• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

You wouldn't think after Tuesday in the Sports bar we could full even lower for our lunch choice. However, we had some limitations to overcome in order to get anything to eat at all. We had Kerry's daughter with us and hence had the handicapped van and Kira's wheelchair to consider. One needs a great deal of space for the van in order for the ramp to be deployable and one needs a wheelchair accessible restaurant. Those are our excuses for how we ended up in Red Lobster yesterday.

image.jpg

Calamari with broccoli

image.jpg

Mussels for Kerry

image.jpg

Shrimp linguine Alfredo for me

image.jpg

A baked potato for the youngster to supplement the food her mom carried with her. In the end it wasn't needed and went home for her dinner.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well we had lunch for the third time this week. You might think third time lucky but you'd be wrong! Our first choice for a restaurant was the Cafe Havana in Oakville, however, after we scouted it quickly, we realized it was not particularly handicapped friendly. So we set off for our second choice the Cuban's Restaurant also in Oakville. It was closed! Right beside it was a favourite pub, The Coach and Four, where the food is usually exceptionally good.

We were amused to discover that the Red Hat Society, seen here behind Kira, was enjoying lunch at the Coach and Four.

image.jpg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Society

We ordered the calamari blossom

image.jpg

And a platter of Irish nachos.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

In general, I like the red hat ladies. I know most of the local group, they're good customers where I work and we appreciate it, but their monthly meeting of the hats is never looked forward to. A huge group of them arrives ~30 - 35 minutes before lunch rush, which would be great, plenty of time to get their food out before the rush hits, but they sit there and talk until the lunch crowd starts filling the place. As soon as people start coming in the door, they suddenly become business like and all order quickly... and I'm thrown in the hole right off the hop for the lunch rush. I still like them but that tends to get a grumble or three out of me. I've had the waitresses try to politely guide them into ordering sooner but they'll have none of it.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

In general, I like the red hat ladies. I know most of the local group, they're good customers where I work and we appreciate it, but their monthly meeting of the hats is never looked forward to. A huge group of them arrives ~30 - 35 minutes before lunch rush, which would be great, plenty of time to get their food out before the rush hits, but they sit there and talk until the lunch crowd starts filling the place. As soon as people start coming in the door, they suddenly become business like and all order quickly... and I'm thrown in the hole right off the hop for the lunch rush. I still like them but that tends to get a grumble or three out of me. I've had the waitresses try to politely guide them into ordering sooner but they'll have none of it.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive never heard of Irish nachos.

looks good  

is it potato wedges fried then the toppings ?  or potato chips ( crisps )

it was not clear from your preamble, but Im hoping the calamari was good.

certainly looks that way.

Ive never heard of Irish nachos.

looks good  

is it potato wedges fried then the toppings ?  or potato chips ( crisps )

it was not clear from your preamble, but Im hoping the calamari was good.

certainly looks that way.

Yes. They are homemade potato crisps. The calamari was okay neither the worst and certainly not the best we've known.

My 2004 eG Blog

Tri2cook - Would it be possible (if they come to your establishment on a regular basis) to perhaps ask them to order in advance of arrival/the day? They are probably very familiar with the menu but if they can't recall it maybe you could email them a copy or provide a photocopied one to whoever might be designated the group's leader?

I have definitely heard of the Red Hat Society - just didn't realize there were still 'chapters' in existence.

The food looks wonderful, Anna - do hope it lived up to how nice it looks in your pictures. And thanks for including Kira - my how she has grown! What a lovely young lady. :rolleyes:

Yesterday we were back to just Kerry and I for lunch which made parking and restaurant choice much easier. We returned to Coconut Thai. This restaurant suffered considerable damage in a fire and this is the first time we have been back since it re-opened.

image.jpg

A beer for me. Kerry stuck with water

image.jpg

Two appetizers. Calamari, of course and corn fritters.

image.jpg

We shared a duck curry.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Tri2cook - Would it be possible (if they come to your establishment on a regular basis) to perhaps ask them to order in advance of arrival/the day? They are probably very familiar with the menu but if they can't recall it maybe you could email them a copy or provide a photocopied one to whoever might be designated the group's leader?

I have definitely heard of the Red Hat Society - just didn't realize there were still 'chapters' in existence.

The food looks wonderful, Anna - do hope it lived up to how nice it looks in your pictures. And thanks for including Kira - my how she has grown! What a lovely young lady. :rolleyes:

Red Hats are big in my part of the world. Lots of retirement communities.  I will turn around and leave if I enter a restaurant with a load of them and no food on their table.  They are all delightful old grannies individually, but en masse they are a plague of slow moving locusts.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So we both had the same thing on our mind for lunch on Wednesday. It just had to be pho!

image.jpg

The downscale version of tea in a simple stainless steel pot which had seen better days.

image.jpg

Some deep-fried Vietnamese rolls. as we know the calamari is not up to snuff.

image.jpg

Beef and chicken for Kerry

image.jpg

Rare and well done beef for me.

image.jpg

And the usual garnishes.

After lunch we popped in to a nearby Asian store and Kerry spotted this unique storage space for Durian.

image.jpg

They are on top of the box on the roof. A little hard to spot perhaps.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

At what temperature does durian freeze? Does that adversely affect its eating properties? I'd think it would help cut down on volatile compounds. :biggrin:

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

At what temperature does durian freeze? Does that adversely affect its eating properties? I'd think it would help cut down on volatile compounds. :biggrin:

At our local Asia Mart, they are sold frozen, and yes it does affect the smell. I pick up one each time I go trying to decide if this will be the time I buy one. In their frozen state, they smell , to me, vaguely like a strong cheese, milder than Morbier, certainly not as strong as Limburger. Really on indefinable scent, Huiray, if you have smelled them , help me out here! :-)

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

We were determined to find a new place for lunch today not only because we needed to change because we thought you all needed a change! And so only returned to the Persian restaurant, Rayhoon, which had failed to open on our last visit. We felt a little like déjà vu as it was 11:45 and the restaurant was still not open. Kerry had the brilliant idea to call them on the phone. The first attempt landed her in voicemail but the second attempt brought her a live person and an apology that featured a car that wouldn't start. Given the temperatures here in the last few days one totally understands a car that refuses to start. The warm welcome we got from our server helped no end to drive away any chiliness in our attitude.

I completely trusted that I would find their menu on the web and made no attempt therefore to memorize the names of the dishes we enjoyed,

image.jpg

Kerry ordered tea

image.jpg

I had a Heineken. And before you all become horrified that I'm consulting my iPhone both Kerry and I were trying to answer a question by consulting Google!

image.jpg

A trio of dips two of which were yogurt-based and one egg plant-based.

image.jpg

Flatbread to accompany the dips.

image.jpg

A braised lamb shank accompanied by a saffron tinged rice dish

image.jpg

Another rice dish which included dates, walnuts, lentils and broad beans.

In addition to salt and pepper shakers on the table was a shaker of sumac.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks wonderful! How was the second rice dish (with lentils, walnuts, dates and broad beans) served: hot, warm or cool? Did it have a sauce or dressing on it? The rice looks as though it may have had saffron.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Kerry found the website

click

So the second rice dish is the Addas polo.

It was served hot but there was no sauce with it.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected link (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry found the website

click

So the second rice dish is the Addas polo.

It was served hot but there was no sauce with it.

Actually I think it had that yogurt sauce with it that you can see in the picture. Had the leftovers for dinner tonight at work - tasty - and smelled so good! Edited by Smithy
Corrected link (log)

On Wednesday despite the possibility of a traffic gridlock due to a blown transformer we headed back towards Burlington to visit the Dutch store. I was in search of beef stew flavored potato chips as mentioned on another topic, some nasi goreng seasoning and some more of the Dutch potato spice called aardappel spice. No joy on the potato chips but I did get everything else. Since we were in Burlington we chose to have lunch at Thai Avenue click

image.jpg

Kerry asked for ginger tea

image.jpg

And I had a Vietnamese coffee

image.jpg

Appetizer was shrimp on sugarcane

image.jpg

Kerry had one of the buns (salad)

image.jpg

image.jpg

And I had the beef pho.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

The shrimp on sugar cane looks mighty tasty.  I love the lines of the Vietnamese coffee cup!  Was it easy to manage?  I generally like a fully looped handle instead of an open handle like that, but it looks cool.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The shrimp on sugar cane looks mighty tasty.  I love the lines of the Vietnamese coffee cup!  Was it easy to manage?  I generally like a fully looped handle instead of an open handle like that, but it looks cool.

Tried really, really hard to simply report what we ate and drank without any other judgment in accordance with our decision not to review the restaurants. Nevertheless I have to tell you the shrimp was passable although obviously frozen as the center was barely warm, the cup was manageable, the coffee considerably less so.

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday we were trying to fit a number of activities into a fairly short time span including haircuts. It look like lunch was going to be a challenge no matter what. So we stopped in here grabbed two bahn mi.

image.jpg

Kerry's with cilantro, mine without.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday Kerry and I were on a mission which took us in the direction of Baker's Warehouse and Paramount Fine Foods. Paramount specializes in middle eastern food.

image.jpg

Freshly baked pita bread with a very smoky eggplant dip.

image.jpg

Labneh.

image.jpg

Platter of grilled meats.

image.jpg

We added a skewer of grilled lamb.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Today Kerry and I headed out again to enjoy our once a week socialialization and lunch. We had no errands to complete so we visited two thrift stores and arrived at Kenzo Ramen House long before the lunchtime crowd.

The menu has changed since we were last there but I cannot seem to find it on their website. They appear to be in the process of updating it.

image.jpg

Tea. I love these cups.

image.jpg

Pork Gyoza

image.jpg

Kerry's bowl of Ramen.

image.jpg

This is my bowl. It included black garlic sauce.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog