• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

David Ross

2018 Holiday Cooking and Baking

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@Porthos, that apple-walnut-raisin-cranberry pie sounds interesting. Is there any chance you're share the recipe? It might be a nice twist for our family gathering.

I'm with Smithy please, Porthos.

Ack, to add to the stress of food prep, I'm sick. I had to write out a list for hubby to get some items since I planned to start some things this weekend and freeze to make the actual day run a bit smoother. I am making a tomato bisque and mushroom/shallot/herb dressing (I've made the dressing before and I know it reheats well). I also planned to make turkey gravy with purchased extra wings (looked for them on Monday and didn't see any, getting nervous). Balsamic/honey roasted carrots. Will be interesting to see what he comes home with (despite my detailed list organized by location in the store), I am really trying to avoid the supermarket this weekend. My sister is bringing a spinach-based veg side dish and Mom is making twice-baked potatoes. Apple pie will be purchased from a local farm that makes good ones. Ice cream. Perhaps Ghiradelli brownies (box of mix at the ready in the pantry!).

• Sad 1

@Smithy Your request gave me the imputes to finally word-process the recipe. My DW use Excel, which drives me to distraction.

Mom's Apple Raisin Walnut Cranberry Pie

4 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup walnuts
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
2 pie crusts to fit a 9- or 10-inch pie pan

Heat oven to 425F.

In a large bowl, mix the first four ingredients.  In a small bowl, mix the flour and sugar together.  Sprinkle the flour/sugar mixture over the large bowl, mixing lightly with fingers.  Place first pie crust

into pie pan, pricking with a fork.  Pour the fruit mixture into the pie shell.  Dot with the margarine or butter, then cover with second pie crust, crimping
edges together and making sure top crust is vented.

Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then turn down oven to 350F for about 45 minutes.

*** I use Braeburn apples ***

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1