• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

Cold noodles, sweet peppers, chili peppers, scallions, cucumber strips, basil leaves, in peanut sauce - peanut butter (natural), soy sauce, coconut milk, garlic, mint, rice vinegar.

Recipe by Kenji Lopez-Alt.

20160826_205118.jpg20160826_205154.jpg

I think some cilantro would have made a good addition.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10

~ Shai N.

@shain

I was about to turn some bell peppers into stuffed peppers but you have given me a much better idea. Trust me, though, cilantro would make it INEDIBLE. xD

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My first try of the chicharron at  the big local Mexican market. Still warm, crackly crisp skin and bits of tender meat. This piece (Id already eaten a quarter of it) was 84 cents!!! 

chicharron.JPG

• Like 12

Once upon a time I sat next to a German at the bar, in a German pub in Hong Kong, who let me have a bite of his bread which had a thick layer of Schmalz on it. I was sold.

If you are afraid of fat you won't enjoy Schmalz (...but it's so gooooood!). I made it with smoked pork belly.

IKkkksW.jpg

Mouse is waiting for his Speck.

21Z2lHI.jpg

Eggs go well with dried roe.

UcgdRaU.jpg

vpiIzeN.jpg

whqsA00.jpg

Contrasting ingredients next to each other, on both plates: fat and fatless.

HhUoSFK.jpg

A very popular meal in German speaking countries. The idea is to use up leftover ingredients.

fN7I7FY.jpg

QvYTKP3.jpg

• Like 12

Made a typo... "the mouse" is actually a she. But it doesn't matter at all. The mind does it for me.

If you have ever watched any of the mouse sketches or cartoon you' notice you couldn't stop smiling because the creature is so adorable and clever.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm not a big fan of sweets or dessert, but I'd happily put that in my mouth!

I am with you on desserts, will have cheese coarse over cheesecake any day, but @sartoric brownie and cream is calling  my name.  Would love to have the recipe for that brownie.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chefmd said:

I am with you on desserts, will have cheese coarse over cheesecake any day, but @sartoric brownie and cream is calling  my name.  Would love to have the recipe for that brownie.

Sure, in a buttered mug mix 1/4 cup pl flour, pinch of cinnamon, 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/4 cup milk & 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles, plus 40 g softened butter. Stir well, cover with plastic wrap, MW on high 90 seconds, stand 60 seconds, serve with ice cream. All measurements Aussie (250 ml cup, 20 g tbs).

I rarely make make or eat desserts too, in fact this only got partly eaten on the night. I scraped the remaining brownie onto a plate and popped it in the fridge for lunch the next day (with cream lake added).

• Like 2

For lunch today:

IMG_8858.JPG

Crab Louis, with shrimp and blue cheese dressing.

IMG_8861.JPG

Fried calamari with cocktail sauce and spicy aioli.

These were expertly fried and greaseless.  Perfection.

IMG_8866.JPG

Steamed mussels with garlic and white wine, served with garlic bread.

IMG_8873.JPG

Lobster roll, with a side of summer squash and coleslaw.

Woodhouse Fish Company

2073 Market Street (14th Street)

The Castro 

San Francisco

• Like 12

cheese toast.jpg

A couple of days ago I gave the oven the shock of its life and cleaned it back to nearly new. Then baked some bread.

Lunch today cheese on toast - toasted cheese. whatever. New Zealand cheddar.

With my spicy mango relish. Well, it's not mine, but I forget where I found the recipe.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto