• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

Im not familiar with tamagoyaki

wiki suggests it an egg item rolled up such as this :

https://www.google.com/search?q=tamagoyaki&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

however, what's the sauce ( red and white ) and the the other toppings ?

sorry they were out of calamari:sad:

Oops! takoyaki!

(They don't serve calamari but there was squid in my ramen!).

Edited to fix spelling and quote

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

OK

so ,,,, little Balls ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takoyaki

Exactly. They are quite delicious but challenging to eat. I find them a little too big for a single mouthful but if you bite into them you find yourself in a bit of a mess! Ultimately they are best enjoyed as a single mouthful so that you get all of the various textures on your palate at the same time. Somewhere there is a discussion of how to make these using a very specific pan.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot to post about our lunch on Tuesday. It was a cold and rainy day so warming Indian food seemed appropriate. We headed back to our favourite Bombay Grill.

image.jpeg

I enjoyed a beer while Kerry opted for a cup of chai.

We stared at the appetizer menu and were very tempted but for once listened to our heads instead of our stomachs!

image.jpeg

Lamb bhuna

image.jpeg

Chefs special mixed biryani

image.jpeg

And its accompanying cucumber raita

image.jpeg

Of course an order of naan.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

This Wednesday we returned to the Japanese restaurant in Oakville called Mye.  It has changed hands since the last time we visited I believe and whereas when it first opened it pretty much cornered the market on Japanese food in Oakville it now has any number of competitors. I will say no more.

No photograph but I did enjoy some warm sake with my meal.

We both chose the soup over the salad as our starter.  Winter can do that to you. 

image.jpeg

Deep fried squid of course

image.jpeg

Kerry  ordered the bento box lunch with grilled beef 

image.jpeg

And I chose the Tendon don buri. image.jpeg.fd8fd4f0d162f89a36ddbe346e864
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Scooted down to Buffalo today - hadn't planned to but the schedule opened up to allow it at the last minute. 

Met up with patris for a leisurely lunch at Betty's - a quirky Buffalo institution. They seem to do everything well - so deciding what to have was a challenge.

DSCN6122.jpg.b9dd41ec21c91f845a96dd3a7c3

I went for the grilled pork tenderloin salad - southwestern flavours.

DSCN6123.jpg.0db09fe73db5e66147c5c87e9d6DSCN6123.jpg.0db09fe73db5e66147c5c87e9d6

Patty opted for the breakfast burrito.

DSCN6125.jpg.7ccff442aad962df6646e000632

Keeping in mind this is December 16th in Buffalo NY - this is NOT normal!

• Like 7

My friend and I ate dinner at Betty's the night we drove to Niagara for the last chocolate conference there! We enjoyed it tremendously, and the location worked well for us.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Feel bad I didn't get in touch with you - but only decided to come down the day before and hadn't heard back from Patty yet. Figured it would cause too much stress!

K

I wouldn't have had the car available yesterday anyway, thanks to husband's mid-morning dentist appointment. Oh well. The way this winter's going, you'll have other opportunities!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

For many reasons but mostly because yesterday was the last  Saturday before Christmas and the only day Kerry and I could get together we decided to pick up a Chinese meal and enjoy it at my house.  We thus avoided  hordes of last-minute shoppers.

image.jpeg

Eggrolls. Both of these ended up in my freezer and will be breakfast one day soon!

image.jpeg 

Shrimp dumplings

image.jpeg

Dry garlic ribs

image.jpeg

House lo mein

image.jpeg

Dry-fried green beans with pork. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

So the ladies who lunch were joined by one gentleman, my second son. Once again for many reasons we opted to avoid going out this close to Christmas  and enjoyed a lunch around my coffee table.  

image.jpego

It was an amazing selection of cheese and sliced meats with condiments all artfully arranged as you see!  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

In our home that would be called a Ploughman's Lunch and we often serve it to friends who have allergies or intolerances or dislikes of certain things.  We would add vegetables and fruits to the mix, more breads,...whatever we can call up.  (Or, I guess, a Plowman's Lunch if you are American.)

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a very long time since the ladies who lunch lunched!   We did manage to get out yesterday and it seemed appropriate to seek up our favourite comfort food, pho. 

Chicken and beef for Kerry, rare and well done beef for me.  A generous plate of herbs, bean sprouts and lime wedges and tiny hot peppers as optional additions.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5ec10fec421799c05255cb

image.thumb.jpeg.cde5347ad96d3ec1b9ebeecimage.thumb.jpeg.932d5e102ef1c463e24bb89image.thumb.jpeg.2587bc4386405a54064f7a7

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

So yesterday Kerry Beal and I ventured into Toronto to do some errands prior to her trip to San Francisco today. I thought it might be interesting to try a new ramen joint.  There is a chain of them called Kinton Ramen  so we headed to the closest one. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cb75cf8405f7833c5812400

Perhaps this should have served as an omen.   Japanese tea in a teabag served in a mason jar.  (Or perhaps as soon as we opened the door and heard pop music being played at ear-drum busting volume.)

image.thumb.jpeg.c9b47f70d96cc9df6ed9114

Water for me served in a stainless steel tumbler.

image.thumb.jpeg.6ce0dd22999592d93521dd8

Interesting utensils. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a6f6cf59dab83f9760430bf

A shared appetizer of pork  and rice that tasted very much like canned tuna.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0fc7bda8c4690088c401a8

We both ordered the same pork Ramen.  It was not burning hot, the thick noodles we had asked for were replaced with thin noodles which were a little too toothsome.  All in all a very disappointing experience.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry it didn't delight you, @Anna N,

If you don't grab hold of your intrepid spirit, and branch out to new experiences, you can never discover that hidden gem.

At least that is my personal pep talk to myself after disappointing dining experiences that involve wasted time and money.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Sorry it didn't delight you, @Anna N,

If you don't grab hold of your intrepid spirit, and branch out to new experiences, you can never discover that hidden gem.

At least that is my personal pep talk to myself after disappointing dining experiences that involve wasted time and money.

I don't think that Anna lacks anything in the way of intrepid spirit - after all we were two old broads in a hipster ramen joint - sometimes the food you get is just crap!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a6f6cf59dab83f9760430bf

A shared appetizer of pork  and rice that tasted very much like canned tuna. 

It does kinda have that just-plopped-out-of-the-can Fancy Feast thing going on...

• Like 12

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.