• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

More coconut rice with mangoes and mint.
I used sushi rice, and Kent mangoes from my tree.

The rice is flavored with toasted coconut shavings, a little chili, cinnamon, and enough salt to give it an almost savory edge, then cooked in coconut milk. 

20160916_202412.jpg

This time Iv'e decided to boost the coconut even more, and added a coconut flavor extract (which does a good job enhancing the floral notes of the coconut) and finished the dish with very lightly sweetened coconut flakes. The flakes give a nice crunchy texture, but I think the dish looks better without them:

20160916_202332.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Chicken, spinach and cheese quesadilla.   Unfortunately the container of sour cream was hiding some leftovers (why do I do that?) and when I opened the jar of salsa in the fridge it was incubating something quite disgusting.  Damn. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

@HungryChris  envious!

@scubadoo97 I am uncomfortable with envious, but hope you enjoy it too. We took so much time to plan this trip and make it happen that sharing is a kind of celebration. I would like to think that perhaps it will give an inspiration to someone to do something they would not have done otherwise. The first time we ever landed in Rome, many years ago, I saw tears in Deb's eyes and I knew she loved it as much, if not more than I did and how priceless a commodity that can be. Deb is an absolute wiz at Trip Advisor and Slow Travel and she finds great opportunities and bargains. I happen to love to cook, so it all works out. Here are some pics from our bedroom window  this morning at the Terre di Melazzano, the agriturismo where we are  staying (and have, off and on, for the past ten years). This year the harvest starts on the 19th, just after we leave for Florence.

HC

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 10

Islandic langoustines because I'm still in Rejkjavik and had planned to eat them.

Waiter pours the soup at the table.

5iZMWBQ.jpg

The soup is rich and delicious.

7r3cGS9.jpg

Another favourite fish of mine.

V3krdnT.jpg

5 langoustines with garlic and butter.

IYZVHCa.jpg

The aftermath.

oS3byil.jpg

Directly after eating the above I walked to this intersection where this hot dog kiosk got its "fame". I've been asking Icelanders about it but they scoff at it.

lD009N2.jpg

Have read about it during my trip research, of course. Had to try it for myself. It looked pathetic...

YwUeMVz.jpg

It tasted like NOTHING. Even cardboard has a taste (me thinks, haven't tried that one yet)! I don't get it. Maybe it's just me? I am critical and can think for myself and I think this is rubbish. Together with Icelanders I scoff at it!

24BrIHY.jpg

• Like 13

Stick with the seafood @BonVivant, those langoustines look fantastic. 

Hot dogs can be iffy, we call them "mystery bags".

I was given this free range, laid at the home of a happy chook egg.

So, I made an omelette with a chopped spring onion, salt and pepper. Served with a few bits of olive bread.

I have 17 more of these eggs, suggestions welcome.

image.jpeg

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 11

@sartoric, It's not very challenging to use up top quality eggs like you were lucky enough to get, but if it were me, I'd like some over easy with runny yolks with good bread. That olive bread seems a very good candidate.

Hollandaise with asparagus, eggs benedict or a nice fish would be good. Bernaise with a lovely steak. I would take advantage of the cleaner environment and serve them not cooked hard. Homemade mayo comes to mind as well. Caesar salad dressing?

Oh my, you are a lucky ducky! :)

Mystery bags. xD I'm not a fan either, but since my husband is, I will eat them in the form of Hebrew National pricey kosher dogs a few times a year. I figure if they get the kosher seal they can't contain lips and assholes, like I read somewhere and cannot purge from my tiny brain. ConAgra Corp. took the brand over in 1993. They make paints and are my enemy. Paint and chemical manufacturers should stay the hell out of the food business, IMO.

Quote from the wiki link:

"The Jewish Daily Forward reported that most Orthodox authorities did not follow this endorsement, and most Orthodox Jews continue not to rely on its kashrut.[6]

In June 2012, ConAgra Foods Inc. was sued by 11 people in Minnesota for falsely advertising their product as kosher. Their complaint rests on the issue of ConAgra unlawfully tricking people into thinking they are buying kosher meat and being able to charge a premium fee for this alleged fallacy.[7] "

So grossly overpriced mystery bags. You can't win with hot dogs, it seems, even if you throw too much money at it. I'm sure some small manufacturers somewhere make a respectable version, but for us masses, it seems it is best to avoid.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

8 hours ago, sartoric said:

Stick with the seafood @BonVivant, those langoustines look fantastic. 

Hot dogs can be iffy, we call them "mystery bags".

I was given this free range, laid at the home of a happy chook egg.

So, I made an omelette with a chopped spring onion, salt and pepper. Served with a few bits of olive bread.

I have 17 more of these eggs, suggestions welcome.

image.jpeg

My SIL hs a hobby farm and has a dozen or so heritage chickens that roam around pecking at bugs and whatever else they eat.  Every now and again I get gifted with some of their eggs and they are incredible with deep, orange yolks.  We eat them one way only - poached.  For us, they are special and deserved to be served as plainly as possible to fully appreciate how much better they are than the eggs we usually eat.

• Like 6

image.jpeg

Salad of tomato and hearts of palm with an Asian inspired dressing and cheese, bacon and pimenton toasties. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Braised duck legs with flagiole beans.  @Anna N I am sorry that you don't like beans.  If you come to visit, I will serve your duck leg with roaster potatoes!

image.jpg

And this is what eagle had for lunch.  We are at our beach house this weekend and eagles are nicely posing for the photos 

image.jpg

• Like 14

I tried 3 new things to day: fermented shark, smoked puffin breast and guillemot breasts. For lunch I just had dried haddock and dried wolffish, plus 2 beers. Got it at the weekend market here in Reykjavik.

uCJstOk.jpg

juyb31N.jpg

It's not that bad. You get a hit of ammonia, yes, but that's why it's always eaten with copious amounts of spirit to overpower the ammonia.

kLYYib5.jpg

The portion sold at supermarket is much bigger than at the flea market I went to today

taXbzJw.jpg

Gratuitous photos of Reykjavik today

DRIlEKx.jpg

And from yesterday's day trip to see the waterfalls, geysers and location of tectonic plates.

hOr19kl.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 12

On 9/16/2016 at 3:24 PM, Anna N said:

Chicken, spinach and cheese quesadilla.   Unfortunately the container of sour cream was hiding some leftovers (why do I do that?) and when I opened the jar of salsa in the fridge it was incubating something quite disgusting.  Damn. 

I hate it when that happens. Which it does, at my house, with all too much frequency.

And just think...if something as acidic as salsa can incubate something disgusting (been there, done that too!), that's some powerful stuff.

On 9/16/2016 at 4:22 PM, HungryChris said:

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

Just heartbreakingly lovely. Enjoy every second!

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I didn't take photos -- it was a Saturday work lunch because both my client and I are headed out of town on Monday and this was work that needed doing. So we did it over lunch at The Farmer, a farm-to-table establishment that's making a bit of a name for itself in Memphis.

We split a chicken tostada salad; sliced smoked chicken breast atop a crispy tortilla, topped with a field pea relish, which was so many orders of magnitude better than it sounds that I can't begin to describe it, tomatoes, spinach and arugula, with a chipotle cream dressing. Pretty marvelous. Would have been even better with the addition of some roasted corn kernels.

I opted for the salmon patties lunch. (Admittedly, salmon stretches the definition of farm-to-table in mid-America...) I have fond memories of salmon patties, made from canned salmon, when I was growing up; they were a cheap, easy entree and we had them a couple of times a month. These were NOT my mama's salmon patties. Fresh (or fresh-frozen) salmon, poached and flaked, put together with a minimum of binder (doggoned if I could discern any binder at all, but SOMETHING had to hold it together), with Creole remoulade, and a side of absolutely luscious mac and cheese. The other side was roasted eggplant, for which I'd opted in place of the standard braised greens, and it left something to be desired. I'm not certain what the seasoning was, but it wasn't what I wanted.

I tried to consider if there was room enough for an apple tart for dessert. There was not.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

28 minutes ago, sartoric said:

In the interest of using fresh eggs, I made some bacon & cheese muffins. 

I am no baker, and my oven is dodgy.

There are two missing from this tray, shortly thereafter two more went missing.

You say you're no baker, but apparently the muffins were good enough to start disappearing pretty rapidly. :D They look delicious.

What are the green bits?

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

You say you're no baker, but apparently the muffins were good enough to start disappearing pretty rapidly. :D They look delicious.

What are the green bits?

Chopped parsley, there was also cayenne pepper in there !

• Like 2

18 hours ago, chefmd said:

@Anna N

What eagle had for lunch.  We are at our beach house this weekend and eagles are nicely posing for the photos 

image.jpg

OHHHHHHHH.... name that fish!  (a game we play on hawkwatches)

Yesterday I was at Scott's Mountain Hawkwatch and took plenty of water, a big container of watermelon, a tomato and ricotta salata salad, some nice crusty bread with some butter.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

Still getting my money's worth out of a pound of ground lamb that I turned into mince. Made polenta in the instant pot using the bowl in bowl method, stirred in some cheddar cheese,  put some aside to stiffen so I can grill it later and served some with the lamb mince for my lunch. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Cook's treat after breaking down 2 organic chickens from Costco. 

Shallots sauted in butter, then livers added and browned.  Marsala wine added and flamed off then a touch of cream was added to finish the sauce.   

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97
Spelling (log)
  • Like 18