Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gfron1

Starting a high profile new restaurant (after closing another)

Recommended Posts

I wonder if you can make foraged donuts out of cattail flour and maple or sorghum syrup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My brain has such a hard time with the word "forged".  My late father-in-law owned an old timey blacksmith shop and the word meant something so different.

Plow shares and horse shoes, not doughnuts and salad greens.   Gotta get my brain to move forward here.   He was such a smart guy.  When times changed and

business fell off he went to work for John Deere in their experimental department and developed all kinds of amazing things for them.

And I should add, all of this was with just an 8th grade education!  


Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

My brain has such a hard time with the word "forged".  My late father-in-law owned an old timey blacksmith shop and the word meant something so different.

Plow shares and horse shoes, not doughnuts and salad greens.

 

I think foraged (the food finding word) and forged (the blacksmithing word) are distinct and have different origins. 

 

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

Gotta get my brain to move forward here.

Edited to add that you probably don't need to get your brain to do anything, just straighten your glasses 🙃!

 


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

I think foraged (the food finding word) and forged (the blacksmithing word) are distinct and have different origins. 

 

Edited to add that you probably don't need to get your brain to do anything, just straighten your glasses 🙃!

 

 

 

@Smithy could perhaps offer an authoritative opinion.

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much detail work right now! I never even got to my to-do list today dealing with all of the urgent crisis and meetings. It's soooo close! (not that you would know it by the look of our kitchen)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how do you make pokeweed nontoxic and edible?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, gfweb said:

how do you make pokeweed nontoxic and edible?

 

You have to pick the very young leaves. They might as well still be toxic, far as I'm concerned. Stuff's nasty.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gfweb said:

how do you make pokeweed nontoxic and edible?

 

I have eaten this weed in Louisiana because my elder relatives did. Now that I have more information about it, I do not eat it anymore. Although, what @kaybsays is absolutely correct, you must use the young leaves. I do not agree that it's nasty. The young leaves taste very much like spinach and we used to cook them with eggs and a little onion and quite enjoyed it. Having educated myself further, I feel lucky to have survived eating these weeds even if they tasted good at the time and we had very little money and the eggs were coming from Grandpa's chickens and the onions from his garden.

 

It grows in my backyard, but it is off my table. I'm still here, but it seems a wonder, knowing all that I know now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As we enter our final week of construction we're wrapping up some fun furniture projects.

20244.thumb.jpeg.e90904f7eb224635885b823b0c9797f7.jpeg

We're lathing some elevated plates for our after dinner lounge experience.

20245.thumb.jpeg.acac18c2f6242394b05191d5abc0b218.jpeg

20412.thumb.jpeg.af0e1c1fe4a0d587d4dd63633787a2f2.jpeg

20243.thumb.jpeg.5c6e48f258a085d28f433164b683912e.jpeg

20411.thumb.jpeg.be2def9a68a972585fbd296e7d88f033.jpeg

I've joked that's it's a golf tee for giants, but it feels sturdy enough that some drunk fool won't break it, yet refined enough to look... Refined.


Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 11
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As a wood lover those  are so cool!  Well I like stone too - any granite/marble similar stuff on your roll out agenda? Glass and slate plating I am not particularly fond of but they can be integrated in presentation.  The wood items evoke for me as an older person those salad bowls of the 70's ;) 


Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gfron1 said:

As we enter our final week of construction we're wrapping up some fun furniture projects.

20244.thumb.jpeg.e90904f7eb224635885b823b0c9797f7.jpeg

We're lathing some elevated plates for our after dinner lounge experience.

20245.thumb.jpeg.acac18c2f6242394b05191d5abc0b218.jpeg

20412.thumb.jpeg.af0e1c1fe4a0d587d4dd63633787a2f2.jpeg

20243.thumb.jpeg.5c6e48f258a085d28f433164b683912e.jpeg

20411.thumb.jpeg.be2def9a68a972585fbd296e7d88f033.jpeg

I've joked that's it's a golf tee for giants, but it feels sturdy enough that some drunk fool won't break it, yet refined enough to look... Refined.

 

 

They are pretty fore sure. But. You know what? That design is extremely top heavy. You mentioned drunks yourself, and I just have to say that I think, even it they didn't manage to break it, they might topple it quite a bit. It would take a slightest tap. If you persist in this design, perhaps you might consider widening out the foot of the wine glass shaped configuration into something that actually resembles the tried and true design of the age old wine glass? 🙂

 

Just a thought for your most respected consideration. Who, after all, wants to clean spilled food continually when it might better be avoided?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

 

They are pretty fore sure. But. You know what? That design is extremely top heavy. You mentioned drunks yourself, and I just have to say that I think, even it they didn't manage to break it, they might topple it quite a bit. It would take a slightest tap. If you persist in this design, perhaps you might consider widening out the foot of the wine glass shaped configuration into something that actually resembles the tried and true design of the age old wine glass? 🙂

 

Just a thought for your most respected consideration. Who, after all, wants to clean spilled food continually when it might better be avoided?

Be patient until you see how it's going to be used. 😁

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

Be patient until you see how it's going to be used. 😁

My guess, bar stool. Kinda hoping I'm wrong since I prefer chairs with backs.

 

Looking forward to seeing and dining at Bulrush in May!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn them upside down and they remind me of a game piece from Clue or a stylized Chess pawn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, curls said:

My guess, bar stool. Kinda hoping I'm wrong since I prefer chairs with backs.

 

Except that Rob called them "elevated plates" - so unless he's going all Sweeney Todd on us I don't think that's it!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how they'll be used but they look like beautiful sculptural pieces!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

 

Except that Rob called them "elevated plates" - so unless he's going all Sweeney Todd on us I don't think that's it!

Ha! Missed that text, too busy looking at all the pretty pictures! :biggrin:  Thanks for bringing that to my attention Chris,  "elevated plates for our after dinner lounge experience."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final building inspection is tomorrow. All of the subs got inspected yesterday. Health Dept and Liquor license will be early next week...so I made a batch of chocolates. I think I was yearning for simpler times so I used one of my vintage molds and made a foraged nocino bonbon.

walnuts.thumb.jpg.5782e2bcb46d3cb9f55c4021a6809700.jpg

Also our spent barrels arrived so we can start aging...most likely our persimmon vinegar and our pawpaw vinegar.

Barrel.thumb.jpg.c2b98a74c109bdb973062757a9858b49.jpg

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would so like to be there for the grand opening! It's going to be special. Those bonbons are wonderful in themselves.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so in the weeds...hopefully I'll post an update this weekend. Cleaning crew is here right now. Passed building inspection yesterday along with electric and plumbing. Up next - health inspection. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a veteran of many many inspections my heart is with you. Hospitals were the worst but similar to restaurants. Easier when I was young and cute ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is your eGullet exclusive! I stopped posting pics in social media Couple of weeks ago (except for non-revealing images), but eG and I go way back 😁.

 

The dining room

IMG_20190329_162141.thumb.jpg.04dbec7565e12165bd060fad383b89a6.jpg

The wall separating the dining room. The concept was to recreate looking through the Ozark woods at sunrise 

IMG_20190329_162204.thumb.jpg.f97d9f6fe9a36ed7fd67e275775f255d.jpg

One of our lounge loveseats.

IMG_20190329_162226.thumb.jpg.9b96ea2faa81be84528fde84a6484943.jpg

The back bar where most of the liquor is stored.

IMG_20190329_162257.thumb.jpg.2afd1d4111f65b0f6a8c7255cce44f92.jpg

View of the bar.

IMG_20190329_162324.thumb.jpg.74f228578db38998d9a5fc63ea9ce835.jpg

View from the prep kitchen to the front door showing some of the fun play with light and shadows that we created.

IMG_20190329_162413.thumb.jpg.2705ef0aac9c11c41c7a398da72bef75.jpg

 

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gfron1

 

stunning !

 

congratulations !

 

I see a lot of very hard work there , and more to come !

 

MC and I wish you every success !

 

PS  what are yoyu doing w the walnut turnings ?

 

lamp fixtures ?     if its a bar stool I hope your drinks are very very proxy and popular !

 

suprise.gif.414c2f55365da66b63231003b2da2085.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

 

PS  what are yoyu doing w the walnut turnings ?

 

lamp fixtures ?     if its a bar stool I hope your drinks are very very proxy and popular 

 

I'll be able to show very soon. It's one of the most unique details we've created.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×