• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Haven’t tried salting apples, but I do salt watermelon, celery, radishes and (sometimes) carrots.

Yep.  I salt all of those!  I grew up with a salt-loving mom.  We used to have dry olives because we'd sip the brine out of the jar.  When Dirty Martinis became a thing, we were all over those!  I still love a REALLY dirty martini!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of recent breakfasts:

IMG_3848.jpg.583f88757c75bd6e625aca2a8d2277b7.jpg

Toasted cinnamon raisin bread, sage sausage, and hard cooked eggs.  The cinnamon raisin bread is gone now, of course.  We cannot keep it in the house.  Especially if we have peanut butter.  And if we have blueberry preserves, forget it – it’s gone in two days. 

Today - because sometimes you just feel like being trashy:

IMG_3865.jpg.d11f71df1ca059f51908c4843060611e.jpg

Whomp sweet rolls.  I somehow ended up with a coupon for a free roll of these.  I think I “Karen-ed” them about another product and they sent me a bunch of freebies.  The rolls were about to expire and it just seemed like breakfast.  So, with some sage sausage, it was:

IMG_3866.jpg.2ba4118da9a15606ffcc6b5c494d070a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

I salt apples, along with tomatoes, watermelon and canteloupe.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:43 AM, robirdstx said:

Haven’t tried salting apples, but I do salt watermelon, celery, radishes and (sometimes) carrots.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

48E111F3-A97A-44D2-8779-DF55FD5F141F.thumb.jpeg.80aee2a5ec1867081dee17ef534de9b2.jpeg

Onigirazu with a butter- and soy sauce basted fried egg. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday's breakfast was a Roti Pizza from Indian-ish which I made on a TJ's frozen paratha instead of roti.  Sliced red onion and sharp cheddar, topped with cilantro chutney.  I'll make some roti today to compare.

IMG_3215.jpeg.cd49bb6ede418c37e2a356ef102ce912.jpeg

Today, a gingerbread waffle (recipe from Jubilee, waffle most recently from my freezer) served as a vector for lemon curd. Too hungry to take a "before" photo 🙃

IMG_3216.jpeg.d45624078fd06d9ec50f8a813ebddb8a.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

More of a brunch I guess. Makhlouta (which means "a mixture" in Arabic). Made of ful (fava beans) and chickpeas, cooked very tender and served with plenty of good olive oil, lemon, spices (garlic, cumin and minced parsley in my case) and an optional dollop of tahini. I added some chopped onion, freshly made green zchug and long-cooked haminados eggs.

In Israel, this version is served in hummus restaurants. I'm not sure if it is directly related to the Lebanese stew of the same name (it's also made of mixed legumes and grains) or was it just names the same for being a mixture of fava and chickpeas which are common in many Hummus restaurants (I feel funny using this term - no one here will refer to a "Humusseria", i.e. hummus-place as a restaurant). The "restaurant" version is often served with lots of oil [for example]. I prefer it less rich (it's heavy enough), using a smaller amount of really good oil instead

PXL_20201017_103403065.thumb.jpg.94b6110b8f9e7a91fc1bdc21bd7f0858.jpgPXL_20201017_103608176.thumb.jpg.e3368b11ed4f695dfe37b33c2d2b32d3.jpg

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

Made of ful (fava beans) and chickpeas

I LOVE ful, it's one of the first things I eat when I get off the plane any place that has it! Sometimes I try to make it using Italian fava beans, but it's not the same! 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, ambra said:

I LOVE ful, it's one of the first things I eat when I get off the plane any place that has it! Sometimes I try to make it using Italian fava beans, but it's not the same! 

Nothing special about the local beans, I don't think. The only "secret" I know of is a good long soak and and a long slow cooking time. Some flavorings perhaps? Bay leaves and garlic are commonly added, some add an onion or carrot. I like it with a really peppery olive oil, but in some African countries ghee is also common. I knew of places that add lentils, to mellow the fava taste and make it more paste like as they break down.

If you like ful, do try it on top of a sharp tangy labneh, with plenty of olive oil and cumin. That's my favorite way to eat ful. Tomatoes, chilies and a boiled egg are a must. In the picture below it's a salad based on egg, pickles, onion and tahini; as well as a salad of tomatoes and chili.

IMG_20180825_154327_1.thumb.jpg.4b313725655b86765068d2eacf897fbf.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

41 minutes ago, shain said:

Nothing special about the local beans, I don't think. The only "secret" I know of is a good long soak and and a long slow cooking time. Some flavorings perhaps? Bay leaves and garlic are commonly added, some add an onion or carrot. I like it with a really peppery olive oil, but in some African countries ghee is also common. I knew of places that add lentils, to mellow the fava taste and make it more paste like as they break down.

If you like ful, do try it on top of a sharp tangy labneh, with plenty of olive oil and cumin. That's my favorite way to eat ful. Tomatoes, chilies and a boiled egg are a must. In the picture below it's a salad based on egg, pickles, onion and tahini; as well as a salad of tomatoes and chili.

IMG_20180825_154327_1.thumb.jpg.4b313725655b86765068d2eacf897fbf.jpg

These are the only fava beans I can get here. When I get fresh in spring, I do all kinds of fun recipes. These I reserve for fave e cicorie. But yes, that's definitely the way I enjoy Ful!  So delicious! 😊

image.png.1a4133f881dcce3505fe1d9e89f0c795.png

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 1

Once again forgot to take a picture — but green tomato shakshuka was brunch yesterday. Really came out well.

We got a bunch of green tomatoes from our CSA a week ago — I was going to pickle them, but while I was getting around to it, half of them ripened. So not worth the effort.

I remembered that Rawia Bishara's tomatillo shakshuka was originally developed as a green tomato recipe, so figured it couldn't hurt to try.

Of course I didn't actually follow her recipe or any other, just used what I had. Sauteed onions, mild jalapeños, a random Hungarian Wax pepper, and garlic, then added in the diced green tomatoes. Simmered that with a bit of water (with a touch of bouillon powder since I didn't have stock open), some ground coriander, and a little can of roasted green chiles (these were Target brand, but I usually get the ones from TJ's). Forgot to add cumin at the beginning, so sizzled up some cumin seeds in oil and threw that in midway through. Also roasted two slightly sickly poblanos in the CSO; peeled, chopped, and thrown in when they were ready. Let it all simmer down until the tomatoes were tender. Stirred in some ribbons of spinach for extra green towards the end of that.

In with the eggs, which I actually nailed the texture on for once. Finished with lemon juice, parsley, and some crumbles of cotija.

Really tasty and we felt good eating it. I'd repeat it frequently if I had access to green tomatoes! Tomatillos would be fine, I'm sure, but good ones are hard to find reliably here (and that was when I was shopping in person).

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 3

29B623CA-9B28-4593-8F9E-ED25CD544DF0.thumb.jpeg.a8e4ae160cfb2f5d32f723837670045d.jpeg

Toasted sourdough bread spread with slow-roasted sweet potato purée mashed with some miso butter then topped with soft scrambled eggs and Campari tomato dice.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@liamsaunt – lovely sandwich – almost a Spanglish!

@blue_dolphin – well it’s hard to tell (😉), but the combination of lemon curd and gingerbread waffle sounds perfect! 

Some recent breakfasts - sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits (the biscuits were frozen ones):

IMG_3894.jpg.778c05c02d945a9034603fe862597701.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg.9fe5adc3889e68b7fb3d8f0dc849a286.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg.0091b0d1b3e136746b81ba12475977e5.jpg

Yesterday I had a PT appointment and stopped on the way home at our bagel place for a BEC on an ET bagel:

IMG_3903.jpg.ad1ac1f731015a5f6dda3f38d669e16b.jpg

Later in the day, I took some panettone out of the freezer and made French toast to have on hand this week:

IMG_3899.jpg.68bef1b75058949d4a6cc729a142f7c3.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg.95be4851e297fbbb3612423ee008035b.jpg

This morning Mr. Kim came back from an early doctor’s appointment with these:

IMG_3904.jpg.2330a333ebe45e421d9508fa73287f3e.jpg

From our favorite doughnut place. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

D5F32C9D-10B0-443F-9698-D1A82F5AA759.thumb.jpeg.32f49b1c795bb6783c1bc6d1c4d8bab2.jpeg

Toasted sourdough, sweet potato purée, roasted shallots and mushrooms, and a fried egg. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@Ann_T 

mighty fine looking CPP  Ill say !

hoping the CeleryCount was low to zero.

TJ's has decent TurkPP , w no celery 

and a single puff-like pastry top

nice enough 

but the CPP has celery in it 

someone needs to get On the Ball.

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      ALMOND CUSCUS WITH CRANBERRIES AND PINEAPPLE

I hate getting up in the morning. My household knows that before 8 o'clock I'm unbearable, and because almost every day I wake up much earlier, I tend to be unbearable more frequently than I want. Every extra five minutes of sleep is priceless, so I appreciate a good breakfast that is not too complicated and is quick to prepare.

Recently, I have been preparing breakfast with groats and flakes. This time I chose cuscus. This product is a cross between pasta and groats, and it doesn't need long to prepare. It is enough to add hot water or milk and leave for a few minutes. I added some fresh pineapple, cranberries and banana. I spiced it up with some hot chili pepper .

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      125g of cuscus
      400ml of almond milk
      1 tablespoon of honey
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      2 slices of fresh pineapple
      1 teaspoon of minced chili pepper
      150g of fresh cranberries
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 banana
      4 tablespoons of flaked almonds

Wash the cranberries and put them into a pot. Add two tablespoons of water and the brown sugar. Boil, stirring gently until the cranberries burst and the sauce has thickened. Boil the almond milk with the vanilla essence. Pour the milk onto the cuscus and leave for 5-7 minutes. Slice the banana and roast the almond flakes. Peel the pineapple and dice it. Mix the pineapple, chili pepper and honey. Add the pineapple to the cuscus and mix it in. Put the mixture into two bowls. Put the cranberries and banana on the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      LUNCH FROM THE JAR, I.E. LAYERED SALAD IN THE OFFICE

Most of us take lunch boxes to the office. Some lucky people can warm their food up at work The rest have to eat sandwiches. Sandwiches are great, but even if we absolutely love them we could get fed up with them in the end. Regardless of where we work we can save the situation with salads. Every day we can prepare a different one and we have an entirely new lunch. If we also take an attractive dish, we have something that is not only tasty but also glamorous.

I would like to share with you the recipe for a salad which looks equally as beautiful as it is yummy. The chickpeas and groats make it a satisfying and balanced meal, after which we won't be hungry. I think that if you prepare your lunch in the morning and plan to eat it at lunchtime, we should keep the salad and the dip separately. Otherwise, after a few hours in the jar, we have an unappetising dish with squishy lettuce, which isn't what we want, is it?

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      1 beetroot
      200g of tinned chickpeas
      100g of bulgur
      1 carrot
      1 fresh green pepper
      4 lettuce leaves
      200g of natural yoghurt
      handful of minced chives
      1 small chili pepper
      salt and pepper

Clean the beetroot and bake or boil it. Grate the beetroot and carrot. Cut the pepper into thin strips. Boil the bulgur in salty water. Arrange in layers in a jar the beetroot, chickpeas, pepper, bulgur, carrot and lettuce. Dice the chili pepper. Mix the natural yoghurt with the chives and chili pepper. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Add the dip to the salad just before serving.

• By Lisa Shock
      I developed this recipe for a friend who wound up with many cans of Solo brand apricot filling and was wondering what to make with them. I adapted this recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, found on page 90 of the Cake Bible. The apricot filling works it way down through the cake and winds up near the bottom of the pan, making an attractive top later when the cake is inverted. Please use some sort of ring pan that holds at least 9 cups. You may substitute butter for the toasted almond oil, but remember that the oil adds flavor. I specifically developed this recipe with the home cook in mind, regular salted butter, and AP flour work well here. To reduce the sodium, use unsalted butter.  

Ingredients
      113 grams (1 stick) salted butter
      26 grams toasted almond oil
      200 grams sugar
      6 grams vanilla extract
      4 egg yolks
      160 grams regular sour cream (do not use low fat or fat free)
      50 grams almond meal
      175 grams all-purpose flour
      2 1/2 grams baking powder
      2 1/2 grams baking soda
      12 ounces (1 can) Solo Apricot Filling

12 Servings
      Preheat the oven to 350°
      Spray a 9+ cup tube or Bundt pan with non-stick spray or grease with an oil & soy lecithin blend.

Lightly toast the almond meal in a frying pan on the stove top until it has a light beige color and has a mild fragrance. Allow to cool.

Cream together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the vanilla and egg yolks, mix until the mixture is even and creamy. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add the cooled almond flour and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and mix until it everything is evenly incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.

Place 2/3 of the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Place the apricot filling in an even layer on top, keeping a small space between the filling and the pan's edges. Place the remaining batter on top and smooth to create a relatively even surface.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes at 350° or until the top is dark brown and springs back to a light touch.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the pan onto a serving plate. Cool and serve. Be cautious about serving this hot, as the apricot filling can cause serious burns. When fully cooled, cover or wrap in plastic wrap to store. Will keep for several days in a cool, dry place.

Nutrition (thanks MasterCook!) 
      324 calories, 15g fat, (7g sat fat, 6g mono-unsat fat, 1g ploy-unsat fat), 5g protein, 43g carbohydrates, 175mg sodium, 101mg potassium,  58g calcium
      42% calories from fat, 52% calories from carbohydrates, 6% calories from protein
    • By Kasia
      Omelette with courgette and tomato salsa.

Today I added a bit of chili pepper to tomato-basil salsa. Because it was quite spicy I decided to add it to a mild dish. I prepared an omelette with courgette and goat cheese. The salsa added an excellent piquancy to it. I recommend this dish for a fast and light meal.

Ingredients:

omelette
      3 eggs
      150g of courgette
      3-4 slices of goat cheese
      2 tablespoons of milk
      1 tablespoon of flour
      1 tablespoon of butter
      salt and pepper

salsa
      2 tomatoes
      3 tablespoons of minced basil
      quarter of an onion
      2 cloves of garlic
      half a chili pepper
      3 tablespoons of olive oil
      2 tablespoons of lemon juice
      1 teaspoon of honey

Start by preparing the salsa. Cube the tomato and dice the garlic, onion and chili pepper. Mix the vegetables together. Make a sauce with the olive oil, lemon juice and honey. Add it to the vegetables and mix it in. Leave in the fridge.
      Slice the courgette very thin. Whisk the eggs with the milk and add the flour. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a pan. Pour half the egg mass into it and fry for a while at medium heat. Arrange half of the courgette slices on top along with the slices of goat cheese and the rest of the courgette. Pour the rest of the egg mass onto it and fry it. When the eggs have congealed, turn the omelette upside down and fry for a few seconds. Serve at once with the tomato salsa.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Holiday brunch.

During the holiday, eating is a waste of time for my children. Although breakfast should be a balanced and calm meal, at this time it is eaten quickly and carelessly. Sometimes I need to wrest my children away from their play and nourish their young bodies with brunch.

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a very simple egg and vegetable brunch. Though my children like all vegetables, the look of the food made them anxious. Only the soft boiled eggs settled them down and got them eating. After a while there were two empty glasses in the dishwasher and my children could go back to playing. It was good, because the holiday is almost over.

Ingredients (for 3 people)
      half an onion
      2 cloves of garlic
      1 tablespoon of butter
      300g of courgette
      1 red pepper
      2 tomatoes
      2 sprigs of rosemary
      2 sprigs of thyme
      3 tablespoons of minced chives
      3 eggs

Dice the onion and garlic and fry them in butter. Remove the core from the tomatoes. Cube the courgette, tomatoes and red pepper. Put one of the cubed tomatoes to one side. Add the second tomato and the rest of the vegetables to the onion and stew on a low heat for 10 minutes. Boil some water and carefully put the eggs into the water. Boil for 5 minutes. Cool them down and carefully remove the shell. Mix the stewed vegetables in with the rest of the tomato. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Put the vegetables into a cup. Arrange the eggs on top and cut them up with a sharp knife. Spice up the egg with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chives.
      Serve at once.

Enjoy your meal!