• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Nice looking slab of pecorino; not too aged and dry - would make a really nice cacio e pepe as well as your shrimp pasta.  DiPalo's? Somewhere closer to you?

Fresh Direct! Locatelli Pecorino Romano DOP.  I keep it loosely wrapped in the butcher paper it came in, then in a ziplock bag in the crisper.  It basically will stay similar to this forever.  The shrimp pasta was a bastardized cacio e pepe... There was a lot of toasted black pepper, but bastardized by the garlic, wine and small amount of chili flakes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

It looks like a bit of a dog’s dinner but it was tasty enough. Roasted vegetables over rice with some pickled ginger. The sauce did not work very well. I decided that I am not particularly fond of hoisin sauce no matter what. I am going to fool around with a few ingredients to see if I can make a sauce that I can enjoy over a rice bowl. 

I don't find hoisin to be a stand-slone product. I mix it into some stir fry sauces, steamed bun fillings, cold noodles, soup, dipping sauce with added vinegar and oyster sauce. I think it is quite flavorful, just not balanced as-is.

Here are a few ideas, maybe you'll find some inspiration :) 

As for rice bowl sauces, I have some that I like, but I guess it has a lot to do with the ingredient on top of the rice.

My favorite rice bowl is with century egg + ginger, scallion, chili, soy, black vinegar, sesame oil, sugar. Also works well with regular eggs, but then you need to add some MSG or more savory ingredients.

Also rice with eggs - runny or scrambled, chili oil, scallions, garlic, black vinegar, peanuts, sugar, some MSG.

And then there's dofu-ru. I'm fine just eating spoonful's of rice mixed with the stuff. Though some extra toppings don't hurt.

You can go with a sesame paste based dressing.

Or perhaps a sort of Thai/Indonesian sauce - e.g. gado gado sauce, a sort of Thai curry, or more of a Thai salad style of sauce (with fish sauce, sugar, lime, chili).

Or maybe something Middle Eastern, with a spiced yogurt, some toasted nuts, a few herbs?

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

8 minutes ago, shain said:

Here are a few ideas

Thank you so very much. 
I did want to say, however, that my sauce was not just hoisin. it included sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic and ginger,and fish sauce. I spent some time trying to adjust it but the overwhelming ingredient was still the hoisin!

I will definitely give your suggestions a try. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Get some black vinegar if you can to try.  That makes a dipping or noodle bowl sauce really pop.  It's malty/fruity with a umami undertone.    And it loves a bit of chili heat too.

@shain nailed it with his suggestions.

Yes and my go to is also nuoc cham. The simple Vietnamese classic. Comfort to me. Rice with that and a soft egg - I am home. Maybe some greenery alongside.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

44 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Get some black vinegar if you can to try.  That makes a dipping or noodle bowl sauce really pop.  It's malty/fruity with a umami undertone.    And it loves a bit of chili heat too.

@shain nailed it with his suggestions.

Thanks. I do have some black vinegar because it’s crucial for the dipping sauce for potstickers!  It would never win approval from @liuzhoubut you have to  accept  the limitations of lot is available. I find it quite adequate. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I do have some black vinegar because it’s crucial for the dipping sauce for potstickers!  It would never win approval from @liuzhoubut you have to  accept  the limitations of lot is available. I find it quite adequate. 

I'm not that strict! I have to accept limitations here, too. A lot of what you can easily find, I can't.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Still visiting my parents and my hometown. Meeting up with my best friend since childhood days - just us, in the woods next to an prehistoric site on a hill. No solid foods were harmed in this lunch gathering …

4B922449-27E8-4941-A3FF-832FD77C5A5D.thumb.jpeg.deb2252f77fadfd2d4d7f6b7a363631f.jpeg

1777990A-7DAD-4647-8CD1-3C987E86EC37.thumb.jpeg.841083d153ce6d9095de622caf8030ba.jpeg

80A22FD7-6A39-44ED-A4F3-ACCF790B1FFC.thumb.jpeg.37280c9bde093ebed622f41a83b61868.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

qxHRTlu.jpg

Quark with grated beetroot

ozQxp2j.jpg

Rollmops

Tic8eTC.jpg

Straight out of the fish's cavity (done by "my" regular market fishmonger). You need the best butter and best bread for this.

eFmSC4q.jpg

Wish I could share this with @chefmd

However, I draw the line when it comes to raw oysters, which only need lime/lemon juice.

WcNCsPy.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

Not the DTs!!

Up here in the frozen north we call that a Barley Sandwich. A fine lunch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

In our family it is "the sun is over the yard arm somewhere." (Irish railroader family equivalent to "it's five o'clock somewhere" but earlier of course!)

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)

504A8E12-0231-4057-A66C-4368594DCF9B.thumb.jpeg.359eb90290f8d152a51991899d8e2c3f.jpeg

Was supposed to be breakfast but I was moving very slowly this morning! Denver/ Western -style omelet —  pancetta, scallion, red pepper.  Drizzle of excellent balsamic on the tomato. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1B67979E-42A3-45B3-AEB8-E7B012F846C5.thumb.jpeg.d819086c7f9aceca4c481652e3801f88.jpeg

@Kerry Bealwas doing a little grocery shopping for me and spotted some baby leeks. I told her to grab a bunch. Here is half a bunch braised in Better than Boullion (Vegetable) and butter and then topped with buttered Panko and some excellent Parmesan cheese and broiled.  Bonus is the remaining cooking liquid which I could drink straight out of its storage jar but which I will freeze for future use. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Duck Kefta Tagine again from the new Mediterranean cookbook I've posted about before.

I actually cooked the meatballs in an oven this time instead of sous vide.  Worked very well, kept their shape a little better:

20211218_110949.thumb.jpg.6fd5d8ca7d16a05e25937ffb152f37f5.jpg

I made enough for 3 lunch/dinners.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

We drove down to Catalunya yesterday. About 200 km before we reached the border to Spain there was a sign on the highway: „Fresh local oyster“. Hey, why not … 

Seems the guy is popular for selling his oysters directly at the highway. We stopped, got a 4 kg pack for 30 Euro (notice the happy Duvel) …

0B7936F9-6EE2-4AD1-9E91-62B4D2469F50.thumb.jpeg.1991136e32391fea1600e653c644eb15.jpeg

… and ate them today for lunch.

8B09BDC3-CF3F-493A-AA30-274CD80E4DB9.thumb.jpeg.5b1fd2b8614b5be9e208a7c275f7c10f.jpeg

Accompanied by some little extras …

506BAC6F-D89C-43A5-AD46-5FB569E3986F.thumb.jpeg.903e3aa7b31c9b2470f1f89e562ee8ac.jpeg

… and two white wines. Happy Duvel indeed !

1DCDF928-7589-491C-B612-63880FAE6C5E.thumb.jpeg.b86f5b0fde952af8d3962e89d59a82b9.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 2

Cloud number 9!

RBuW6TJ.jpg

Best seat on the plane... is next to an empty one!

AC0lj3E.jpg

From one volcanic island to another...

W0YDIPC.jpg

A simple meal before going to bed (normal dinner time here):

2E43xVe.jpg

8NEQR3R.jpg

No alcohol with your meal in this world's 4th wine producing and wine consuming country? Impossible! Luckily I love both.

gYNIaTV.jpg

Runway has been extended. One of the most challenging airports to land due to constant gutsy winds that change so quickly. You can clearly see the extension of the runway in this photo. I think they extended it after a plane plunged into the sea.

KtxlnJ2.jpg

I've been here for 2 days now. So green and clean my mind is blown. Our national decorations at home are rubbish and dog crap, my eyes hurt seeing so much greenery and so many flowers at every turn!

j3FDI2K.jpg

Madeira's place in the travel world: "top island destination"! The highest possible honour that is bestowed on an insignificant archipelago in the middle of the ocean!

8VWbymY.jpg

23 hours ago, Duvel said:

a sign on the highway: „Fresh local oyster“

0B7936F9-6EE2-4AD1-9E91-62B4D2469F50.jpeg

Dude, I would be so happy, too, if I got a fantastic deal on oysters!

Me! (only thing missing here is a crate of craft beer!)

HPUpa0F.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Cloud number 9!

RBuW6TJ.jpg

Best seat on the plane... is next to an empty one!

AC0lj3E.jpg

From one volcanic island to another...

W0YDIPC.jpg

A simple meal before going to bed (normal dinner time here):

2E43xVe.jpg

8NEQR3R.jpg

No alcohol with your meal in this world's 4th wine producing and wine consuming country? Impossible! Luckily I love both.

gYNIaTV.jpg

Runway has been extended. One of the most challenging airports to land due to constant gutsy winds that change so quickly. You can clearly see the extension of the runway in this photo. I think they extended it after a plane plunged into the sea.

KtxlnJ2.jpg

I've been here for 2 days now. So green and clean my mind is blown. Our national decorations at home are rubbish and dog crap, my eyes hurt seeing so much greenery and so many flowers at every turn!

j3FDI2K.jpg

Madeira's place in the travel world: "top island destination"! The highest possible honour that is bestowed on an insignificant archipelago in the middle of the ocean!

8VWbymY.jpg

0B7936F9-6EE2-4AD1-9E91-62B4D2469F50.jpeg

Dude, I would be so happy, too, if I got a fantastic deal on oysters!

Me! (only thing missing here is a crate of craft beer!)

HPUpa0F.jpg

Fascinating.  I hope to see much more of your trip!  I love Madeira's fortified wines but know very little about the place or its food in general.

• Like 1

Saturday's lunch that I forgot to post, a seafood boil that I picked up from ZEF BBQ:

IMG_4745.thumb.jpeg.2d5f2164827f14a2affdb81b9efec9d7.jpeg

I didn't have high hopes for corn at this time of year, but it was very tender and juicy and everything was cooked perfectly.

I also got an order of shrimp and grits which was so amazingly decadent that I split it into 2 meals and an excellent oxtail with rice and beans that I had for yesterday's late lunch and neglected to even photograph. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin 

sounds delicious 

was the lemon boiled w the seafood + ?

interesting idea.

Yes, I believe it was. I gave it a good squeeze over everything and the flavor was still bright but more mellow and not as sharp as a fresh lemon. 

The whole business was packed in a plastic bag that was knotted so everything stayed submerged.  I ate it as soon as I got home and was glad that I did because I'm not sure how everything would have held up to reheating. 

• Like 3