• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

Great stuff, as usual. Was that creamy bowlful at Paramount really labneh? It looked more like hummus to me. What was the pool of liquid inside? Olive oil?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Great stuff, as usual. Was that creamy bowlful at Paramount really labneh? It looked more like hummus to me. What was the pool of liquid inside? Olive oil?

It was indeed the labneh, olive oil on top - the only hummus we had was in two small cups on the grilled meat plates - there was also garlic sauce on the mixed grill.  

• Like 1

Great lunches, ladies!

Question: What are the white disks with the attractive salmon-colored spirals on top of your ramen bowls?

I've tried to Google this to no avail before after seeing them in your posts.

Today it seems my curiosity has overwhelmed my instinct to not expose my ignorance.  :blush:  :smile:

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Great lunches, ladies!

Question: What are the white disks with the attractive salmon-colored spirals on top of your ramen bowls?

I've tried to Google this to no avail before after seeing them in your posts.

Today it seems my curiosity has overwhelmed my instinct to not expose my ignorance.  :blush:  :smile:

Kamaboko. Japanese fish cake.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks Anna.

Now that I have its name, I can find it on line. The images on Google are a testament to the artistry that is so prevalent in Japanese cuisine. There are many Hello Kitties in the cross sections of the slices, and a Snoopy. There are even some that are sliced and rolled into roses that look like cake decorations, and a rainbow of colors. Very interesting.

I like surimi, so I'll be seeking these out to try.

> ^ . . ^ <

just tried the local new place for the second time in a month ... SIGH ...

the jambalaya was ok.....would have liked to have an idea of the cost, though.

today the "fish and chips" were 4 thin pieces of white fish fried with potato chips.  pointed out to the server those were crisps NOT chips and he kindly said that the owner put his own spin on it but he would get me some fries to take home(didn't touch the "chips" because I don't care for them).  No coleslaw ?????

Guess I have to be even more vigilant IF I go there again.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

just tried the local new place for the second time in a month ... SIGH ...

the jambalaya was ok.....would have liked to have an idea of the cost, though.

today the "fish and chips" were 4 thin pieces of white fish fried with potato chips.  pointed out to the server those were crisps NOT chips and he kindly said that the owner put his own spin on it but he would get me some fries to take home(didn't touch the "chips" because I don't care for them).  No coleslaw ?????

Guess I have to be even more vigilant IF I go there again.

Like you we can be disappointed. Since we agreed that we would not review restaurants we usually just report what we ate. Even when the food and service is atrocious we try to see through it as an experience that we can laugh about later. We certainly enjoy good food and good service but see this weekly lunch meeting for something much more than an opportunity to refuel our physical being. We know that occasionally we amuse those who read about our lunches and that along with our opportunity to catch up with each other's lives rates much higher than the quality of either the food or the service. Sorry you had a bad experience but hope you can see it through our rose-coloured glasses!

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Like you we can be disappointed. Since we agreed that we would not review restaurants we usually just report what we ate. Even when the food and service is atrocious we try to see through it as an experience that we can laugh about later. We certainly enjoy good food and good service but see this weekly lunch meeting for something much more than an opportunity to refuel our physical being. We know that occasionally we amuse those who read about our lunches and that along with our opportunity to catch up with each other's lives rates much higher than the quality of either the food or the service. Sorry you had a bad experience but hope you can see it through our rose-coloured glasses!

sorry Anna...

the server was a cute guy with a little bit of a scruffy face

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

sorry Anna...

the server was a cute guy with a little bit of a scruffy face

suzilightning,

Not at all sure why you are apologizing. But I love the idea of a cute guy with a scruffy face!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So Kerry Beal is travelling to France next month accompaning a group of student chocolatiers who will be taking a master class at Valrhona. Those who travel know the importance of taking clothing that can be easily packed, quickly rinsed out if needed and not inclined to hang onto food stains. All that to explain why we were in Woodbridge yesterday! There is a clothing outlet there which carries the perfect clothing for travel so we spent the morning clothes shopping and had spotted a place for lunch. Shitake Sushi and Thai does not appear to have a website which is most peculiar since they use iPads for their menus and the decor seem particularly technologically innovative.

image.jpg

After hours of clothes shopping (one of my least favourite activities) a long, cold beer went down far too well! Kerry more sensibly enjoyed tea.

image.jpg

Described as barbecued asparagus this was in fact and asparagus spear wrapped in bacon and was the tastiest dish of the meal.

image.jpg

Pork Tonkatsu

image.jpg

Chicken wings

image.jpg

Scallops

image.jpg

Onion "sushi". This was batted, fried onion ring.

image.jpg

Listed as Japanese pizza this was some sort of rice cake topped with among other things smoked eel.

image.jpg

Tempura squid.

image.jpg

Dragon roll and I can't recall the name of the second one.

image.jpg

Shrimp tempura.

image.jpg

Kabocha squash tempura.

image.jpg

A salad of some sort that contained crabmeat.

image.jpg

This struck us as a really odd sign in a restaurant that supposedly serves Japanese and Thai food. Lamb is not something one traditionally think so as hugely popular in either cuisine.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I like the look of that food, especially the barbecued asparagus.  That looks like something I could do!  Did you come across anything new that you want to try making at home?  I know you've been doing a lot of Japanese cooking of late.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I like the look of that food, especially the barbecued asparagus.  That looks like something I could do!  Did you come across anything new that you want to try making at home?  I know you've been doing a lot of Japanese cooking of late.

