• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

So today Kerry Beal and I headed south of the border to do some shopping in Buffalo. As usual we met up with member patris who makes it her mission to find a restaurant where we can all have lunch. This time she led us to Chennai Express ( South Indian cuisine).

image.jpg

The three of us more or less shared the Chennai Sampler: a samosa, a spring roll, an idly, vegetable pakora and chicken pakora.

image.jpg

I ordered the goat curry.

image.jpg

Kerry ordered the lamb biryani. Apologies for the blurred photograph.

image.jpg

And patris ordered a cheese and potato dosa.

image.jpg

We also ordered onion paratha and gobi paratha.

Our server was extremely helpful in explaining what was on each plate and how best to go about eating each dish.

The eating area is very small and is separated from the kitchen by only a curtain. By the time we left I was a quivering wreck from hearing all of the metal serving dishes periodically hitting the floor with ear-splitting crashes. Not sure what was going on there. Dishwasher having a bad day perhaps? It is never, ever dull when patris finds us another eating spot in Buffalo!

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So preparatory to heading north haircuts and last-minute grocery shopping found Us was out and about again today. Much closer to home this time though.

A trip to Denninger's international Foods for a few more charcuterie items offered a chance for a fast lunch.

image.jpg

Kerry had a sausage on a bun with all the appropriate toppings.

image.jpg

We shared an order of "gourmet" poutine.

image.jpg

And I had a chicken schnitzel.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've never had the pleasure of eating poutine.  What makes this one gourmet?

Absolutely nothing! 

I've have had what could probably be called 'gourmet poutine' at Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal - that one had Fois gras on it - they also do one with duck if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 3

One of our local restaurants used to duck confit poutine which they served as an appetizer.  Absolutely delicious but the portion size of enormous.  I was glad that was all I ordered.  Must have been a whole duck leg on it.

• Like 2

Today Kerry Beal and I decided to try our luck at the highly recommended Chuck's burger bar in Hamilton.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Kerry's beef burger with poutinized fries.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My lamb burger with plain fries.

And the less said about either one the better. I know we promised not to review but really.....

The place had two things to recommend it -- a large selection of (sort of) craft beers (I wasn't in the mood) and the serving plates which were white enamel butcher trays.

I don't know if Peruvian food interests you but Culantro in Hamilton looks pretty good. http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/you-gotta-eat-here/video/episode/geneva-crepe-bistro-rebar-culantro/video.html?v=469683779991

I don't know if Peruvian food interests you but Culantro in Hamilton looks pretty good. http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/you-gotta-eat-here/video/episode/geneva-crepe-bistro-rebar-culantro/video.html?v=469683779991

Our one experience with Peruvian food was not especially impressive. We ate at a restaurant in Oakville called Machu Pichu and the food was steam table warmed and not very interesting at all. However we are nothing if not adventurous and will certainly add your suggestion to our list of places to lunch. Thank you.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Our one experience with Peruvian food was not especially impressive. We ate at a restaurant in Oakville called Machu Pichu and the food was steam table warmed and not very interesting at all. However we are nothing if not adventurous and will certainly add your suggestion to our list of places to lunch. Thank you.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/lomo-saltado/16226/  What caught my attention was the Peruvian poutine! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well it has been quite a while since these two ladies lunched! Our adventures on Manitoulin Island are not conducive to lunches for ladies or anyone else for that matter! Today we were back into the old routine followed up on demiglace's suggestion of Peruvian food at Culantro in Hamilton. It was an interesting experience in which I got the distinct impression that our server was making up the rules as he went along. Simple menu offered few choices beef or chicken. Each dish suggested it came witnh one or more sides but when we attempted to order besides they suddenly became not available at lunchtime until a change occurred and one of them became available. However we are completely adaptable and just roll with the dice.

image.jpg

While Kerry parked the car I enjoyed an Inca Blu which was described as bottled purple corn juice. I forgot to take a photograph so you only see it as I had almost finished the glass. Had I known I might have ordered a beer. Beer was not on the menu but written on the board above the pass...too late!

image.jpg

First up roasted corn presented just as you see it here.

image.jpg

Then empanadas which we shared-- one chicken and one beef. In the center is one of the sides which is quinoa salad with a lime dressing.

image.jpg

Lomo Saltado. Stirfried skirt steak, red onions, peppers, tomatoes hand cut fries finished with red wine and soy sauce. And more quinoa salad (A sous-vide set up would not be amiss here.) We shared this dish.

And we also shared

image.jpg

Pollo a la brasa -- marinated and spit-roasted quarter chicken served with two aji sauces and fried Yucca. The chicken looked very dry but was in fact quite acceptable.

Edited to add this photograph of the cut empanadas to show you the inside

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Sooooooooooooo glad the Lunch Ladies are Back.

just so.

Thank you. So nice to know we were missed. We are trying hard to stretch our horizons to keep things interesting and we did notice a number of restaurants that we have yet to try in Hamilton today.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Food looks really good.  

LOL they could use a few tips on presentation for that corn though......even a bowl would be better  :raz:

My thought too!  Cute little Peruvian bowls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have been somewhat remiss in posting our lunches.

Although we try hard not to become boring by returning again and again to the same places we do need a pho fix once in a while. Last week was it for pho especially since we were heading in that direction.

image.jpg

Deep fried Vietnamese rolls.

image.jpg

The usual chicken and beef for Kerry.

image.jpg

The usual rare and well done beef for me. Mine is already dressed.

I also had an iced Vietnamese coffee. Kerry as usual had tea.

Then this week I heard the siren call of Naan bread so we headed back to our usual place for some Indian food. We were a little startled when we went inside to discover that they had expanded since the last time we were there. The wall between the restaurant and the business next-door had been taken down and the dining room considerably enlarged.

I had a Kingfisher beer to start while Kerry enjoyed some chai.

Kerry ordered a platter from the lunch menu

image.jpg

image.jpg

While I opted for the non-vegetarian Thali.

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

What is the reddish item at the bottom of the last photo?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

What is the reddish item at the bottom of the last photo?

That is a tandoori chicken thigh.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Today I had the pleasure of having a Dim Sum lunch in Toronto with Franci and her lovely family at Crown Princess Fine Dining.

No little carts at this establishment - instead the order is committed to paper and circled when it is presented to the table.

DSCN5890.jpg

Lovely savoury bits of fried octopus tentacles in a birds nest

DSCN5891.jpg

Spare ribs with black bean sauce

DSCN5892.jpg

Squid in curry sauce

DSCN5893.jpg

Steamed buns

DSCN5894.jpg

Rice rolls

DSCN5895.jpg

Har gow

DSCN5896.jpg

Tripe

DSCN5897.jpg

Lotus leaf sticky rice

DSCN5898.jpg

Close up tripe

DSCN5899.jpg

Fried taro mushroom stuffed dumplings

I neglected to take a picture of the mango pudding in carp shape or the little coconut jellied puddings shaped like flowers.

• Like 13

I hope that dim sum spread (which looks outstanding and very 'fresh') was as delicious as it looks. My mouth was watering as I looked at the pictures. I do hope you and Anna take us there again some time but how wonderful that Franci and family were able to share it with you.

• Like 1

How cool!  I bet you guys had such a good time :)  And the food looks good too ;)

And I was invited and had to decline! I am praying for a second chance to meet FrancI.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So today Kerry Beal and I spent a delightful morning (and a fair chunk of change) exploring a Korean supermarket in Mississauga. We were very close to our favorite Ramen shop (Kenzo) and so I'm afraid lunch was a repeat performance once again. Afraid only that we may be boring you because lunch was good!

image.jpg

Gyoza (we couldn't finish all of them so two of them went home with Kerry for Kira). Can anyone remember the name of the lacy stuff that forms when you make these and helps stick them together into a single unit?

image.jpg

Ramen with black garlic sauce for me.

image.jpg

King shoyu ramen for Kerry.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog