• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

I forgot to post about our lunch two weeks ago. 
IMG_5544.thumb.jpeg.3fc9db1fc3a582951d93483428e58028.jpeg

From Montfort, a well known middle eastern restaurant in Burlington, @Kerry Bealhad the mixed grill and a salad. 

IMG_2903.thumb.jpeg.c6b7179bf89f582418e4ac52922b3b7d.jpeg

I had the lamb shashlik with a tomato salad and some onion rings.  

This week our lunch came from the same restaurant. 

IMG_5574.thumb.jpeg.ed598a6356d829776122f78d7bfdd77f.jpeg

For Kerry chicken soup and Caesar salad. 

IMG_2937.thumb.jpeg.d2240c01f2e2a463f55046c2e6116efd.jpeg

For me beef goulash soup and garden salad.

IMG_2939.thumb.jpeg.68796e1e80f291f896db487a420f1843.jpeg

I also enjoyed some baklava.  

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

We were not eating together, but a friend shared her baklava.  I was expecting a couple of pieces.  It was more like a couple pounds.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

That looks more like something rolled than something layered. Am I looking at it correctly? If so, could you tell a difference between having layers vs. having everything rolled up? What was the pastry like?

I ask out of curiosity. The whole meal looks delicious!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

That looks more like something rolled than something layered. Am I looking at it correctly? If so, could you tell a difference between having layers vs. having everything rolled up? What was the pastry like?

I ask out of curiosity. The whole meal looks delicious!

I struggle to see most of what I eat so I can only tell you that it had the taste and texture of baklava. Perhaps @Kerry Bealcan offer a better explanation. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/1/2023 at 6:35 AM, Kerry Beal said:

I think it does look like the rolled variation. 

My friend who generously provided me with half a lifetime of baklava reports that the rolled version with almonds is Moroccan (as is her husband), while the rest of the baklava variations she gave me were Turkish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yesterday we enjoyed one of my very favourite lunches. We ordered a selection of appetizers from the Korean Japanese restaurant, Sakai.

IMG_5587.thumb.jpeg.de9eb14a7f21dfc4dd6b5518bedef4b8.jpeg

@Kerry Beal's plate with edamame and miso soup. 

IMG_2947.thumb.jpeg.e166ce9a9d96f308cfc0b2a927343fcd.jpeg

My plate. 
I also enjoyed lots of leftovers.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yesterday we enjoyed one of my very favourite lunches. We ordered a selection of appetizers from the Korean Japanese restaurant, Sakai.

IMG_5587.thumb.jpeg.de9eb14a7f21dfc4dd6b5518bedef4b8.jpeg

@Kerry Beal's plate with edamame and miso soup. 

IMG_2947.thumb.jpeg.e166ce9a9d96f308cfc0b2a927343fcd.jpeg

My plate. 
I also enjoyed lots of leftovers.

Everything looks great.  How does the tempura hold up as take away?

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Not bad at all - it's about 10 min from restaurant to table!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KennethT said:

Remarkably well. Which is not to say that it can hold a candle to freshly prepared and served tempura. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Remarkably well. Which is not to say that it can hold a candle to freshly prepared and served tempura. 

I miss our Manitoulin tempura nights

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today @Kerry Bealand I thought about ordering once again from Saving Thyme but they had a complex Mother's Day boxed meal promotion going on and we suspected we might not be wise to try ordering something on their ordinary menu. So we pivoted to the Middle Eastern restaurant, Montforts, again. 

IMG_5607.thumb.jpeg.6ac9d70f358a0912ed0b16428d536d50.jpeg

Kerry ordered kibbe, eggplant salad and another salad. She enjoyed her lunch and thankfully packed the leftovers home to her house!  

IMG_2966.thumb.jpeg.048658cd869a1cba66db7422f34f7071.jpeg

I choose poorly today. The last time we ordered from this restaurant I had the beef goulash soup and enjoyed it thoroughly. What could go wrong with ordering the chicken vegetable soup? Well they seem to have almost forgotten the vegetable part! There was loads and loads of chicken, some of it quite tough, one small carrot coin and a smidgen of cauliflower.  

To go with the soup I thought I would get adventurous and I ordered a kafta pita. I did do some minimal research to make sure it was something I might like but it turned out to be white I can only describe as a rather chewy hamburger in a pita bread with some salad.  You cannot win them all apparently. 

But the company as usual was top notch. And Kerry arrived with bottles of bitter lemon. It is so hard to get that drink around here and I just love it.  Oddly I was thinking about it only the other day and trying to source some but I had not mentioned it to anybody. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, it's the company that matters most! What is bitter lemon?

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

An elevated G & T

Sounds good. I'll have to look for bitter lemon!

• Like 1

Sourcing lunch was a bit of a challenge today. It is a holiday and a Monday. Many restaurants close even on a non-holiday Monday and even more today. So after having our hopes dashed when we discovered that Rose in the Kitchen was closed, returned once again to Montforts. I knew I was not particularly hungry and fancied a bowl of soup and a small sandwich. Unfortunately the only sandwiches they offer are in pita bread and that wasn't quite what I wanted. Oh well. 
IMG_2989.thumb.jpeg.c8dfb8d11a9a4bbda484d2a0f7f1656b.jpeg

I settled for a bowl of their beef goulash soup which was not nearly as good as the last time I ordered it. 

IMG_5674.thumb.jpeg.13879e264cd7f58b0138a744228862ef.jpeg

@Kerry Bealsupplemented her goulash soup with falafel. Not our greatest lunch by any means. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sourcing lunch was a bit of a challenge today. It is a holiday and a Monday. Many restaurants close even on a non-holiday Monday and even more today. So after having our hopes dashed when we discovered that Rose in the Kitchen was closed, returned once again to Montforts. I knew I was not particularly hungry and fancied a bowl of soup and a small sandwich. Unfortunately the only sandwiches they offer are in pita bread and that wasn't quite what I wanted. Oh well. 
IMG_2989.thumb.jpeg.c8dfb8d11a9a4bbda484d2a0f7f1656b.jpeg

I settled for a bowl of their beef goulash soup which was not nearly as good as the last time I ordered it. 

IMG_5674.thumb.jpeg.13879e264cd7f58b0138a744228862ef.jpeg

@Kerry Bealsupplemented her goulash soup with falafel. Not our greatest lunch by any means. 

I liked your post because I feel like the time together is most important!  But sorry the offerings were disappointing, that's always a nice bonus.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2023 at 6:45 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Bitter Lemon

Very refreshing soda - british - really nice with gin. 

I managed to track down some Bitter Lemmon.  Mixed with Tanqueray Gin, it makes a really refreshing drink!

• Like 2

@Kerry Bealwas working in Hamilton today so we decided to get lunch from BAB again. I ordered the Korean fried chicken and Kerry ordered the scallion pancake but we basically shared. Both plates look very similar.

IMG_5692.thumb.jpeg.d326dd46dec249034a8e62dae8e4dfd0.jpeg

Kerry's plate. 

IMG_3028.thumb.jpeg.11436db4415c16c4acc92c78acd1a182.jpeg

My plate. 
Despite a 30 minute or more car ride the chicken arrived wonderfully crispy on the outside and tender and moist on the inside. There are plenty of leftovers for me in the refrigerator. 

Edited by Anna N
Typos. (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I love Korean fried chicken.  There is a chef/owner restaurant here that we visit from time to time called Table Sodam.  It is a small place, seats maybe 25 or so people and the food is terrific.  Last time there the place was full and we were the only non-Koreans there.  @Anna N assuming your restaurant offers it, do you ever get Corn Cheese?

Edited by ElsieD
Reversed corn cheese (log)
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I love Korean fried chicken.  There is a chef/owner restaurant here that we visit from time to time called Table Sodam.  It is a small place, seats maybe 25 or so people and the food is terrific.  Last time there the place was full and we were the only non-Koreans there.  @Anna N assuming your restaurant offers it, do you ever get Cheese Corn?

I have never heard of cheese corn. Sounds very interesting.  I don't think this restaurant offers it but their full menu is all in Korean so it may be hidden.

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)

My 2004 eG Blog