• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

Living a bachelor life, these are three dinners cooked by me:

Having rubbed a chicken breast with curry powder, soy sauce and some oil, I put it on the griddle first and then under the grill.

My Thermapen was tops and I had naturally cooked it to 74C (by chance really.) I will make two salads out of that.

The circular things are Cod Roe Fritters (from tinned cod’s roe  Princes as it happens.)

The other dish is veal liver, thank to Lidl, defrost and heat through, it is very good  value and delicious.

Two plates with Jersey Royal Potatoes , first of the season and lush.

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

• Like 16

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

8 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Did you add some beef or pork fat to your venison? I do love venison when I can get it, but it's extremely lean, and needs some help from another fat for sausage, burgers, or meatloaf. Why do you think it was dry this time, Shelby?

Oh, and your garden asparagus, mashed potatoes and brown gravy look killer.

Oh yes, when we grind our venison we add fat.  I think we used beef fat from a brisket last time but I'm not sure. 

I dunno why it was dry....I'm hit and miss when it comes to meatloaf.  When I make a good one I always think I'll remember how I did it....and then I don't lol.

• Like 2

Pasta with shrimp, garlic and good olive oil - and a bit of parmesan. I know that cheese on pasta with seafood is just not done - but I like it. With bread I made yesterday (CI's "almost no knead bread" - our staple - I bake it twice a week.) And salad, of course.

DSC01021.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

A beautiful day here!!! What is that bright orb in the sky though?!?

Since it is warmish here today I stopped while out and picked up some shrimp, baby bok choy, parsley and green onions.  I have Hokkien stir fry noodles, various sauces - black bean, Hoisin - rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and garlic.  I'm going to blanch the bok choy then stir fry it with the shrimp, white of the onions  and garlic, put it over the cooked noodles then sauce it and finish with the green part of the green onions and some parsley.  Leftovers for John's lunch tomorrow.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

16 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Pasta with shrimp, garlic and good olive oil - and a bit of parmesan. I know that cheese on pasta with seafood is just not done - but I like it. With bread I made yesterday (CI's "almost no knead bread" - our staple - I bake it twice a week.) And salad, of course.

DSC01021.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

I agree with you, @ElainaA, seafood is normally not served with cheese in Italian dishes, but I do prefer it in some. Your dish looks delightful, and reminds me of a dish my best ever roommate made for my birthday in circa 1984. I continue to make it 32 years later.

It's a simple one where you boil spaghetti, saute sliced mushrooms with crushed garlic in lots of butter, remove keep warm, and then saute peeled and cleaned good shrimp in more garlic and a gracious plenty of butter in the same pan. You combine both sauteed components with the hot, cooked spaghetti, toss, and hit it with parmesan cheese and a little finely chopped flat leaf parsley if you wish. This is a dish that defies the Italian rule of no cheese with seafood. It is divine, and in my opinion transcends the traditional wisdom on this matter.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Stuffed morels w/ tagliarelle.

DSCN9219b_600.jpg

Morels [Annabelle's Garden] were stuffed w/ a mixture of ricotta cheese [Galbani], grated Parmigiano Reggiano, some Maldon salt, a bit of olive oil, chopped pine nuts, chopped morel stems, and plenty of chopped Western chives; then drizzled on the outside w/ Alziari olive oil and baked, putting pats of extra stuffing on top somewhere round about halfway through.

Cipriani tagliarelle was cooked as usual then tossed with some butter [Sèvre & Belle] in the bowl containing remnants of the ricotta mixture.

Chopped chives garnish.

On the way there:

DSCN9193a_600.jpg   The top ones were stuffed, the bottom smaller ones saved for another day.

DSCN9196aC_400.jpgDSCN9201a_400.jpg

DSCN9209a_600.jpg

Plus a salad.

DSCN9222a_600.jpg

Young spinach & baby kale [both from Nading Farm], ripped up; green asparagus [Daily Farm, at CFM]; parsley; Persian cucumber. Dressed & tossed w/ olive oil [Moulin Cornille (Fruité Noir), Maussane-les-Alpilles], AgroDolce Bianco Delizia Estense, Maldon salt, black pepper.

• Like 16

Worked in the garden for hours yesterday.  The weeds have been prolific.  Why can't the rabbits eat the weeds????  Anyway, I was so tired last night.  Was happy to have homemade buns in the freezer along with some really good keilbasa that I did in beer with some onions.  

photo.JPG

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

Why can't the rabbits eat the weeds????

I guess for the same reason we don't. They usually don't taste so great. There are obvious exceptions, but I bet the rabbits know that, too.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Don't usually buy tilapia but had some Costco frozen from when I last made gefilte fish a few weeks back.   

Tasted  clean and not muddy like other tilapia I've had.   Just dressed it simply with sliced peppers and diced olives 

image.jpeg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Great looking rolls served with a burger in a skirt!  And that tomato looks like our pit bull's tongue in anticipating of the treat to come.

Burger%20and%20fries%20May%2011th%2C%202

Grilled burgers and shoestring fries (double fried) for last night's dinner.

Kaiser%20Buns%20May%2011th%2C%202016-XL.'

Homemade Kaisers.

Great looking rolls served with a burger in a skirt!  And that tomato looks like our pit bull's tongue in anticipating of the treat to come.

• Like 4

Fish congee with stuff.

DSCN9223a_600.jpg

Sliced wild cod fillet (sliced diagonally) marinated w/ good Shaohsing wine, a dash of double fermented soy sauce [LKK], generous ground white pepper, some sesame oil [Dragonfly]. Reserved. Long grain rice simmered in water (roughly 1:9 starting ratio), covered, w/ smashed ginger (3-4 inches worth, cut into thick rounds first) for about ¾ - 1 hour till the desired consistency was reached. The fish fillets were added and gently folded in, with a tablespoon of fish sauce [Red Boat] as well, and the heat shut off less than a minute later. Bowled & lightly garnished.

Garnishes & accompaniments (L-R):  A type of salty/savory preserved mustard (雪菜王); chopped scallions & plucked coriander leaves; finely sliced scraped ginger; deep-fried crullers (yau char kwai, 油炸鬼 or 油炸粿; a.k.a. youtiau) [Lucky Seasons] re-crisped in the oven before slicing; and, in the bowl, some Tianjin preserved cabbage (天津冬菜)(the brown stuff).

Being additionally garnished & eaten.

DSCN9227b-30a_comb_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 10

Fetteh - Home made yogurt, mixed with hot and creamy chickpeas, toasted pita pieces. Spiced with garlic, cumin, chili and sumac. Topped with cherry tomatoes, mint, parsley, toasted nuts (cashew and almonds), a little peppery olive oil and more sumac. Some of the pita keep crispy, some soaks the juices.

20160513_131807.jpg20160513_131020_HDR.jpg

I really love this dish, and other then cooking the chickpeas (which I do the day before), it's very quick to make.
It has countless variations, with each making it differently. The must ingredients are yogurt, chickpeas and dry/toasted bread (mostly pita). The ratios change widely, some dished consist of chickpeas with yogurt dolloped on top while others are almost yogurt soup. Some add meat. Nuts are almost always present, and I believe that pine nuts are the most traditional. I encourage you to take a look at this image searches (
[1], [2]), the dished are quote sightly and you might enjoy viewing the wide variation.

20160513_134211.jpg

Ouzo with mint, always a good way to finish things.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 13

~ Shai N.

last night I made a Melissa Clark recipe from the New York Times for a ginger-garlic chicken with rice.  I cooked the rice in the stock I poached the chicken in.  

ginger chicken 2.jpg

We had some chilled gai lan with garlic with it.

gai lan.jpg

• Like 12

On 5/12/2016 at 10:39 AM, Shelby said:

Worked in the garden for hours yesterday.  The weeds have been prolific.  Why can't the rabbits eat the weeds????  Anyway, I was so tired last night.  Was happy to have homemade buns in the freezer along with some really good keilbasa that I did in beer with some onions.  

photo.JPG

I think I know what will be for dinner for me tomorrow night.

Sunday will be our 34th wedding anniversary and I have brunch and dinner planned:  eggs Benedict then coq au vin served with egg noodles and some buttery green beans ... two of Johnnybird's favorite things.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 5/11/2016 at 11:04 AM, Shelby said:

Oh yes, when we grind our venison we add fat.  I think we used beef fat from a brisket last time but I'm not sure. 

I dunno why it was dry....I'm hit and miss when it comes to meatloaf.  When I make a good one I always think I'll remember how I did it....and then I don't lol.

I'm convinced that its the panade that moistens a meatloaf and not fat. Gotta be milk and breadcrumbs. I try to err on the side of too much rather than too little.  Its not just moisture but also texture.

• Like 3

Hiked 9 miles to the top of Mount Marcy in the Adirondacks on an empty stomach. Celebrated by feasting on this most ripe and fragrant mango. The juices went all over my beard, so I could still taste it on the descent. Long to be remembered as one of the most satisfying food experiences I have enjoyed..

bfccf029_image.jpg

• Like 17