• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

Pork but tastes like Peking duck. Five-spice is one of the things in the marinade.

1.5kg raw.

4mgz11x.jpg

The result after almost 6 hours

f4AUmiC.jpg

3V7hHgj.jpg

What the whole thing looks like

MB6p7s1.jpg

---------------------

Ann_T, everything is small here, including fish :) Thanks.

Host's note: this topic is one of many segments in the Dinner topic; the previous segment may be found at Dinner 2016 (Part 3).

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 8

Nettles Pesto -- Parm cheese,Pistachios ,lemon grass, Nettles .. good Evoo..I did a some organic raw sugar

Roast beef , Morel, rigotta cheese ravioli

25886164584_ea80a76a39_k.jpg

After cooking Ravioli I pan fried them..

The Patch!!

26424784181_93f9230e84_k.jpg

The steep  which I made into a tea  --Nettles and lemon grass

25888098293_ed272c61af_k.jpg

26218091530_12af296e62_k.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 12

Its good to have Morels

Replenished my chicken supply, so roasted one with ground beef stuffing, surrounded by potatoes, carrots and onions today. Served with purple hulled peas and sweet corn from the freezer. No photos because, with three grandchildren in the house, I forgot.

Something I cooked the other day and failed to either photograph or note, were country-style ribs braised in hard cider with onions, caraway and juniper berries. Served over egg noodles, with a side of sauerkraut. Very good.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Would you please share the recipe?

Hi,

I don't have precise measurements but these are the ingredients in the marinade: 5-spice powder, dry sherry, tamari, sesame oil, and grated ginger root (just squeeze the fiberous pulp and use the liquid). I did make extra marinade and simmer it gently to make a dipping sauce for the pancakes seen in the photos. Pounded garlic and scotch bonnet chillis on the side for me.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Hi,

I don't have precise measurements but these are the ingredients in the marinade: 5-spice powder, dry sherry, tamari, sesame oil, and grated ginger root (just squeeze the fiberous pulp and use the liquid). I did make extra marinade and simmer it gently to make a dipping sauce for the pancakes seen in the photos. Pounded garlic and scotch bonnet chillis on the side for me.

Thanks!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

El Pollo Loco* style chicken served with pinto beans (because that's the side my wife orders when we go to El Pollo Loco).  It smelled so good I started chomping before I remembered to snap a pic.  But I also took a pic of the leftover chicken.

el-pollo-one.jpg

el-pollo-two.jpg

*For those that don't know, El Pollo Loco is a chain of fast food chicken restaurants.

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Chicken marsala.  Or perhaps more correctly, poulet marsala.  DeCecco thin spaghetti.  Baguette.  Soave.  Spring mix salad not shown (nor eaten).  Poor salad will probably be served tonight to accompany grilled lamb.

PouletMarsala04182016.png

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Hi,

@BonVivant, the marinade sounds delicious, and your photography is professional quality as usual. I just have to ask if that is the optimum way you like your pork, though? To each their own, but it looks a little dry to me. No offense meant at all. I often cook pork shoulder, and I like mine with a bit more moisture and a little fat left after most has been rendered off. I'm in complete awe of your perfection in cooking, ingredients and photography so this is why I dare to ask such an awkward question. I was a bit surprised, and I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

TFTC, the layer closest to the surface looks a bit dry, yes. I quickly pulled out mostly the top layer for the photos. Below this layer it was fine. I kept adding beer to the tray the whole time. Of course, I need more practice to archive perfection one day.

Not an awkward question at all and thanks for asking.

• Like 5

Having spent a good part of the day with a dear friend who was suffering from food poisoning, I was more than usually careful with this dinner, tonight.

IMG_9468.jpg

Pan roasted chicken breast (1-10-10 method) with a very simple green salad of lettuce, mint and scallions. Served with couscous, raisins and more mint. Mint from my balcony.

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Asparagus Salad with Spicy Chinese Mustard Vinaigrette-

IMG_0221.JPG

I blanched the asparagus spears and stalks (cut in half) for 3 minutes in boiling water, then into an ice bath to chill.  The vinaigrette is really easy--a mixture of seasoned rice vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, hot Chinese mustard, black and white sesame seeds.  I just adjust the ratio of vinegar to oil to suit my personal tastes and I only add a small bit of soy sauce.  The salad is garnished with green onion threads I cut using a Japanese vegetable cutter, then soak the green onions in cold water in the fridge until they crisp up.

• Like 13

A few recent meals.

Fresh chicken stock/broth** w/ wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) [Viet Hua supermarket], sliced green cabbage, chopped-up chicken thighs; with roasted vermicelli [Ahmed Foods] (International Bazaar) softened into the soup at the end.

DSCN8810b_600.jpg

** The chicken frames for the stock came from Simpson Farms via IWFM.

There were also many small bowls of the chicken stock/broth drunk as-is, with great satisfaction. Also other soups with veggies and stuff, including with green amaranth.

I picked up some wonderful cranberry-walnut bread from Amelia's on one of my grocery shopping trips.

Had this with "pickled" pork tongue [Love Handle] (see here too) sliced lengthwise and pan-fried, plus free-range duck eggs [Redwine Farm; from the Indy Winter Farmers' Market (IWFM)] scrambled w/ scallions. Yes, the duck egg yolks were pretty yellow/orange.

DSCN8820a_600.jpg

DSCN8822a_600.jpg

...and also with pork Schnecken [Claus' German Sausage and Meats] pan-fried w/ fresh thyme & other stuff including the fond & residues from frying onions; plus those fried red onions; plus fresh blue oyster mushrooms [Shamrock Farm; via IWFM - see above] sautéed w/ fresh baby leeks [Farming Engineers; via IWFM].

DSCN8827b_600.jpg

DSCN8830a_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

Pork loin roast, rubbed with Montreal Poultry Rub and turbinado sugar, then smoked to an IT of 145F, then a very light sear with the searing torch.  Served with steamed and buttered Brussels Sprouts and carrot and celery sticks because I forgot to buy lettuce to make salad.

pork-roast-sug1.jpg

pork-roast-sug2.jpg

pork-roast-sug3.jpg

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

image.jpeg

Sv'd chicken thighs (from freezer), oven-baked fries and greens grown indoors (with much help from eG gardeners) dressed lightly with a limoncello vinaigrette. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog