuck!), but since I’ve learned that the taste is milder than what I could guess based on the smell alone, I can eat appreciate them better now.

Lastly I have horrible memories of milk skin floating on my bowl of hot chocolate as a kid - even when you fish it out, the taste still stays in the chocolate. So the milk skin dessert at noma does not sounds like something I would want to try (fortunately this dessert has not created a trend unlike the dirt/soil items that are popping up everywhere!). However it's a good example of a chef taking something generally regarded as unpleasant, and turning it into something interesting...

Bad super market feta.... i served it as a dip one time melted in olive oil and one of my guests said "this taste like horseshit". I said "huh?" and he said "No, I mean this really taste like horse-shit". And he was right. Once I tried it, it tasted very much like horseshit smells.

Kidney. Ick ick bleechh!

I like liver and tripe; other offal I can stomach. But something about the taste & texture of kidney is so off-putting and vile, and I've never been able to enjoy it.

I agree kidney. I really don't like calves liver either. I used to clean several a week in the kitchen and just the smell is enough for me to say no thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Bjs229 (log)

Turtle soup sounded so elegant when I was young,the addition of sherry to a soup made me want to try it even more.But as a new bride I made the mistake of looking in my mother-in-law's pot one day and saw a snapping turtle being boiled down. No sauce or seasoning to cover the ugly stripes of the legs she had not skinned.It looked like a turtle, in a pot. I could never look at turtle the same way again.

Nibor: My daughter agrees with you so when she is home my cinnamon bread has no raisins.

Blue cheese- but that is not really a dislike but an allergy - I rather like the taste but then I always vomit.

Kidneys - but that may be that I have never had them presented really well.

I really dislike anchovies - in my opinion one anchovy on a pizza swims across the whole pie.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Let's see: raw bell peppers, melon of all types - they repeat on me. Canned veggies, except tomatoes and corn. Cooked carrots, cooked spinach, collards and mustard greens. Beets. Anise seed. that's all I can think of now!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Split pea soup. Won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Another result of childhood trauma brought on by one instance of my mothers (bless her heart) cooking and the 'don't leave the table' thing.

Perfectly describes my own experience with eggplant as a young child.

Raw oysters. Yes everyone loves them and I should too but I jst can't stand the texture and then often overly salty liquor. But I always will try another if someone offers.

The only time I enjoyed an oyster was at Benu. It was a single bite with the oyster just slightly warmed and flavors of kimchee and pork.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Split pea soup. Won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Another result of childhood trauma brought on by one instance of my mothers (bless her heart) cooking and the 'don't leave the table' thing.

That what I had for dinner! What else do you do with that ham bone? :)

"I wondered how long it would take until someone got judgemental about other peoples' dislikes."

I guess you've never had a meal with someone who spent the time naming all the foods he/she dislikes. (Many of which they've never partaken, I would gues.) Often people have preconceived ideas of foods that they think will taste bad.

Perhaps I should have said 'What a boring PERSON'.

I guess you've never had a meal with someone who spent the time naming all the foods he/she dislikes.

Yes, I have. But I do not think criticising other peoples' dislikes here is in the least helpful and it just makes for an unpleasant thread, which it hasn't otherwise been.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I should point out that I wasn't being critical. Most people who strike insects off their list have never tried them, and I think that's a shame. It's nearly impossible to know that you flat out hate something without ever eating it even once.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

It's nearly impossible to know that you flat out hate something without ever eating it even once.

Of course. It irritates me enormously when people do it, but I still think this is not the place to criticise other people's dislikes, imaginary or not.

Can we now get back on topic?

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Of course. I realized, thinking about it, that I'm also completely adverse to eating feet. Of any kind - no pork hocks, no caldo de patas, and I'm grossed right out when I find chicken feet in my soup. Ick.

ETA - although, oddly, I have no problem buying big bags of chicken feet when I want to make stock. I think it's their physical presence in something I'm eating that gets me.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)