• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@KennethTthe food on your trip looks fantastic.  I haven’t made the rice rolls in quite some time but I recall I used an 8” round cake tin sprayed with oil set in my big steamer.  Poured in batter to coat the pan and bobs your uncle, they were done.  So delicious even with just some chili crisp and no meat.  I think it is time to make them again and I will try the meat mushroom idea with green onions perhaps…I can’t buy decent sprouts here.

Yeah, the food on that trip was amazing.  We don't usually repeat trips to places, but if we were, Saigon would be high on the list, just for the food.  If you can get it, use Thai basil rather than green onion or a mix of the two?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to have been ages since @Kerry Bealand I enjoyed lunch together. So today was very welcome. We tried a new Korean place in Hamilton Click

I could not find the menu when I was trying to order some thing, but I desperately wanted to try Korean fried chicken, so I didn’t worry too much about the menu. 
72E5C621-5D87-4B99-B523-F1E4C3FE5F74.thumb.jpeg.518fa89ece6e1de19f7aa1b2d798f311.jpegThe Korean chicken as it arrived. 

F8EF7B9B-DC99-4C08-B39B-2A6EF596D726.thumb.jpeg.3cd1f6e8741d4ca8294924bd5d9e11a3.jpeg

Kerry’s seafood, pancake as it arrived.  
FDD526C5-6949-4DDF-A2FB-267B9165FA68.thumb.jpeg.d35ad9a0c0a213caafe99a25401b0d60.jpeg

Kerry’s plate. They were a bit mean with the banchan for sure.  

0C148FB9-0EAE-4058-9F55-40D24174697A.thumb.jpeg.7d69f9fb4f4685f56b4652b867d40c86.jpeg

My plate with fried chicken, a taste of Kerry’s pancake and the very stingy banchan. 

I loved the chicken I would definitely order it again. Lots of leftovers.  

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We love Korean fried chicken.  We go to a restaurant here on occasion that serves it with either a sweet soy sauce or a sweet and spicy sauce.  We usually get one of each.  What was yours sauced with?  I agree that the banchan looks very skimpy.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We love Korean fried chicken.  We go to a restaurant here on occasion that serves it with either a sweet soy sauce or a sweet and spicy sauce.  We usually get one of each.  What was yours sauced with?  I agree that the banchan looks very skimpy.

It was sweet and spicy, but the spicy was barely there. I’m not complaining. I quite liked it but yes, the banchan was very disappointing. Kerry noted that inside the restaurant each table was being served 3 bowls! 

• Sad 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It was sweet and spicy, but the spicy was barely there. I’m not complaining. I quite liked it but yes, the banchan was very disappointing. Kerry noted that inside the restaurant each table was being served 3 bowls! 

I will never forget the first time we went to a Korean barbeque, half a century ago.    We were brought a slew, 8 or 10 tiny bowls of "little things".   Thinking them appetizers, we scarfed them up, praising them to our server, who just nodded and smiled vaguely.   Later we realized what we had done.    But they were delicious none the less.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

That all looks very good to me… we have no Korean eateries in these parts that I know of, more’s the pity.

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:43 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I will never forget the first time we went to a Korean barbeque, half a century ago.    We were brought a slew, 8 or 10 tiny bowls of "little things".   Thinking them appetizers, we scarfed them up, praising them to our server, who just nodded and smiled vaguely.   Later we realized what we had done.    But they were delicious none the less.

This is why I love when restaurants ask the question: "Have you ever been here before?".  Then, if I haven't, they can explain things like that.  

• Like 3