• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_1885.thumb.JPG.7261ce3f4856918476c3ec63b449582e.JPG

Two overcooked poached eggs on homemade toast spread with muhammara. (So far I have found nothing that improves poached eggs on buttered toast.)

Have you put Crystal hot sauce on it?        

HC's breakfast posts made me buy a bottle, now I am hooked on the stuff..   I use it  like a tangy salt element.  It is the  second best   Louisiana style hot sauce I have  tasted and certainly best for the money.   I can't get kaitaia fire hot sauce from NZ around here anymore and when I could it was more than 10x as expensive and only slightly better for my taste. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

2 hours ago, Ashen said:

No. I would have to say that hot sauce doesn't really  figure very much in my eating patterns.  That's not to say it might not be good. It just does not occur to me to buy it or to use it. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, Captain said:

My wife and I would have Mayo & sweet chili sauce on our pouched eggs often.  The wife still has sweet chili with hers.

Give that a shot @Anna N

Not a fan of sweet chili sauce. Honestly I do not think one can improve on properly poached eggs served on homemade bread with decent butter. :) YMMV 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, Ashen said:

HC's breakfast posts made me buy a bottle, now I am hooked on the stuff..   I use it  like a tangy salt element.  It is the  second best   Louisiana style hot sauce I have  tasted and certainly best for the money.   I can't get kaitaia fire hot sauce from NZ around here anymore and when I could it was more than 10x as expensive and only slightly better for my taste. 

Let's be honest, sometimes, breakfast is just an excuse to break out the hot sauce early in the day.

HC

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

IMG_1953.thumb.JPG.4cf48244a5e3af13e2f8bdec8430e8f9.JPG

Shakshuka with some tomatoes that I was given, the last of the beautiful double yolk eggs and a warmed pita. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

sampler servings

So you must give us your opinion. :)

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

So you must give us your opinion. :)

I will post more over in the Deep Run Roots thread. Bottom line:   I made half-sized batches of both and will likely make more.  

Both are winners, especially the curried peach.  The figs are good, too, but a whole preserved fig is a bigger chunk of sweetness than suits my toast preferences.   I think the figs will be excellent with duck or pork, in a red wine, port or sherry vinegar sauce where you're already eating with a knife and fork and can more easily take a smaller bite. 

• Like 2

The stabilizing influence of zucchini and Crystal sauce on your breakfast table can never be overestimated. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

In a surprising, but not unpleasant development, it seems the hour or so I spent removing every last squash beetle from the zucchini plants has paid off. They have come back to life with a renewed vigor!

HC

IMG_0692.thumb.JPG.260c8f9759f3946d2d781eb59bbf20da.JPGIMG_0693.thumb.JPG.f5514663a54f9e6dc2bfdcf76912f3cd.JPG

Squash bugs are the epitome of evil.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This morning, seared foie gras and  toast (home made bread). With strong, black coffee, of course.

If I had that breakfast, I'd need to have a glass of champagne with it!

@shain recently mentioned figs on pizza in response to a query on dessert pizza.  Neither figs on pizza nor dessert pizza had ever occurred to me but with fresh figs on hand and a TJ's Tarte d'Alsace (ham, caramelized onion & gruyere) in the freezer, I was well equipped for this breakfast:

IMG_6134.thumb.jpg.484c0a59ad8e160c8c38d976a225df70.jpg

I'm happy to join the figs on pizza club! 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:
On 22/09/2017 at 10:27 AM, liuzhou said:

This morning, seared foie gras and  toast (home made bread). With strong, black coffee, of course.

If I had that breakfast, I'd need to have a glass of champagne with it!

I would have done (I have some) but I had to go to an important meeting immediately after breakfast. Next time.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The last few scraps of fresh haddock from last night, shishito peppers and yet another zucchini squash that I managed to pluck from the garden this morning that I gently sautéed and dusted with fresh grated Romano cheese after plating .

HC

IMG_0700.thumb.JPG.5c9ee7d5d4dc70abcc0e6ceb399b4a8a.JPGIMG_0703.thumb.JPG.61867fb6cf6d8ae7576caba365325a61.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3