• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

IP Potatoes :

Ive been doing 7 min with a 10 minutes release for both cut up russets and red bliss for potato salad.  works fine.

Its a bit cooler here so I though some Mashed with meatloaf etc

its been a while for mash in the IP due to summer heat

so I looked it up in "Hip" and the book suggested :  13 - 15 , 10 minute release.

perhaps potato salad spuds are substantially firmer ?

what's your take on this difference.

many thanks

I just made mashed potatoes in the instant pot a couple of nights ago. I used the all in one pot method which includes the butter and milk. I used russet potatoes, peeled them, sliced them about 1/2 inch thick and set the timer for seven minutes with quick release as per the recipe I was following. The potatoes were not quite done and I had to add a little more milk and gave them two more minutes again with quick release.  I could not imagine 13 to 15 minutes with a slow release. The only way this might work is if you used whole potatoes. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

as I thought ....

I cut up russets unpeeled and place them in a basket above the water.  Ill do 7 w 10 minute release and check them then.

the Rx in " Hip "  says    "  If the potatoes are not similar in size, cut the larger one into pieces so that they are "

Okay, it sounds like the IP is pretty useful. In fact, judging from several (not all) pages of this thread it can be used for just about everything except maybe a grilled steak, but I don't really have a sense of what it does best. I don't own a pressure cooker or a rice cooker. Some of the things I might want to do faster and simpler are the following:

Cook rice for a crowd (I love the rice I cook stovetop, but large quantities for more than 4 or 5 people when I have lots of other things to juggle is a pain).  Cook grits or polenta without all the intensive labor.  Make modest quantities of stock quickly for specific dishes if I don't have any frozen stock on hand. It seems like all three of these tasks could be done well with the IP, correct?

Oh, and I don't make yogurt nor do I want to. The pricier model seems to involve the yogurt function. Is that good for anything else?

It would be useful to hear what your top uses are for the IP; like what three or four chores do you swear by it for?

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

2 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Okay, it sounds like the IP is pretty useful. In fact, judging from several (not all) pages of this thread it can be used for just about everything except maybe a grilled steak, but I don't really have a sense of what it does best. I don't own a pressure cooker or a rice cooker. Some of the things I might want to do faster and simpler are the following:

Cook rice for a crowd (I love the rice I cook stovetop, but large quantities for more than 4 or 5 people when I have lots of other things to juggle is a pain).  Cook grits or polenta without all the intensive labor.  Make modest quantities of stock quickly for specific dishes if I don't have any frozen stock on hand. It seems like all three of these tasks could be done well with the IP, correct?

It would be useful to hear what your top uses are for the IP; like what three or four chores do you swear by it for?

Hard boiled eggs

Cheesecake

Chicken stock

Green beans and new potatoes

Collard greens

Beans

I enjoyed the lobster stock I made with it at the weekend.

The only thing I have used the yogurt function for is ricotta. So far.

Keep warm function is a less precise basic water bath which might be useful if you don't have a dedicated tool?

eggs, a doz, at a time.  chill and have ready

potatoes  :  for salad and mashed

root veg  : beets if you can find them. I don't see why not other hard root veg  : turnips rutabagas

stock  ( all kinds with bones you might have tossed out :  30 min )

its so easy I never waists timings, or chicken and turkey carcass's 

in the winter, Ill use the Fz stock Ive made over time and just add frozen veg. from those 1 lbs bags for soup

Some of the main things I use it for are beets, potatoes, yogurt, lamb shanks, lasagna and baby back spare ribs.  I have also used it to bake cheesecake.  I use it a lot, which is more than I can say for some of my other small appliances.

• Like 1

OH YEAH,

I forgot ribs and yogurt.  We cold smoke the ribs, vac pac and freeze them.  When ready to eat them I IP them for about 50 mins the slap some bbq sauce on and broil in the oven.  Heavenly.

• Like 1

Ribs, definitely. Both pork side or baby back ribs and beef short ribs. Stews, tenderizing tough cuts. Soups. Potatoes. Eggs. Rice. Beans.

