• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

23 hours ago, heidih said:

Your zucchini always appeals. How did you make the "pancake"?

@heidih It's just a matter of laying the  thin slices out in a pattern over medium heat in a fry pan. Then I season with garlic powder, smoked paprika and tajin and hit them with freshly grated parmesan to kind of hold the whole thing together. The first flip is the hard part, trying to keep them together, then add the same seasoning to the other side, flip one more time after a few minutes and it's done.

HC 

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Kim Shook's comment yesterday about roasted pear French toast got me to thinking.  I've never made stuffed French toast and most that I've seen in restaurants look like sugar bombs but I bet roasted pear could be lovely.  

I decided to try something a bit more savory -   mushroom & spinach stuffed French toast

IMG_6383.thumb.jpg.4d26e716b9a55460ac8c3d1b26eb7258.jpg

IMG_6389.thumb.jpg.3832b8c8e8df853a269c79a0b2ec8292.jpg

I used the same thick-sliced brioche loaf (from TJ's) as yesterday.  I cut a pocket and stuffed in some leftover sautéed greens and mushrooms mixed with grated cheese.  I added plenty of salt & pepper to the egg mixture and sprinkled fried onion pieces on top.

I don't like mushrooms, but the idea (and the looks) of savory French toast appeals to me.  I could see a little drizzle of hollandaise over that.  As far as the fruit stuffed French toast goes, I know what you mean about sugar bombs - I love sweets and some of them I've had in restaurants have just been WAY too much.  When I do it, I use croissants stuffed with slightly sweetened cream cheese and whatever fruit I want - bananas, roasted pears or peaches, fried apples, etc.  That way I control the sweetness.  

• Like 4

French Toast Week xD continues chez blue_dolphin with another stuffed version....persimmon & chèvre stuffed French toast.  Just a touch of sweetness from the toast dope I sprinkled on while it was in the pan.

IMG_6395.thumb.jpg.eba2465bb2b264406dc1830752a45fed.jpg

IMG_6396.thumb.jpg.53ff469b50d985e618b8dfe1e8019440.jpg

Persimmon slices and pecans on the side.  This was OK but to be honest, cooking didn't do anything to highlight my lovely Fuyu persimmon - I think the tender/crisp texture and pretty star-shaped design is a large part of their charm - and it got a bit soft here.  I was glad to have the fresh slices alongside.

The little peewee size eggs I got at last week's farmers market are perfect to make one slice of French toast so I am taking advantage of them to use up that brioche loaf from the freezer.  Two servings left, I think.  The crispy fried onion coating was so tasty yesterday, I will surely make another savory version.  Not sure what.   

• Like 6

A6370851-C0E7-47C2-857A-2554C1913DFB.thumb.jpeg.f5bb5f8a7d90b3d3a7f5554d5034035e.jpeg

Kimchi omelette. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I love the idea of a French Toast Week.  xD

@robirdstx, how difficult do you find it to make those tortillas?  I haven't tried it yet, but I may do so.  Your post sent me off in a search, and I found this topic: Making Tortillas at Home. It covers both flour-based and masa-based tortillas.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

52 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@robirdstx, how difficult do you find it to make those tortillas?  I haven't tried it yet, but I may do so.  Your post sent me off in a search, and I found this topic: Making Tortillas at Home. It covers both flour-based and masa-based tortillas.

They are not difficult at all. The topic you linked to above is the same one I read before making my first batch about 7 years ago. I am also planning to make some corn tortillas in the next week.

• Like 1

4F3CD60E-C0B3-4031-B53C-486396E6AF09.thumb.jpeg.b81252eb4511d26dbc5316e1355a4539.jpeg

Poached eggs on toast. These were farm-fresh eggs so I poached them conventionally. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

French Toast Week and National Leftovers Day collide - crispy onion coated, bacon & stuffing-stuffed French Toast with cranberry sauce:

IMG_6419.thumb.jpg.b8d34290acbcb9059fb9878c4587d074.jpg

My friend sent me home yesterday with a container of a delicious turkey stuffing chock full of nuts - chestnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, along with mushrooms, celery, onions & herbs.  I added some bacon crumbles and stuffed it into my French toast.

Salt & plenty of pepper in the milk & egg mixture and a covering of crispy fried onion pieces.  Excellent with a little tart homemade cranberry sauce.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

My child requested something she'd spotted on Facebook, so I obliged.

20171124_101747-1.thumb.jpg.7f1044672b03d0847c236c19266df1bc.jpg

Cranberry brie bites, made with crescent roll dough from the can, a chunk of brie, and a spoonful of cranberry sauce. The recipe would have you use the canned whole berry sauce. I used my cranberry salad. The cranberry pepper jelly or the cranberry ketchup, neither of which I have tried, might have been good.

Acceptable, as they were. I ate six.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

FEE4C95B-DDEF-4B54-91B3-56B8E80D266C.thumb.jpeg.d2e6a9e52b7d8be0457e17da6159aa55.jpeg

The intention was an Egg McMuffin. The reality was a rather mushed up egg on a toasted English muffin.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1FFE463C-4EFB-4288-95E8-877D29E6E091.thumb.jpeg.1105bf26bf20471d1c631e6243a608d3.jpeg 

More leftover sous vide pork chop on a homemade bun. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/25/2017 at 11:07 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Ham & cheese-stuffed French toast:

IMG_6420.thumb.jpg.15db238dd349817bfcb04d32e40391b4.jpg

Black Forest ham, Comté cheese & grainy mustard inside, crispy onion pieces outside.  Broccoli & red bell pepper in the background.

You're killing me.

• Like 2

4C4ED8BB-E601-48C6-A2E9-6B163F533E6B.thumb.jpeg.b7334406a202ef13707a17bbd7b1968e.jpeg

Eye of round roast on a homemade bun with some kimchi. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog