• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, Alex said:

Today only at Woot -- Blendtec Classic 575 blender (black unit only), new, full warranty, for $189.99 + $6 shipping (free for Amazon Prime) + tax.

Same thing today.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Anova's website for the first time in what seems like forever.  I had the intention to take a look at the new oven since I've been waiting like 3-4 years for it.  When I got there, a popup appeared for the precision cooker pro.  It's currently half off - reg $399 on sale for $199.  I may pull the trigger on the immersion circulator and come back to the oven another day.  

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Wine suitcases 125 dollars for any size.  For when we start to travel again 😊

https://vingardevalise.com

discount codes 

Grande125 for Grande 12-bottle Wine Suitcase purchases.
Petite125 for Petite 8-bottle Wine Suitcase purchases.
Piccolo125 for Piccolo 5-bottle Wine Suitcase purchases.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Was in my local Walmart for the first time in a while, and found Medjool dates on an end cap marked down to $2/lb. So I bought two, and then today went back and got five more. That should do us for the holidays, I think.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yesterday I threw out a bag of Medjool dates.  Food is no bargain if it's not something you are going to eat.

Well, we've already gotten through the first pound so...not too concerned about that.

In a worst-case scenario, if I felt the urge to use them up in something, I'd incorporate them into something baked or some homemade "power bars" for my mom. We go through several pounds of dates in the run of a year, though, so this isn't a stretch at all. Heck, I'm still debating whether to go back for more.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

Was in my local Walmart for the first time in a while, and found Medjool dates on an end cap marked down to $2/lb. So I bought two, and then today went back and got five more. That should do us for the holidays, I think.

I wish I could find some out here in East Texas for a reasonable price.  I remember buying them when I lived in Tucson.  They were really good when I was hiking and camping a lot but, they also were good for all sorts of baked goods and desert themed items.  Mmm ...

We usually reserve the Medjool and Deglet Noor dates for eating out of hand, and use the inexpensive supermarket kind for baking. My mother was a fan of date squares (minor national difference in nomenclature...what Americans call bar cookies, Canadians call "squares") so the process of chopping up one of those compressed blocks of dates is a minor exercise in nostalgia for me.

• Like 3