The ability to sauté in the same pot before using the slow-cooker function. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

The Facebook group is VERY active and worth a join, by the way. 

Hip pressure cooking blog is also great. 

I really like the BBC Good Food pressure cooking book (which was £3 off Amazon IIRC) but I realise this might not translate :)

• Like 1

My go to instant pot foods are:

Hot sauce (hip pressure cooking) Crazy easy and delish!
Eggs

Champ ( Dad Cooks Dinner)
Chowder
Chicken Soup , beef barley, cream of mushroom....
Low Country Boil

Whole Chicken

Stock
Pork Belly

Ribs
Veggies Manual High pressure for 0 minutes
Meatloaf wrapped in bacon
Rice ( I suck at stove top rice)

Oxtails

Beans especially chick peas

Rice pudding

Risotto
Beets for Beet salad...

I haven't made yogurt yet
I umm, use it a lot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tere said:

The Facebook group is VERY active and worth a join, by the way. 

Hip pressure cooking blog is also great. 

I really like the BBC Good Food pressure cooking book (which was £3 off Amazon IIRC) but I realise this might not translate :)

It is a huge site! Lots of cheesecake, how to boil eggs  and make mac and cheese. But there are some great recipes there when you dig around. I really like facebook's Instant pot for Indian Cooking.

This is not authentic in any sense of the word! I used items I had on hand in the fridge and the pantry and being short of potatoes my menu really changed!

Thai Coconut Soup Instant Pot 
Saute in light oil or coconut oil

1 diced onion
1 TBS grated ginger
5 cloves chopped garlic
Add 1 TBS Red Curry Paste
Large cubes of chicken uncooked
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Quickly cook paste and lightly give chicken a bit of colour
Add 5 or 6 stewed tomatoes(quartered) and 1/2 cup of juice
Add small head of cauliflower , large florets
Manual High pressure for 4 minutes
5 minutes Natural pressure release
Add 1 can of coconut milk
Juice of a lime
Turn to saute high
Add raw shrimp
Cook until shrimp are no longer pink
Squeeze with fresh lime juice!

13882551_10153691871397703_941009532316822287_n.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Oh, and I don't make yogurt nor do I want to. The pricier model seems to involve the yogurt function. Is that good for anything else?

My favorite is that I can saute the makings for a soup, stew or braised dish before shifting over to the slow-cook function. Love it for beans. Love it for rice; haven't tried for grits. Also love being able to cook a cut of meat, quickly, as in for carnitas, etc. Retains moisture well in dishes with chicken breasts, which I have a hard time not drying out.

I use it at least twice a week. More in cool weather, when I tend more toward soups, stews and braised things.

Oh, and it makes GREAT apple butter.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

I'm going to try farro. I am going to search for brown rice cooking methods and try that unless someone suggests otherwise. 

I am anxious to try farro, also.  I have never eaten it before never mind cooked it! 

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I love farro but have not cooked it in the IP yet.  The Hip Pressure Cooking book says to use 2 cups of liquid per cup of farro and cook 9 minutes at high pressure with "normal" release.  

In her lingo, normal means releasing the pressure by turning the release valve until there is no pressure.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

yes indeed.   " release " semantics from 'Hip" take a bit of getting used to, for sure.

Used to really rankle with me but I think she has tried to clear up the confusion in most of the recipes now.   She (Member [Laura] pazzaglia) has proven to be a very reliable and useful resource for Instant Pot aficionados.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

indeed.   the 'Hip' book and the Website are all you need to get the most out of your IP

of course, the IP thread here is outstanding ,   as usual.

Im guessing w/o  LP and eG  the electric PC would not have taken off

after all, the Test Kitchen Poo-Poo'd it

they did not I recall test the IntaPot.  TheirBad.

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I love farro but have not cooked it in the IP yet.  The Hip Pressure Cooking book says to use 2 cups of liquid per cup of farro and cook 9 minutes at high pressure with "normal" release.  

In her lingo, normal means releasing the pressure by turning the release valve until there is no pressure.  

Thanks!

• Like 1