• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

18 hours ago, kayb said:

I wonder if one could make mango puree and freeze it? I see no reason why not.

I freeze a couple boxes of mango every summer, but I don't puree it. Mango has a high sugar and fiber content, making it stay quite soft even when frozen in chunks. The frozen mango is actually very tasty as is, I like to shave it thinly with a peeler or knife as a snack. It's also great for making yogurt based lassi or coconut milk based smoothies.

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

eaten in the car on the way to a meeting, take out from a local "healthy fast food" place...banana wrap. Whole wheat wrap with a banana, peanut butter, granola, and a little agave drizzled inside. It was a fun lunch and no crumbs!

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Put together the base ingredients for Hot'n'Sour soup last night. Today, added shrimp, chicken, tofu, and slivered leftover siu yook.
Tangy with just the right amount of heat. Hubby always adds a dollop of rice in his bowl.
Hot 'n'Sour Soup0003.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

For launch I bought a few "fatayer" flatbreads from a nearby Muslim town. They are made with a pita dough, rolled thin and drizzled with olive oil, then spread with fresh zaatar leaves (the herb used in dry zaatar mix, closely related to oregano) and seasonal greens (usually spinach, my favorite, chard, or a mix of both). It is then folded and re-rolled, so it is essentially laminated. Baked on a saj, over strong flame, so that it is soft and chewy, charred at spots and has a wonderful aroma of herbs, olive oil and flames.

It is eaten while warm, and I like mine served with labanneh cheese, a sprinkle of salt and some zaatar spice. Also cherry tomatoes, and onions with sumac.

20160902_141317.jpg20160902_141410.jpg20160902_141336.jpg20160902_143847.jpg20160902_140959.jpg

• Like 15

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Shrimp omelette with tomato jam.    Looks as if someone took a bite out of it but honest I didn't,

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Currently in Greve in Chianti for the Chianti wine festival, which ends today. Panzano, the next town up SR222 has one next weekend. We stopped for lunch outside the square. Tagliatelle al tartufo nero was really good. Then we went into the festival to try (and buy) wine and olive oil.

HC

P9100031.JPG

P9100032.JPG

• Like 8

lunch.jpg

Sorry. I was so hungry that by the time I had the strength to lift the camera, this was all that was left.

Cheddar cheese on seaweed crackers with, as you can't see, olives, pickled onions, tomato and scallion on the side. The right side. Wouldn't want them on the wrong side, would I?

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

No elaborate lunches this time, just cheese and bread (last 2 pics). I'm going to turn off the electricity in the house for a while.

Do not underestimate the amount of cheese and beer I consume weekly! This lasts me 2 1/2 days.

j5iOYCw.jpg

This hard cheese has strong beer in it.

Qtmell7.jpg

Creamy, runny and nutty

60JKiG0.jpg

U8oln0c.jpg

Semi hard

Hwc4aDX.jpg

ukdAOXk.jpg

Bread of the month from a bakery inside a windmill near my house.

nZRjQmO.jpg

Bread pron!

kAzQ8dp.jpg

No weekend cooking projects and there's a tap-takeover beer event at my regular pub so that's where I'm going to now. Bringing the La Trappe cheese and an Italian buffalo milk's cheese to share with the pub staff. It appears my life revolves round beer and cheese!

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 17

A late lunch , while wondering about the NFL :

today's toasty.jpg

some scraps of brie top Left , generic on sale market-basket ham with MB's horseradish processed cheese

just to use everything up.    the horse radish cheese was sharp  and nice  when melted.  Ham OK

the  total was very good.

CSB of course until brown under the Steam_Broiler.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Grilled Romaine from Le Pigeon Cookbook.  The Lemon Vinny was awesome.  A side of home grown shell beans with last of the cherry tomatoes and infused basil oil.

DSC01654.jpg

Looks good.  Are those dinner trays?

they are bamboo dinner trays from Bed, Bath and Beyond.  We were watching the football in the TV room.  The honey lemon vinny as Le Pigeon calls it is an interesting sauce.  

You put 4 lemons, halved; 4 sprigs of thyme; 3 whole garlic cloves; 2 sliced shallots, 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper; 1 teaspoon salt; and 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes in a dutch oven and roast at 375F for about 45 min uncovered until the lemons are browned.  Remove from oven and press through a chinois.  Put the liquid and 1/4c honey in a blender and whiz adding 1/2 c olive oil to emulsify.  Delicious.  Makes a lot so next time I will half the recipe.

• Like 2

Bruschetta (I think mine are much better), Tagliolini con porcini al tartufo crema and Ravioli ricotta e spinaci burro e salvia (these were both quite good). We have eaten at this same restaurant in Volterra in the past. Today, the city was so busy, we had to park in P3 down behind (in a creative line of cars that I am sure was not planned by the original lot designers) and walk up what seemed like a half mile of steps. It was a beautiful day, though. Alabaster is not my thing, but I do like looking at all the things made out of it. Deb scored 2 ice trays for our apartment freezer in one of the many shops (who would have thunk?) and a picnocchio puppet for her grandson.

HC

P9120074.JPG

P9120075.JPGP9120077.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

If you know me, you can look at any menu that has fresh truffles, and know what I am going to order. Truffles are one of the few exotic things,

that I have had described to me countless times before I ever tried them and  I was never sure I would like them. Trust me, once they are carried

out, steaming hot, placed in front of you, or anywhere near you, the aroma will TELL YOU that you are going to love them before you even try

them and that you are changed for life in that respect.  La Castellana came through in spades today!

.http://www.ristorante-lacastellana.it/en/

My pictures do not do it justice and so blown away was I, about the bruschetta and then the truffle and porcini stuffed ravioli in cream sauce

with a zillion shaved truffles, that I put down my camera and never took pics of Debs great spinach, ricotta and lemon tortelli in gorgonzola

sauce, which has, thankfully, so far, escaped her attention. 

This bruschetta was a thing of art and beauty with the best of Tuscan bread, olive oil, whole basil leaves that had succumbed to the mixture with a dedication to duty.

Any would be restaurateur should go there and have that bruschetta, because it holds the key to success. Give me 2 of those with a glass of good

wine and I swear, I will be back repeatedly, if I have to walk!

My truffle dish was the best I have ever had, period. Looking around, we were not alone. Everyone seemed to love what they got. How often do you see that?

HC

P9130092.JPGP9130093.JPG

• Like 15

@HungryChris, I followed your link, thinking "oh good, this is a place we MUST visit next time we're in Louisiana, even if it's hundreds of miles out of the way!" I had forgotten that you are in Italy at present.  I'll just have to suffer the pangs of envy. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, Smithy said:

@HungryChris, I followed your link, thinking "oh good, this is a place we MUST visit next time we're in Louisiana, even if it's hundreds of miles out of the way!" I had forgotten that you are in Italy at present.  I'll just have to suffer the pangs of envy. 

We have been to so few places in NOLA, but, had such great success, I'm sure those feelings will not last long.

HC

Tonight we are having dinner at Solociccia, the restaurant  run by Dario Cicchini and family. For those unfamiliar, Dario is known as the Butcher of Panzano. We have been to his butcher shop a few times and he has always been gracious. We are looking forward to it. So, after a morning by the pool, we decided to have lunch on the patio and have spaghetti with some of the sauce Deb made a few nights ago.

HC

IMG_0058.JPG

• Like 14