Smithy,

How do I answer you diplomatically? How about I tell you that looks are not everything? Even my least successful attempt at Japanese food ....

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

So yesterday we headed down to Buffalo, New York for a little retail therapy and lunch with member, patris. As always patris researched spots for lunch and chose something she knew we would find delightful. The restaurant she took us to served Burmese and Thai food.

click

Kerry ordered a Thai milk tea

image.jpg

I opted for sake

image.jpg

And patris stuck with water

image.jpg

(photograph to be polite and because it is New York water not Canadian water)

image.jpg

Fried squid rings, of course

image.jpg

image.jpg

patris ordered two rolls from the black rice menu, The garden role and the mango roll I believe.

image.jpg

Kerry ordered the Thai box lunch with mango salad and chicken curry.

image.jpg

I chose the Burmese box lunch with tea leaf salad and Burmese beef curry.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

On Tuesday Kerry and I returned to Bahn Thai.

image.jpg

Kerry had ginger tea and I just had water.

image.jpg

Crispy squid of course.

image.jpg

Thai beef salad for Kerry.

image.jpg

Seafood soup for me.

Since Kerry was running a bit late and needed to be at work she ordered takeout Tom Kha.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

This was one of those rare weeks when we were out for lunch two days in a row. We visited the T&T Asian supermarket in Mississauga and discovered a new restaurant. We were feeling quite adventurous and decided on the shared beef course

image.jpg

You will see mention hear of a dish wrapped in caul fat which was like a siren call for both of us. Unfortunately when we went to place our order with the server we were told this was no longer was being served. Fear of fat by patrons and led to its demise. What is shame! Nevertheless we decided to go with what remained

Here are the components of the hot pot:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The next three dishes arrived on single plate

image.jpg

Then the salad.

image.jpg

And finally the congee

image.jpg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

You will see mention hear of a dish wrapped in caul fat which was like a siren call for both of us. Unfortunately when we went to place our order with the server we were told this was no longer was being served. Fear of fat by patrons and led to its demise. What is shame! Nevertheless we decided to go with what remained

Once met the owner/chef of a Mexican restaurant which didn't last long in Peterborough, Ontario, and asked him why Mexican restaurants didn't offer pork on their menu in this area.  He said pretty much the same thing.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

It felt like months since Kerry and I had lunched together! She had been off in France and Portugal (if you haven't already read about that fabulous trip do check it out. Today we headed back to Sakai in Burlington for Korean/Japanese fusion food.

image.jpg

Salad

image.jpg

Miso soup

image.jpg

Shrimp tempura lunch box for Kerry

image.jpg

Spicy pork stir-fry for me

image.jpg

Tiny bowl of fruit for each of us..

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Tiny bowl of fruit for each of us..

They almost covered most of the bottom of the bowl!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

They almost covered most of the bottom of the bowl!

I know I do not have to tell you that melons in April in Ontario leave something to be desired - like taste. And any more than this would have likely resulted in one or more broken teeth.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I know I do not have to tell you that melons in April in Ontario leave something to be desired - like taste. And any more than this would have likely resulted in one or more broken teeth.

Yep... "leave something to be desired" is being very generous.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So twice a year, usually in May and November, Kerry Beal and I head into Toronto and one of the very old buildings belonging to the University of Toronto. Here Kerry "stars" in three videos with actors. These videos are used to train those who will examine graduating doctors. I always thought it was an altruistic act but really and truly it's just another way for the Ladies who Lunch to get some food!

The food is catered, of course.

When we arrived there were still some breakfast offerings, granola, yogurt, fruit etc. and fresh coffee and juices. Sometime between 11 and noon the caterer returns and the U of T staff set up the lunch buffet. Before going off to make videos Kerry had told the staff that we would be taking pictures of lunch. To say they were amused would be an understatement!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My plate. I am no fan of avocado but there was so little on it that I didn't mind.

image.jpg

Kerry's plate

Neither of us opted for dessert.

There were gluten-free sandwich options that the staff pointed out to me but I told them that I need my glutes at lunchtime.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

WoW  lucky you'z   

did they have free parking ?  ( slow hot day here )

what were the Wraps ?  what were they wrapped in ?   like those old-time party things you pulled at

I like the little signs. 

What was the Bill for ? pic # 4

nice, very nice.

I am a little out of order here. Yesterday we returned to

Lemongrass

image.jpg

Ginger tea for Kerry

image.jpg

A Thai beer for me

image.jpg

Appetizer platter with spring rolls, shrimp rolls, sweet mango rolls, crispy wontons and spicy mango salad. There were two dipping sauces peanut and sweet and sour.

image.jpg

We shared pan fried egg noodles with shrimp

image.jpg

And crispy chicken breast with peanut sauce

As usual there was far too much food but fortunately Kerry was heading off to work and the leftovers made a fine dinner for her.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

WoW lucky you'z

did they have free parking ? ( slow hot day here )

what were the Wraps ? what were they wrapped in ? like those old-time party things you pulled at

I like the little signs.

What was the Bill for ? pic # 4

nice, very nice.

I can't tell you about parking or the bill on the table as I don't worry my pretty little head about financial things. The wraps were over wrapped in black paper.

Edited to change reps back to wraps.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog