Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)


Kerry Beal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since the Zingerman's sale is on through the end of the month, I'm updating this to add that I didn't care for their Arkansan long pepper bacon. It is very light on smoke and the pepper was basically undetectable. It was a very "porky" bacon, which isn't really what I go for. The Neuske's is as delightful as ever though: quite thick with nice campfire smoke. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2021 at 6:04 PM, btbyrd said:

Zingerman's is having their annual spring sale, which focuses mainly on cured pork and cheese. I always take the opportunity to pick up a good amount of Neuske's applewood smoked bacon. I'm also trying out some Arkansas long pepper bacon this year.

 Was it Petit Jean bacon? Or maybe Coursey's? The Arkansas bacon, I mean.

 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm sure the Zingerman's stuff is lovely, but man - their shipping rates are up there.

 

The flat rate shipping @ $10.99 for any size order is quite reasonable but yes, if you're ordering stuff that needs 2-day or overnight, it gets $$$.  As seems to be the case for almost everyone except rainforest giants.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

The flat rate shipping @ $10.99 for any size order is quite reasonable but yes, if you're ordering stuff that needs 2-day or overnight, it gets $$$.  As seems to be the case for almost everyone except rainforest giants.

 

Some of the places I've used for higher-end stuff do free shipping at a certain spend level. Even overnight. Katz's, Russ & Daughters, Regalis, Great-Alaska, Browne Trading, for starters.

  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Free shipping of course isn't free. The expense is just hidden in the item price.

 

Now you're just trying to confuse me. Because the item price isn't any cheaper if I pay for shipping, is it? I just have to spend a certain amount.

  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@gfweb 

 

is economically correct.

 

shipping charges are added to totals less than

 

the free shipping amount

 

to induce you to buy the minimum for free shipping.

 

adding to the bottom line.

 

we've all done that.

 

and we all know this.

 

 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@weinoo 

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

 

Now you're just trying to confuse me. Because the item price isn't any cheaper if I pay for shipping, is it? I just have to spend a certain amount.

 

I mean, it can be if you order from someplace who doesn't have free shipping.

 

Case in point: to get free shipping from Katz's, you have to order three pounds of their lean pastrami @ $37/lb. So three pounds shipped is $111.

Zingermans will charge you $20 to ship it, but their lean pastrami is "only" $25/lb. So three pounds shipped is $95.

Not sure how much you'd pay if you walked into Katz's and ordered a pound of pastrami to go but I bet it'd be less than $37.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, btbyrd said:

It's Petit Jean bacon. I've had their regular pepper bacon before, though it was years ago, and recall it being decidedly peppery.

 

What I recalled as well. Didn't realize they made a "long pepper" bacon.

 

50 minutes ago, weinoo said:

So you guys mean these companies are trying to make money!!

 

I am shocked, I tell you!! (OK, what's the movie reference?)

 

If she can take it, I can take it. Play it, Sam!

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

Case in point: to get free shipping from Katz's, you have to order three pounds of their lean pastrami @ $37/lb. So three pounds shipped is $111.

Zingermans will charge you $20 to ship it, but their lean pastrami is "only" $25/lb. So three pounds shipped is $95.

Not sure how much you'd pay if you walked into Katz's and ordered a pound of pastrami to go but I bet it'd be less than $37.

 

Well, that's only if you believe that Zingerman's pastrami is anywhere near as good as Katz's. I mean, you have to compare equivalents, not just some product having the same name.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

 

Well, that's only if you believe that Zingerman's pastrami is anywhere near as good as Katz's. I mean, you have to compare equivalents, not just some product having the same name.

 

Honestly, having had both pastramis at the source, I actually like Zingerman's better. But I am an Ann Arbor native, so I might be slightly biased 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@weinoo 

 

fine 

 

this the, his that

 

but ......

 

NYC ?

 

one would have love it

\

worthy might have movdon

 

Pastrami ?

 

nothing beats 

 

Montreal Hot Smoked Meat.

 

makes all th lesser Deli's 

 

Just what they are

 

not nearly as tasty 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

10% off on tapmaster sink foot actuators on conservastore.com

code: EARTHDAY21

expires 4/22/21 midnight (idk which timezone)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Help! @btbyrd, @gfweb and @weinoo.  I bought two Zingerman's Vecchia Dispensa Balsamic Vinegars, aged 16 years and 8 years. We opened the 16 year old tonight. It's might tasty! However, the original cork had to be removed with pliers. As you can see, the accompanying cork pour spout is a wonky thing with feathers and a very poor fit. Moreover, the pour spout has no way to close it.

 

What should I do?

 

IMG_2996_cropped.thumb.jpg.948f0e367ef3ac50fbd4d2f20017d4f0.jpg IMG_2994_cropped.thumb.jpg.632a1edeaea769e828ef9c8b2873377a.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Help! @btbyrd, @gfweb and @weinoo.  I bought two Zingerman's Vecchia Dispensa Balsamic Vinegars, aged 16 years and 8 years. We opened the 16 year old tonight. It's might tasty! However, the original cork had to be removed with pliers. As you can see, the accompanying cork pour spout is a wonky thing with feathers and a very poor fit. Moreover, the pour spout has no way to close it.

 

What should I do?

 

 

I have some of that vinegar.  I just use the original cork to close the bottle.  I only use the spout if I'm serving it at the table and then put the original cork back in for storage.  I suppose you could get a tiny cork to stop up the pour spout.  That's where I miss my lab days 🙃.

 

Also, on mine, the pour spout was attached to the bottle by a black ribbon.  I have never gotten one with feathers.  I just pull the ribbon out and discard it. If there were feathers, I suppose I'd do the same. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...