Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)


Kim Shook

Recommended Posts

Last week a return to Saving Thyme.IMG_5870.thumb.jpeg.51bdbba462b33eb165b320af633c9c1e.jpeg
 

For me quiche with salad. Seconds after this photograph was taken the quiche skated off the plate did a  mid air flip and landed on the carpet with a debris field to rival that of the Titanic. 
 

IMG_5873.thumb.jpeg.84b4450dc4078d982fe8c074c4da3874.jpeg

 

kerry's gluten-free lunch which has been haunting me ever since I watched her enjoy it. It is high on my list for an upcoming lunch.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's lunch was amazing. We tried a new place called Hakka Rise. The menu goes on forever so we were both a little leery. Everything was excellent if someone's spicier than we like.

 

IMG_3174.thumb.jpeg.bbb255a2cef29f5d1a47fa772ac8208d.jpeg

 

mango lassi for me. 
 

IMG_3175.thumb.jpeg.c3f0ca68e0d6ed84560d0a4bb12e31ed.jpeg

 

Wonton soup for me. 
 

IMG_5886.thumb.jpeg.f70e303a1b0959a18741a0f23bff3afa.jpeg

 

Hot and sour soup for Kerry. 
 

IMG_5885.thumb.jpeg.734c6d9b738e5ac1ea216f94dd7c490e.jpeg

then we shared some rice, some chicken fried MOMA, some Thai crispy beef and some Manchurian cauliflower.  Very satisfactory.

IMG_3177.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Today's lunch was amazing. We tried a new place called Hakka Rise. The menu goes on forever so we were both a little leery. Everything was excellent if someone's spicier than we like.

 

IMG_3174.thumb.jpeg.bbb255a2cef29f5d1a47fa772ac8208d.jpeg

 

mango lassi for me. 
 

IMG_3175.thumb.jpeg.c3f0ca68e0d6ed84560d0a4bb12e31ed.jpeg

 

Wonton soup for me. 
 

IMG_5886.thumb.jpeg.f70e303a1b0959a18741a0f23bff3afa.jpeg

 

Hot and sour soup for Kerry. 
 

IMG_5885.thumb.jpeg.734c6d9b738e5ac1ea216f94dd7c490e.jpeg

then we shared some rice, some chicken fried MOMA, some Thai crispy beef and some Manchurian cauliflower.  Very satisfactory.

IMG_3177.jpeg

Looks like my kind of meal. Also curious about the cauli

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's what I looked up before I ordered it - Gobi Manchurian

 

Think this recipe would duplicate nicely - Gobi Manchurian

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Today's lunch was amazing. We tried a new place called Hakka Rise. The menu goes on forever so we were both a little leery. Everything was excellent if someone's spicier than we like.

Thanks so much for this, Anna.    It is great to hear your cheerful voice.

  • Like 4

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You weren’t kidding about the length of their menu - wow!  
I was curious about:

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

chicken fried MOMA

so I looked it up on their website to see if it explained. I learned that momo are dumplings and these must be breaded or battered and fried but what was inside?  
 

Duh. I was over thinking. These must be chicken filled momo that are fried rather than steamed, not chicken-fried momo 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

You weren’t kidding about the length of their menu - wow!  
I was curious about:

so I looked it up on their website to see if it explained. I learned that momo are dumplings and these must be breaded or battered and fried but what was inside?  
 

Duh. I was over thinking. These must be chicken filled momo that are fried rather than steamed, not chicken-fried momo 🤣🤣🤣

Chicken fried was my first thought too!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

This should be Dames who Dine - cause it wasn't lunch!

 

I apparently required an interview to renew my Nexus card and I couldn't get an appointment until the 31st - however I received the news I had been approved a few days ago. I had already let @patris know that I was coming so she picked me up some cheese from Trader Joes and gathered some goodies for us to munch upon. 

 

IMG_6018.thumb.JPG.34fc6457487b03216552039f3f4cd478.JPG

 

 

IMG_6019.thumb.JPG.8846093b54d689c7e62113cbfdd4331b.JPG

 

check out these tasty sourdough discard cracker - addictive little bastards!

 

IMG_6021.thumb.JPG.01124e8c8734bffda43f3b14c7262d9f.JPG

 

IMG_6020.thumb.JPG.8c89428bc700575227809a7334edf244.JPG

 

72052830151__5320E019-9991-4962-83F6-AEEC42847BF2.thumb.JPG.6b50dba81f536166f18ee9f1dfcc95fa.JPG

 

And I smuggled Rutger Sour across the border to be reborn as a Canadian sour. 

 

 

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel a bit like an intruder here as it's always seemed that this was AnnaN's territory along with her partner in crime Kerry.

However.  Went to a new Mexican restaurant in Hamilton on Thursday where I had a favorite of mine, the veggie burrito.

It was huge so I brought half home.  Heating it up today for lunch I found that adding a lot of chili crunch, pico pica sauce, and hot salsa made it a lot better.

I do love lots of heat and spice.

Now it feels like I need to make my own version.

I forgot to add that there was two flights of stairs to get the the restaurant and no elevator.  (Only in MT)

I will not go back.

 

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, lindag said:

I feel a bit like an intruder here as it's always seemed that this was AnnaN's territory along with her partner in crime Kerry.

However.  Went to a new Mexican restaurant in Hamilton on Thursday where I had a favorite of mine, the veggie burrito.

It was huge so I brought half home.  Heating it up today for lunch I found that adding a lot of chili crunch, pico pica sauce, and hot salsa made it a lot better.

I do love lots of heat and spice.

Now it feels like I need to make my own version.

I forgot to add that there was two flights of stairs to get the the restaurant and no elevator.  (Only in MT)

I will not go back.

 

What are the veg components you would replicate. Beans I imagine plus? Pico Pica is a nice condiment - on my breakfast tortilla with egg every morning during my pregnancy years ago.!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

What are the veg components you would replicate. Beans I imagine plus? Pico Pica is a nice condiment - on my breakfast tortilla with egg every morning during my pregnancy years ago.!!!

I quite like beans (but I like pintos rather than black)  white rice, onion, cilantro, garlic, chipotle pepper and cheese.  I especially appreciated the chili crunch added with the Pico Pica.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is Pico Pica, please?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I feel a bit like an intruder here as it's always seemed that this was AnnaN's territory

 

I feel sure Anna woud be happy to know the topic is continuing.Think of it as a tribute to Anna from her many friends here.

  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

 

I feel sure Anna woud be happy to know the topic is continuing.Think of it as a tribute to Anna from her many friends here.

I think continuing the Ladies Who Lunch thread would be a great tribute to Anna, although perhaps we should not mention beans!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I think continuing the Ladies Who Lunch thread would be a great tribute to Anna, although perhaps we should not mention beans!

I had that same thought about the beans!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday my friend and I drove to nearby Hamilton to pick up groceries, deliver food gifts and have lunch.

My absolute favorite restaurant is here and I don't get there often because my friend abhors spicy food and will go there only reluctantly.

Their food is authentic and wonderful and this restaurant is the highest rated in that town.

For me it was Pad See Ew (spice level of four out of five)

For her it was Drunken Noodles (no spice please)

I was in heaven.

No pictures...it simply is not done here.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...