• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

I ran across this recipe for corn chowder in my email the other day.  I must try it while the wonderful fresh corn is still available.

Fresh Corn Chowder in the Pressure Cooker

6 ears fresh corn
4 Tbs butter
1-½ cups chopped onion
3 cups water
2 medium potatoes, diced
2 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs water
3 cups half-and-half or milk*
1/8 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
4 slices bacon, cooked and diced
2 Tbs fresh parsley (can substitute dried)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Shuck the corn. Use a sharp knife to cut off the kernels.

Select Sauté and add the butter to the pressure cooker pot. When butter is melted, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes.

Add the 3 cups water and corncobs to the pressure cooking pot. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure and 10 minutes cook time and start. When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker, and do a quick pressure release. Carefully remove corncobs and discard them. Leave the corncob broth in the pressure cooking pot.

Put the steamer basket in the pressure cooker pot. Add the diced potatoes and corn kernels. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure and 4 minutes cook time and press start. When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker, and do a quick pressure release. Carefully remove steamer basket, potatoes and corn from the pressure cooking pot.

In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water. Select Simmer and add cornstarch mixture to the pot stirring constantly until soup thickens.

Stir in milk, cayenne pepper, corn kernels, diced potatoes, bacon, and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat through but do not bring to a boil.

Yield: 6 - 8 servings

Source: Pressure Cooking Today

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I ran across this recipe for corn chowder in my email the other day.  I must try it while the wonderful fresh corn is still available

That sounds good.  I have this version of a roasted corn chowder marked to try so I appreciate the reminder to get on with it!  I figured I'd just do the first step of making the corn cob broth under pressure and then either switch to a regular pot or use the IP sauté function for the rest.  

One more IP data point to report - Israeli-style couscous.  

After I made the IP pork roast with peaches and prosciutto that I mentioned above, I also used the IP to cook the Trader Joe's "Harvest Grains" blend (Israeli style couscous, orzo, baby garbanzos and red quinoa) that I served along with it.

Stove top cooking time per the package is 10 min and I was debating what to use when I found this: Pressure Cooker Israeli Couscous describing the exact product and recommending a cooking time of 5 minutes.

I cooked half a package + 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth in a pyrex casserole dish (pot-in-pot method) on manual, high pressure for 5 min.  Perfect!

IMG_3535.jpg

Probably could have steamed the broccoli in the IP as well but it was just as easy to do that in the microwave.

• Like 9

Alright.  So, yesterday, I made a vow that I was NOT going to stop trying to make a poached egg in the IP until I got it right.  Large eggs were 29 cents a dozen so I felt ok about burning through a few if I needed to.  Thinking about it now, I should have weighed the eggs but I didn't.  The first egg I used was one of the store bought ones.  I had excellent results on the first try:

I placed one cup of water in the IP.  I placed a buttered silicone holder on the trivet that comes with the pot.  I placed the lid on and closed the vent.  I set the time for 4 minutes.  Low pressure and used the Steam setting.  Quick release.  Perfect placed egg.

We had breakfast for dinner so I used the same method only this time I did 3 eggs--in 3 separate silicone holders.  Same perfect results.  

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

If one uses ramekins or some kind of bowl, this method would have to be adjusted to a shorter time, I think.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Alright.  So, yesterday, I made a vow that I was NOT going to stop trying to make a poached egg in the IP until I got it right.  Large eggs were 29 cents a dozen so I felt ok about burning through a few if I needed to.  Thinking about it now, I should have weighed the eggs but I didn't.  The first egg I used was one of the store bought ones.  I had excellent results on the first try:

I placed one cup of water in the IP.  I placed a buttered silicone holder on the trivet that comes with the pot.  I placed the lid on and closed the vent.  I set the time for 4 minutes.  Low pressure and used the Steam setting.  Quick release.  Perfect placed egg.

We had breakfast for dinner so I used the same method only this time I did 3 eggs--in 3 separate silicone holders.  Same perfect results.  

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

If one uses ramekins or some kind of bowl, this method would have to be adjusted to a shorter time, I think.

Shelby, what were the whites like?  I have an aversion to slimy whites.

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Shelby, what were the whites like?  I have an aversion to slimy whites.

The whites were perfectly set.  No slime.  It's hard to tell that in the silicone container but you can kind of tell by looking at the egg on the toast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The whites were perfectly set.  No slime.  It's hard to tell that in the silicone container but you can kind of tell by looking at the egg on the toast.

Thanks.  I'll give these a shot as I love poached eggs and have trouble getting them right.  Eggs for 29 cents a dozen?  The cheapest I have ever seen them sell for around here is just under $3 a dozen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

29 c. / doz ?

what a deal... 49 - 89 here.  there must bed too manny chickens around after that birdFlu a while back.

Must be.  My husband came home with a LOT of eggs.  He can't pass up a good deal lol.

• Like 1

@blue_dolphin

Thank you so much for posting about the Israeli couscous.  I have a very small amount left but I'm thinking there is no reason I can't add some orzo and some lentils to make enough for a couple of servings. Neither Trader Joe's nor Amazon are options for me at the moment. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The curd formation in homemade ricotta in the Instant Pot. These are the curds I expect to get and was unable to do so while up in Manitoulin.  I am posting them here specifically for @JohnT.  Do not know if it was the milk, the lemon juice or my technique that would not work on the island.   I find my yoghurt cheese maker the perfect utensil for draining the ricotta.  I spoon it out of the IP with a skimmer. image.jpeg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Guess what I used my Instant Pot to make???? Popsicles!!!  This thing can do ANYTHING!  

OK, I didn't actually make popsicles in the IP, but I did use it xD!

The first step in the recipe for pear, ginger & cream pops was to chop the pears and cook on the stove until they were soft.  I also wanted to steam some candied ginger to soften it so I could add chewy little ginger cubes (rather than rock-hard ginger pebbles) to the pops.

I put the chopped pears into the IP with 1/4 cup of water and set a few pieces of candied ginger on top of the pears.  5 min at high pressure did the job perfectly.  I ended up with ~ 1/2 cup of gingery-pear liquid after cooking and used that to make the ginger-infused simple syrup used to sweeten the pops so all the flavor went into the pops.  

I posted them over in the popsicle thread

• Like 9

good news :

the IP 4 min HP eggs with IR   ( instant release )

when chilled in the refirg  after various cloddish water baths

peel very nicely and esily

N.B.:  these are large supermarket plain generic eggs, having spent a bit of time in my cold

refrig.

Ill do them this way in the futures.

• Like 1

I edited for a long time but like you I caved and proud of it.  You will love it.  As Shelby advised, start with Four minute eggs with quick release.  The manufacturers website has great videos on how to use the various functions.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kayb said:

@robirdstx-- welcome to the Dark Side. You'll love your IP.

Thank you, I think! :D My husband wants me to make @Shelby's KFC fried chicken first thing. I told him we will see. Really looking forward to playing with and learning to use the IP.

• Like 3

I have to say mussels are incredible in this. HOT HOT day in Calgary, came home and had dinner out on the deck within 20 minutes! Mussels 1 minute manual high pressure and quick release. SO GOOD! Here's my basic recipe:
Instant Pot Mussels:
On low saute add olive oil and 1/2 diced onion until soft
5 cloves of chopped garlic
Salt and Black pepper
Saute until soft but not brown
Add 1 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of water
2 chopped green onion
Handful chopped parsley
1/4 cup of butter
Saute for a few minutes or so to cook off some of the wine
Add a package of fresh mussels
manual High for 1 minute Quick Release
sprinkle with fresh parsley and lemon!
Crusty bread to dip in this most excellent broth~

14054039_10153738308962703_959712897900137900_n.jpg

• Like 7

@Mmmpomps, thank you very much for that recipe and inspiration.  Now, I want to ask - how the heck are you getting fresh mussels in Calgary?? Do you have some magic connection to an ocean, or a very good grocer?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Smithy said:

@Mmmpomps, thank you very much for that recipe and inspiration.  Now, I want to ask - how the heck are you getting fresh mussels in Calgary?? Do you have some magic connection to an ocean, or a very good grocer?

LOL no Alberta oceans here ;) I pick my mussels up at Costco ... I imagine if you have access to fresh fresh mussels this would be even better!!!!!!!! I have a great Butcher but I haven't found a great fish monger yet....

• Like 1