• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

A tale of two cheesecakes....

I made the recipe on the back of the springform pan label for a gathering on Saturday.  

On July 21, 2016 at 10:28 AM, blue_dolphin said:

IMG_3407.jpg

Apologies for the crappy photo.  The font is extremely tiny and the glue blob refused my attempts to remove it.

Also, I have no idea what the called-for spicy cheddar cheese dip is but I figured I'd use a Velveeta/Rotel mixture.

I followed @Shelby's advice and baked the crust in the Cuisi oven, main cook in the IP and back in Cuisi to bake the top layer.  

It was a hit at the party.  For this 6" pan, I'd scale down the filling a bit so it's not so tall.  Also, the Frito crust didn't hold together at all and ended up like a layer of sand on the bottom. I'd put a round of parchment paper on the bottom so I was still able to transfer it to the platter easily but next time I will add a little egg white or parmesan cheese to see if that will help it hold together.   

Of course, a "next time" will mean buying more Velveeta and there's no telling where that might lead xD...

Yesterday, I used the half package of cream cheese and some ricotta I'd also made in the IP to make a half batch of these Limoncello Ricotta Cheesecakes.  Half the recipe yielded 3 little custard cups:

IMG_3428.jpg

Nice flavor, not too sweet or too rich.  I'll make this again, with the full recipe in the springform pan.  I used biscotti as specified for the crust but I'd like to try using TJ's Triple Ginger Snaps instead.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

I changed my mind and made grilled polenta with carmelized onion, carmelized corn and kielbasa, shrimps in my hotsauce (made in the IP) Deglaze the shrimp pan with white wine and drizzle over plate. I will do this again the flavours were great!

13686489_10153669790252703_1534158231120671719_n.jpg

Your brunch polenta was already fabulous but this one is even more over the top.  Thank you for recommending the polenta method over on hippressurecooking.com.  I've got to give this a try.  

13 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

I also tried that recipe for caramelized onions.  I ended up with a large amount of liquid after the pressure cooking step and it took such a long period of stirring on the Sauté function (almost 40 minutes) that the onions had pretty much turned into a paste.  

I was disappointed as I'd been expecting onions, not onion purée and the claim of "caramelized onions in 30 minutes" turned out to be bogus in my hands.  However, I froze it in ice cube trays and it's been great to thaw out a cube or two and get that great caramelized flavor in an instant.  Smeared on a flatbread, sprinkled with grated cheese and broiled - yum!  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Your brunch polenta was already fabulous but this one is even more over the top.  Thank you for recommending the polenta method over on hippressurecooking.com.  I've got to give this a try.  

I also tried that recipe for caramelized onions.  I ended up with a large amount of liquid after the pressure cooking step and it took such a long period of stirring on the Sauté function (almost 40 minutes) that the onions had pretty much turned into a paste.  

I was disappointed as I'd been expecting onions, not onion purée and the claim of "caramelized onions in 30 minutes" turned out to be bogus in my hands.  However, I froze it in ice cube trays and it's been great to thaw out a cube or two and get that great caramelized flavor in an instant.  Smeared on a flatbread, sprinkled with grated cheese and broiled - yum!  

Seems to me we went through quite a discussion some time back on making caramelized onions in the slow cooker.  If I recall the method worked well for some of us and not so well for others.  Might have also have had a discussion on the Modernist Cuisine method of doing caramelized onions.   I know I still prefer to do them stovetop.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks! You will have to scrub your IP after making it though it does make a 'crust' on the bottom!

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks! You will have to scrub your IP after making it though it does make a 'crust' on the bottom!

Yes the onions I found to be more like an onion 'jam' ! Smeared on the polenta was incredible! I probably sauteed for 10 minutes and it did set up more on its own.

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)

well

if you have a crust on the bottom of your IP 'vessel '

why not just put a cup of water in the bottom  and IP that for

what  10 minutes ?  15 ? etc

I take this from the Stream Clean Fx on the CSB

I would not put soap in there, myself.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Instant pot to the rescue again! We just got a new puppy and were called halfway thru dinner being done. No problem with IP ;)

Chicken with dry rub into the pot , whole garlic with the tops cut off and a splash of olive oil and salt, whole butternut squash. Manual high 21 minutes with 10 plus minutes natural pressure release. 

Sauced chicken and broiled, added a few carrots to IP with the chicken broth 1 minute manual high pressure. Mashed butternut squash with carrots and the end of the caramelized onion jam:

13654148_10153672162987703_8399930027902817647_n.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

Instant pot to the rescue again! We just got a new puppy and were called halfway thru dinner being done. No problem with IP ;)

Chicken with dry rub into the pot , whole garlic with the tops cut off and a splash of olive oil and salt, whole butternut squash. Manual high 21 minutes with 10 plus minutes natural pressure release. 

Sauced chicken and broiled, added a few carrots to IP with the chicken broth 1 minute manual high pressure. Mashed butternut squash with carrots and the end of the caramelized onion jam:

Question -- and that looks tremendous, by the way. Did you just put your chicken in without any liquid, other than the olive oil?

What kind of dry rub?

Intrigued by this.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Question -- and that looks tremendous, by the way. Did you just put your chicken in without any liquid, other than the olive oil?

What kind of dry rub?

Intrigued by this.

Me too. A whole, unpeeled butternut squash?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Me too. A whole, unpeeled butternut squash?

Oh I should have mentioned I added 1 cup of water! Normally I brown the chicken too but I was feeling lazy! For the rub I used Salt and Pepper and Paprika, finished under the broiler with BBQ Sauce...and yes Anna I put a whole unpeeled butternut squash on top of the chicken. This makes it VERY SOFT so its great for a puree or to use in soup. 

• Like 3

Dinner for one tonite: Whole chicken with fresh basil leaves stuffed under the skin, salt, pepper and sumac, rubbed with olive oil. Browned in the IP, add garlic bulbs and 1 cup of water. Manual High Pressure for 25 minutes and 10 minutes Natural pressure release.

Herb pesto in the Magic Bullet: equal parts basil, mint and parsley, small handful of walnuts, 2 cloves of garlic, salt and olive oil to desired consistency and half the juice of a lemon.

Tastes great with the chicken!

13669595_10153681659432703_5593673739021975399_n.jpg

13892070_10153681580007703_4236515110876900918_n.jpg

• Like 9

Everything in the fridge Chicken plus Noodle Soup:
Instant Pot Chicken stock
and the broth left over from cooking the chicken last night...gel
Saute onion, celery and carrot 3 inches of cubed chorizo sausage
Add above mentioned Stocks
And picked chicken meat from bones
2 Handfuls of chopped kale
1 cup of peas
1 cup of corn
1/3 cup dried shitake mushrooms
1/2 lemon squeezed
Salt and Pepper and bay leaf
1 cup of small tube noodles
Cook on manual high for 6 minutes , 10 min natural pressure release!
This is so good on this stormy night!

13879319_10153684184917703_1860099702658765159_n.jpg

• Like 9

@Mmmpomps, do you use your IP more in the manual mode than in programmed settings, or is that a coincidence of the last few posts?  I'm curious about how your usage patterns have evolved, since I'm just now starting down the track.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

@Mmmpomps, do you use your IP more in the manual mode than in programmed settings, or is that a coincidence of the last few posts?  I'm curious about how your usage patterns have evolved, since I'm just now starting down the track.

Smithy manual is my preference. I've tried the pre-set buttons a few times but just prefer to set it on manual and adjust the pressure and time. I find the times for even types of beans vary so much....

• Like 2

except for Soup, I use manual.

however sometimes its 10 minute release, some times its natural release.

nice upgrade for their software  ( v.3 ? ) is they could add this sort of feature.  it would have to beep at the end of 10 minutes etc

• Like 2

My instant pot got a workout on Sunday!

First off, ricotta. First time, and I'd definitely do this again.

IMG_7154 (640x480).jpg

Then caramelised onions from the Serious Eats recipe we've been discussing. I did double quantities and upped the baking soda. Don't do this - the taste is noticeable straight, although it's fine stirred into other dishes in small quantities. I may freeze this in ice cube sized portions, debating.

IMG_7156 (640x480).jpg

Was impressed at the amount of liquid it generated at the end!

Finally, quick stock from the carcass of the lobster I am about to post in the dinner thread.

I guess I need to figure out what I can do with the whey from the ricotta. It's lurking in the fridge at the moment....

• Like 3

Tere,  I wonder if you could use it for pancakes?  I do that with the whey from my yogurt and it makes really, really, good pancakes.

Edited by ElsieD
auto spell changed tere to tree (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tere said:

My instant pot got a workout on Sunday!

First off, ricotta. First time, and I'd definitely do this again.

IMG_7154 (640x480).jpg

Then caramelised onions from the Serious Eats recipe we've been discussing. I did double quantities and upped the baking soda. Don't do this - the taste is noticeable straight, although it's fine stirred into other dishes in small quantities. I may freeze this in ice cube sized portions, debating.

IMG_7156 (640x480).jpg

Was impressed at the amount of liquid it generated at the end!

Finally, quick stock from the carcass of the lobster I am about to post in the dinner thread.

I guess I need to figure out what I can do with the whey from the ricotta. It's lurking in the fridge at the moment....

This looks great! Can you share your ricotta recipe?  Thanks for the tip on the onions. Did you find it to be more of an onion jam?  I wonder what it would be like to add bacon to it.....

Steak in the Instant Pot...heh not really!!! We grilled the steak last night and tonite I made a super fast stacked dinner in the IP:

Saute quickly a layer of baby spuds in Olive oil and salt *in the pot*

Put the trivet on top of the spuds

Add four eggs
Wrap leftover steak in tinfoil put that on the trivet too
Add a scant cup of water or broth
Manual High Pressure for 4 minutes with a quick release
Open up and take out the eggs and plop them in cold water
Add a few good handfuls of frozen green beans down with the spuds
Close the lid and put it on warm
Wait for the Man to get home about twentyish minutes later
Fast , yummy dinner
To be honest I prefer my steak cold with flakey salt but this was good and the spuds were soft and creamy! Beans were just barely cooked and not a soggy, hot mess :)
Side is a 70's Salad , iceberg wedge with Thousand Island
Dinner including prep...thirty minutes or so...
OH the eggs are for lunch tomorrow!

13876575_10153689373092703_7791488044723331569_n.jpg

• Like 9

Last nights dinner:
Grilled Romaine lettuce, olive oil, salt, lemon juice and parm cheese 
Grilled Steak
Instant Pot asparagus
1 cup of water put the asparagus on the trivet add salt
Manual high pressure for 0 minutes Quick release

13686727_10153687077997703_9144131379886326649_n.jpg

• Like 7

IP Potatoes :

Ive been doing 7 min with a 10 minutes release for both cut up russets and red bliss for potato salad.  works fine.

Its a bit cooler here so I though some Mashed with meatloaf etc

its been a while for mash in the IP due to summer heat

so I looked it up in "Hip" and the book suggested :  13 - 15 , 10 minute release.

perhaps potato salad spuds are substantially firmer ?

what's your take on this difference.

many thanks