• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little slow posting this week. On Wednesday Kerry and I thought we would like to eat at a new Persian restaurant in the Village Square in Burlington. It was past their posted opening time and there appeared to be some activities going on inside. But it was a freezing cold day and we were not prepared to wait in the cold until they opened the doors. Hence we ended up paying a repeat visit to Mikado.

image.jpg

Kirin for me

image.jpg

Ginger tea for Kerry

image.jpg

Miso soup and salad

image.jpg

Calamari

image.jpg

Korean dolsot bibimbap for Kerry

image.jpg

Tendon for me

image.jpg

And the always delightful sweet bite. One dish, two tiny forks and a snow white, icy cold portion of apple.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think we are doing a little too much lunching! I am blaming it on the basement clean out. On Monday we ate at the Royal Tandoor restaurant (www.royaltandoor.com) in Burlington.

image.jpg

Chai tea for Kerry. I just had water this time.

image.jpg

Onion bhaji

image.jpg

Amazingly tender naan.

image.jpg

Haryali chicken served on a sizzle platter and still steaming

image.jpg

Lamb korma

image.jpg

Basmati rice

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today yet another trip to the basement for another load of stuff that needed to be placed elsewhere and of course we needed to refuel. This time we returned to a Thai restaurant the name of which completely escapes me.

No photos but Kerry had ginger tea and I had Thai iced coffee.

We ordered an appetizer plate for two:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It arrived as you may notice with only one shrimp. It is hard to share one shrimp so when the server returned with another dish Kerry pointed out this dreadful error on the part of the kitchen!

image.jpg

It was quickly rectified and peace reigned once more.

Kerry had coconut soup

image.jpg

And I had a beef salad.

image.jpg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Today we had our last lunch before Christmas. We had business to conduct in Toronto so we found our way to Pho Phuong (1603 Dundas St., West, Toronto). I should have taken a take-out menu as this place does not have a web presence but I will try my best to tell you what we enjoyed.

Kerry had Chinese tea of course and I enjoyed a beer (Tsing Tao).

We shared a crispy pancake (bahn xeo)

image.jpg

image.jpg

And a Vietnamese noodle salad (bùn)

image.jpg

A rather restrained lunch for these two ladies!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Me too, Shelby. I live where there is nowhere to go to satisfy those cravings either - so I have to make my own and while it can be tasty, it is never as beautifully presented (when served for one) as it is in the pictures that Anna and Kerry take. I live vicariously though these lunch lady chronicles and I am so thankful they seem to like the same kind of foods I do (and no one can see me drooling as I look at the pictures).

• Like 1

We also have to make our own asian food.  Pot stickers are our favourites.  Just learned to use the waffle maker to cook our green onion cakes....brilliant (from Will it Waffle?)

My brother always makes Peking duck for Xmas.  

• Like 1

After taking care of a few errands in temperatures that hit 20 below we headed for the warmth of Sakai where the sushi chefs call out a welcome as you open the door.

image.jpg

Salad

image.jpg

Miso soup (hot and welcome!)

image.jpg

Takoyaki (for rotuts).

image.jpg

For Kerry the Wednesday lunch special. Korean bulgogi and Japanese tempura

image.jpg

For me chicken katsu.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Hard to believe it could have been even colder yesterday than when we last lunched but it was indeed. When lunchtime rolled around we wanted a warm venue with warm comforting food. Not hard to choose with those criteria. We headed straight for Bombay Grill!

image.jpg

For Kerry hot masala tea

image.jpg

For me a kingfisher beer.

image.jpg

Onion Bhaji of course. We dug into them before we remembered to take the photographs!

image.jpg

Reshmi tikka described as boneless cubes of chicken marinated in cream and mildly spiced and cooked in the tandoor.

image.jpg

Dhansak lamb described as well-spiced hot sweet and sour curry. And well spiced it surely was!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Naan bread and rice.

It looks like an awful lot of food for two people but this time our ordering was quite deliberate. Kerry would be going directly from lunch to work and would take our doggy bag with her for dinner.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Today our lunch was much more of an adventure than we had planned. After getting our haircut in Burlington we picked up Kerry's ailing chariot to drive it to the repair shop in Hamilton. We knew it would likely be there for a while so Kerry's husband followed in his vehicle. The plan was we would drop off the car and return to Burlington then pick up a rental car and decide where to go for lunch. Well apparently the universe had other things in store. A few kilometers from the repair shop and on a very busy Hamilton Street the car faltered and then quit smack bang in the middle of an intersection. Kerry's husband managed to push it so it was no longer blocking the intersection and Kerry called CAA. On a day when the temperature was hitting 30 below with the windchill we didn't expect to see a tow truck for some hours. But lo and behold. We had come to rest right opposite the famous Bedrock Bistro Café!

http://www.bedrockbistro.ca

Few of these old-fashioned diners still exist so it is an experience not to be missed to eat in one of them!

Our male guest went for the brontosaurus burger and finished every last crumb on his plate

image.jpg

Kerry ordered the chicken Caesar salad

image.jpg

And I had the Philly steak

image.jpg

It was far more food than I could possibly eat but it was a fun experience.

We stayed warm while keeping an eye on the car lest the tow truck show up and enjoyed a fun meal. Not too long after lunch the car was on its way to the repair shop and we were on our way home to pick up the rental car.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

We were a little surprised today when we returned to one of our favorite lunch spots Pomelo restaurant. Their exterior sign had been changed. When we brought it up with our server we were told the restaurant had changed hands. Somehow it didn't seem like a good thing.

image.jpg

Ginger tea for Kerry.

image.jpg

A Thai beer for me.

image.jpg

A shared plate of calamari.

image.jpg

Tom yum pho for Kerry

image.jpg

Beef pho for me

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

We were a little surprised today when we returned to one of our favorite lunch spots Pomelo restaurant. Their exterior sign had been changed. When we brought it up with our server we were told the restaurant had changed hands. Somehow it didn't seem like a good thing.

But...did it foretell good or bad things...?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Was the food as good as usual? 

Was the food as good as usual?

My 2004 eG Blog

Today Kerry and I wandered around the T&T (Asian) supermarket on Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga for about two hours. We were particularly on a mission to find some of the Ramen noodle brands recommended in another topic. We really did not have much success but did enjoy ourselves immensely. We were just too close to Kenzo Ramen to find anywhere else for lunch.

image.jpg

Takoyaki which Kerry was able to watch being made

image.jpg

King of Kings Ramen for Kerry

image.jpg

Tonkotsu Ramen for me

image.jpg

For rotuts another Japanese spice which along with white pepper was served with my Ramen. I found this to be much less tongue-tingling than the stuff I use at home!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

There's a reason we don't hang around sports bars and the food is only one of them! However, we attended the Toronto gift show to drool over the latest in kitchen gadgetry and the food there is even worse than one gets in a sports bar! After walking aisle after aisle of shiny new pots, pans and gewgaws we had worked up quite an appetite and so pulled in to the first place that looked like it had food.

image.jpg

Calamari

image.jpg

The platter of ribs, wings and boneless wings. Enough said.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog