• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

5 minutes ago, Mmmpomps said:

LOL no Alberta oceans here ;) I pick my mussels up at Costco ... I imagine if you have access to fresh fresh mussels this would be even better!!!!!!!! I have a great Butcher but I haven't found a great fish monger yet....

Well, since you and I are in about the same midlands non-boat, what size package (approximately) of mussels are you using for the proportions you posted above?  I see them occasionally in our Duluth stores.  I think they're usually sold in lots of, er, a pint?  (I've never bought them.)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Smithy said:

Well, since you and I are in about the same midlands non-boat, what size package (approximately) of mussels are you using for the proportions you posted above?  I see them occasionally in our Duluth stores.  I think they're usually sold in lots of, er, a pint?  (I've never bought them.)

This is most peculiar! I looked at the container and there is NO weight on it. How can that be? I'd say its a kilo! Costco sells them in packs of two. Everything is bigger at Costco. Really for the broth you can use as much as you want, I was mostly concerned to have at least a cup of liquid in the pot then extra to dip bread in:)  The man here actually picked up the serving bowl and took a healthy drink of the broth ;) I added lime juice to the broth as well before cooking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

LOL no Alberta oceans here ;) I pick my mussels up at Costco ... I imagine if you have access to fresh fresh mussels this would be even better!!!!!!!! I have a great Butcher but I haven't found a great fish monger yet....

MAP   Modified atmosphere packaging allows them to travel far, far from where they are harvested. If memory serves me correctly they are sold (at Costco) as two packages to a tray with a combined weight of about 2.75 Kg. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

MAP   Modified atmosphere packaging allows them to travel far, far from where they are harvested. If memory serves me correctly they are sold (at Costco) as two packages to a tray with a combined weight of about 2.75 Kg. 

Those are the ones!! 

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I discovered the old  'onion confit' thread over the weekend and you guessed it, the IP is loaded with onions set on slow cook, high temp with the lid on for the first 6 hours.  I am taking pictures.

When I did mine in the IP they came out more like onion 'jam' still really good but very, very soft and smooth. How are you doing yours?

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I discovered the old  'onion confit' thread over the weekend and you guessed it, the IP is loaded with onions set on slow cook, high temp with the lid on for the first 6 hours.  I am taking pictures.

I will be interested to hear how fragrant that gets. My daughter, who lives with me, would go nuclear when I would caramelize onions in the crockpot, because of the smell. Yeah, it's stout, but it's not unbearable. I would thing the IP would be less fragrant. Your experience?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 minutes ago, Mmmpomps said:

When I did mine in the IP they came out more like onion 'jam' still really good but very, very soft and smooth. How are you doing yours?

Yes, I a going for soft like the one in the thread I mentioned.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kayb said:

I will be interested to hear how fragrant that gets. My daughter, who lives with me, would go nuclear when I would caramelize onions in the crockpot, because of the smell. Yeah, it's stout, but it's not unbearable. I would thing the IP would be less fragrant. Your experience?

Well, they have been in the pot with the lid on for about 2 1/2 hrs and are starting to get aromatic and the duck fat is definitely discernible.  There is a lot of moisture in there just as documented in the old thread.  Lots of time to go as it is supposed to take 15 hours.

• Like 1

So, I finally finished reading all 16 pages of this thread, only took two hours...lol I got the IP as a gift for myself in April just coz and it was Amazon prime day(nuf said), and to this day, it's still in the box. I guess my project tomorrow is set it free from its shackles and unleash its power. You guys inspire me with the multitude of yumminess you guys produce with the IP. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

What setting did you use and for how long?

12 hours ago, Wild_Yeast said:

So, I finally finished reading all 16 pages of this thread, only took two hours...lol I got the IP as a gift for myself in April just coz and it was Amazon prime day(nuf said), and to this day, it's still in the box. I guess my project tomorrow is set it free from its shackles and unleash its power. You guys inspire me with the multitude of yumminess you guys produce with the IP. 

Don't forget Part 1 & Part 2. xD

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Over on the Facebook group, someone posted a link to this list of accessories that may be helpful for new IP users

Thank you! I have the glass lid coming today. I have the little loaf pans, custard dishes and bamboo steamer. I am still looking through my cupboards to see what else can be useful. Am sure I will need to get more stuff! :D

PS Inital test run successful!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 2

Well, the first batch of onion confit is done.

4 lbs of white sliced onions with duck fat, veal stock paste (thanks Rotus) and muscovado sugar went in the pot for 15 hours on high heat slow cook lid on.First pic is at the start and second pic is at 15 hours.

They were still a little toothsome and very, very wet so I put them in my oven on convection bake at 210F for an hour; still wet, increased temp to 230F for another two hours; still wet, increased temp to 240F for another hour.  Started getting dried out on top.  Took them out, third pic.  Turned the heat on high and stirred until all the moisture left and it began to sizzle in the duck fat left.  Finally done...last picture.  Yes it is very 'jammy' but that's what I was after.  For flavourings I added some Madeira this time and thyme sprigs/bay leaf.  

Another 4 lbs is in the IP doing the 'stew for 15 hours and I will probably finish them off the same way but increase the oven temp to 230F convection at the start.

I think I will divide it up and add some different flavours mentioned on the onion confit thread:  balsamic vinegar; sherry vinegar; bacon; anchovies and cassis.

I have more onions prepped and will do just in the oven at 200F for 12 hours tomorrow to see what the difference is.  And, then that should be enough onion confit.

DSC01617.jpgDSC01619.jpgDSC01620.jpgDSC01622.jpg

• Like 8

First meal in the IP! I adapted my usual chili recipe to test my new toy. I used the Saute function to soften the onions and to brown the ground pork and beef. After draining off the fat, I returned the onions and meat to the pot, added the remaining ingredients and brought them up to a boil. Then used the Manual function to pressure cook for 5 minutes with Natural Release (which took about 25 minutes). I then added a maseca slurry to thicken the sauce and used the Saute function to bring the chili back to boil while stirring, then changed to the Keep Warm function for about 10 minutes before serving. My husband said I could keep feeding him like this!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Well, the first batch of onion confit is done.

4 lbs of white sliced onions with duck fat, veal stock paste (thanks Rotus) and muscovado sugar went in the pot for 15 hours on high heat slow cook lid on.First pic is at the start and second pic is at 15 hours.

They were still a little toothsome and very, very wet so I put them in my oven on convection bake at 210F for an hour; still wet, increased temp to 230F for another two hours; still wet, increased temp to 240F for another hour.  Started getting dried out on top.  Took them out, third pic.  Turned the heat on high and stirred until all the moisture left and it began to sizzle in the duck fat left.  Finally done...last picture.  Yes it is very 'jammy' but that's what I was after.  For flavourings I added some Madeira this time and thyme sprigs/bay leaf.  

Another 4 lbs is in the IP doing the 'stew for 15 hours and I will probably finish them off the same way but increase the oven temp to 230F convection at the start.

I think I will divide it up and add some different flavours mentioned on the onion confit thread:  balsamic vinegar; sherry vinegar; bacon; anchovies and cassis.

I have more onions prepped and will do just in the oven at 200F for 12 hours tomorrow to see what the difference is.  And, then that should be enough onion confit.

DSC01617.jpgDSC01619.jpgDSC01620.jpgDSC01622.jpg

I have never used the slow cook function on the IP! I sauted my onions for about 3 to 5 minutes then manual high pressure for 20 minutes. But the end result looks the same :) Yours look great!!!!

M

4 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Thank you! I have the glass lid coming today. I have the little loaf pans, custard dishes and bamboo steamer. I am still looking through my cupboards to see what else can be useful. Am sure I will need to get more stuff! :D

PS Inital test run successful!

The little springform pan is really nice.

31 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

First meal in the IP! I adapted my usual chili recipe to test my new toy. I used the Saute function to soften the onions and to brown the ground pork and beef. After draining off the fat, I returned the onions and meat to the pot, added the remaining ingredients and brought them up to a boil. Then used the Manual function to pressure cook for 5 minutes with Natural Release (which took about 25 minutes). I then added a maseca slurry to thicken the sauce and used the Saute function to bring the chili back to boil while stirring, then changed to the Keep Warm function for about 10 minutes before serving. My husband said I could keep feeding him like this!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It'll make a believer out of you quickly. Highly recommend your favorite Rancho Gordo recipe in it.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've had really good luck so far with beans, and with mixed-saute dishes like onions, corn, tomatoes, meat (optional) and then already-cooked beans.  DH says I can keep feeding him like that, too!

Today's experiment was a bit less successful.  I had a head of cauliflower that I wanted to soften using the pressure cooker mode, then slice, drizzle with oil and roast in the oven.  Being busy with other things I set it up for high-pressure cooking (on manual setting), turned it off after 6 minutes, and allowed it to slowly come back to room pressure.  The head was so soft I could barely take it off the steamer rack.  It became mashed cauliflower and went into the oven with seasonings, as for mashed potato, but we both agreed it was too watery. I wanted it softened but firm enough to slice and hold its shape for oven roasting until it got a nice brown edge. Next time, unless I hear better advice, I'll either try shorter steam, quicker pressure release, or both.  For instance, I may bring it just to pressure then turn off and allow natural release, or else cook it for 3 minutes with quick release.  Advice, anyone?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Buffalo chicken wings tonight! I cooked baby potatoes in the pot with 1 cup of water and 1 green onion chopped, salt and pepper. Steamer metal basket on top with the wings layered on that with salt, pepper and hot chili flakes. Manual pressure High for ten minutes with ten minutes natural pressure release. Toss wings in Franks buffalo wing sauce with butter and a splash of vinegar, broil until browned. Remove spuds and keep warm while wings are browning. Add broccoli , large flowerettes to the steamer basket , with the chickeny water in the pot. I popped in a whole corn cob I cooked last nite, still in the husk for 0 minutes Manual high pressure and quick release. Broc was perfect :) 

14079925_10153743879867703_6961438486617562680_n.jpg

• Like 5