• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Can't believe I still cooked supper after the cooking party in the afternoon! But hubby needed to be fed. Supper was at 8:30 PM
Used up some of the leftover vegetables, and made up Sesame Chicken

1404659791_SesameChicken0758.jpg.de50b155f72e5dd4d40ccac5e994c60e.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Spaghetti with scallops and cherry tomatoes.  

Looks amazing. What seasonings/sauce did you use?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Looks amazing. What seasonings/sauce did you use?

It is essentially this recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019981-seared-scallop-pasta-with-burst-tomatoes-and-herbs?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=12

though I do not follow the technique in the recipe at all.  I make the sauce first and keep it warm (and I add a knob of butter to the sauce too), while I cook the pasta.  I sear the scallops in a separate pan during the last few minutes of cooking the pasta.   It's very flexible.  I had lots of herbs on hand yesterday, so put in chives, basil, parsley and mint.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

It is essentially this recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019981-seared-scallop-pasta-with-burst-tomatoes-and-herbs?action=click&module=Local Search Recipe Card&pgType=search&rank=12

though I do not follow the technique in the recipe at all.  I make the sauce first and keep it warm (and I add a knob of butter to the sauce too), while I cook the pasta.  I sear the scallops in a separate pan during the last few minutes of cooking the pasta.   It's very flexible.  I had lots of herbs on hand yesterday, so put in chives, basil, parsley and mint.

I laugh because I rarely follow a recipe to the letter but look at them for basic concepts.   For that reason I don’t bake.   

• Like 2

The beginning of lent - time to give up precious habits, if only for 6 weeks. I decided for alcohol and carbs ...

Flash forward - feeling a bit deprived I found a Netflix show called „James May - Our man in Japan“. After the first episode I was feeling very much sorry for myself not living in Japan (or Asia in general) anymore and I decided to toast to myself ...

FF0DF03E-CDA0-4613-85FF-9B5B35E6D29B.thumb.jpeg.96fd8fc94ba0da5ac4b277c193f37966.jpeg

Whiskey highball (with one my last Hakushu bottles)

About half way in the second episode I feel the sincere urge for some Japanese food. Luckily I found a pouch of Kaigun Kare (Japanese Navy Curry) and I remembered some frozen Udon in the freezer ...

52052169-617D-4F3E-AFE9-9C7B34E04683.thumb.jpeg.523e4b38e7e20503e3b1cfa79082d542.jpeg

C3F13821-5FF0-4D44-8017-FF2103A857FF.thumb.jpeg.53f35a87c345efdfd6bfd0540eaba30b.jpeg

The combination of Kaigun Kare (augmented by some cubes of SV corned beef) and a decent highball works so perfectly !

So, I modified my lent theme to „give up good intentions“ until Easter, which I believe I will suceed in 😉

Ganbarimasu !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9

No no no the new view is embracing a good path rather than "giving up" something at least where I live  - seriously!  Like white at funerals.  I really want those noodles now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

My sister has been giving me an Omaha Steaks package at Christmas for the last few years.  I used the last package for dinner tonight-- Italian beef meatballs.  I have a friend who says his wife cooks raw meatballs by putting them  in with the sauce and cooking them together.  I tried it. I put the frozen meatballs and some sauce together and cooked them on low for a couple of hours.  They turned out OK.  I made some garlic bread from a hamburger bun that was starting to dry out a little.

20200226_165918.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I have a friend who says his wife cooks raw meatballs by putting them  in with the sauce and cooking them together.

I do that sometimes. Not frozen balls, though.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Do it yourself summer rolls.... With lime/fish sauce based dip cause it's healthier...

20200226_195906.thumb.jpg.6613e660e68f024c9f49dc1b7a05b294.jpg

I also prefer it to the heavy peanut sauce - not per health just taste How I was raised

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Ran across a new (to us) recipe that I had to try-Brazilian Cheese Bread.  There are several different ways to make it, but, this looked like the easiest.  Reminded me a tiny bit of popovers only they were "chewier".  We liked them and gluten-free folks might want to try, too.  thumbnail_IMG_7517.jpg.d3743df9ebabd96d7936b13b3aa67551.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7518.jpg.470971c59dacfe8730530136e7306700.jpg

Ate them with the homemade pasta and oxtail ragu that seems to be never ending.  I keep freezing the ragu and then I can't get my mind off of it and I have to eat it again.

thumbnail_IMG_7520.jpg.69146fca363fb7a2fc7d7200d1ab4650.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

13 hours ago, KennethT said:

Do it yourself summer rolls.... With lime/fish sauce based dip cause it's healthier...

20200226_195906.thumb.jpg.6613e660e68f024c9f49dc1b7a05b294.jpg

Love these types of meals - especially Vietnamese rolls!

A local place has a $25 'platter' which includes a plate of various (pick your own) meats/fillings (I typically get bettle leaf w/ beef, spring rolls and house made pork sausage or grilled chicken) and a plate of greeneries (lettuce, herbs, pickled things, etc) and then the rice paper rolls.  Great deal, feeds 2-3 people easily.

I too am in the Nuoc Cham fan club. 

• Like 1