• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

Why do I, when I read these IP threads, think that I must need an IP when I already own at least a half dozen very modern stove top pressure cookers that I love?

I'm also a lover of stove-top pressure cookers.

I recommend borrowing an IP from a friend before purchase or buying one that's easily returnable — if need be.

Electric pressure cookers are nice in some ways, but I MUCH prefer the stove-tops.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

If you buy one you WILL use it and will see that it is not just 'a replacement for a stovetop pressure cooker'. Try to think of it is as a different thing entirely. Yes, it uses pressure - two different pressures in the case of the DUOs - but aside from the fact that I think it is much easier (and lighter) to clean, etc. it is silent, it is cool (great if you have a hot kitchen in summer), it has a timer and it automatically goes to 'keep warm' (for many hours if need be) so you don't have to worry if you are late back to the kitchen to check on your food. It probably uses less energy as well. They serve similar purposes in some respects but are not simply a replacement for one another.

I made stock the other day from a chicken carcass - and realized too late that I had no room in the fridge, no ice to cool it down and it was late at night anyway and I didn't feel like dealing with it till manana. In a former life I might have left it all on the stove to simmer all night (and I have burnt out the bottom of pans doing that in the past because of evaporation beyond what I expected - and heat fluctuations) ... this time I merely pushed a single button and kept it on 'keep warm' in the IP for over 24 hours and it was perfectly contained, controlled, safe - I took its temp several times the first time I did that - and in the end, delicious. I think it slightly caramelized a bit during that long 'simmer' as well - the depth of flavour was amazing. I don't think I lost any liquid because the top is so well sealed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lindag said:

Why do I, when I read these IP threads, think that I must need an IP when I already own at least a half dozen very modern stove top pressure cookers that I love?

Because you want to be able to walk away while it does it's thing.

• Like 5

Reading these Instant Pot threads and finding out the Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000Wir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00FLYWNYB00FLYWNYQ is $69.99 as part of today's Amazon Prime Day is pushing me over the edge. I think I am going to pop for one.

eta: removed link question. Thanks!

Edited by natasha1270
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 3
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

The Canadian price is also reduced to under $100 but I thought perhaps I could order 2 via the US and have them shipped to a friend down there ... one for her and one (spare) for me (for when I go down south). Won't let you order 2 (and says that 'this order can only be for you' - so while I didn't try it, I am not sure they will like it if I try to ship to yet another address anyway). And while I can have one account that works either side of the border (and lets me use different addresses, cards, etc.), apparently I have to join Prime in Canada as well as the US in order to be able to order for the Prime deal price here. Another time I guess.

But it is a great price so if anyone is thinking about getting an IP .. today is probably the day to do it.

• Like 1

I'd love to know how many Instant Pots, CSOs and Anovas have been sold because of eGullet. I believe those three companies ought to endow the forum. (I can personally speak for four Anovas and five IPs, including my own, purchased because I learned about them here and passed the recommendation on.)

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, cdh said:

We should really have a amazon charity link in this thread so we can fund the place with a cut of the sales made when people from here click through... they do that, don't they? 

We do get a cut for every sale made when someone goes onto Amazon via a link here and buys - doesn't have to be the object in question.  Here's a link to the IP:  Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000Wir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00FLYWNY.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

God Damnit!  Arriving in three days with a Prime Card Membership which I should remember to cancel in 30 days.

SHEESH!

Now I have to plough three three parts of threads to learn what to do with it.

Bloodly-hell and where heck am I to put it, huh?  Where!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

God Damnit!  Arriving in three days with a Prime Card Membership which I should remember to cancel in 30 days.

SHEESH!

Now I have to plough three three parts of threads to learn what to do with it.

Bloodly-hell and where heck am I to put it, huh?  Where!

xD  Welcome to you...and all of the others....to the IP side.

PS--The prime does come in handy should you forget to cancel....

• Like 3

well

start slow :

a doz. eggs, HB  chill etc

Fill it up with, oddly, Potatoes of your choose, above the pull out rack.  one cup water for each.

pressure - steam.

several days of the best potato salad ingredients you've ever made.

Pedestrian ? yes ?  done in < 12 minutes or so, total.

not fancy, but the best HB eggs and steam pressure potatoes for the above you've ever made.

• Like 3

then the potatoes.

while all that stuff cools and gets cold  

got any fresh beets ?

sounds so pedestrian, doesn't it.

the IP is the pedestrians friend.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Ok, thanks and I do have fresh beets.

Good grief, what have I gotten myself into.

Trust us.  You will wonder why you waited so long (except for the fact that this was a great price).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ok, thanks and I do have fresh beets.

Good grief, what have I gotten myself into.

Fresh beets?  You have a CSO don't you?  The NY Times has an article on an Icelandic chef in NYC who serves a beet steak as if it were a beef steak...much as I do from the CSO.

Sorry for the distraction, carry on.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 hours ago, cdh said:

We should really have a amazon charity link in this thread so we can fund the place with a cut of the sales made when people from here click through... they do that, don't they? 

You can go to www.smile.amazon.com and, following their instructions, designate/select eGullet (or the charity of your choice) and every time you make a purchase on the smile.amazon.com web site (which is basically the same as amazon.com) a small portion of your purchase price will go to your designated charity.

Easy peasy! :B

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver