• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Interesting about the gravy.  I've had Poutine twice in my life and both times it was excellent.  Wicked to the core, but so tasty.

We were eating lunch at a local fish place in Peterpatch where we always go and I decided to go for their Poutine.  Mirroring your experience, Anna N, the French fries were their usual and just fine...but the gravy was horrendous.  I couldn't believe anyone could serve such wretched gravy, but they do and apparently other folks like it.  Curious. :S

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Interesting about the gravy.  I've had Poutine twice in my life and both times it was excellent.  Wicked to the core, but so tasty.

We were eating lunch at a local fish place in Peterpatch where we always go and I decided to go for their Poutine.  Mirroring your experience, Anna N, the French fries were their usual and just fine...but the gravy was horrendous.  I couldn't believe anyone could serve such wretched gravy, but they do and apparently other folks like it.  Curious. :S

We briefly considered ordering the poutine but since it was made with mozzarella and not curds we decided against it.   Probably wise since I'll bet it was served with the same disgusting gravy. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So sad that they are using mozzarella in Ontario instead of curds! I won't eat them here for that very reason .. shocked me the first time I saw that. :(

But, speaking of poutine, I prefer it with a lighter (I.e. something resembling chicken) gravy I guess (maybe I had too much Swiss Chalet many years back). I always find the beef rendition to be sort of thick and gluey for some reason. Do they all just order from Sysco? (rhetorical - I am sure you don't know). At any rate, I am sorry the food was a disappointment for the most part because your first paragraph had me salivating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mea culpa!   I forgot to post our meal from last Wednesday. 

Sasso Was featured on a local news station recently and their pizza was praised to high heaven so I really wanted to give it a try. Since we were in Hamilton taking care of business I suggested that we give it a try.  

image.jpeg

Tea for Kerry,   When she says "lots of milk" she is not kidding.  Strangely our server seemed to have difficulty distinguishing between a kettle and a teapot. She said she would bring the kettle to the table. Kerry cleared up the confusion. 

image.jpeg

Since I don't drive I had no compunction about ordering an Alexander Keith's IPA.

image.jpeg

One of their Sharables which does not appear on the current menu. I believe it was called the French Connection. It was a sort of riff on poutine.  Braised chicken and gravy and french fries.   It was quite tasty.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

The ABC pizza. Apple, balsamic vinegar  and aged cheddar. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Tere said:

No fresh milk for the tea aiiieeee!

/Brit

;)

It is fresh milk.  The issue  is the packaging. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So once again Kerry and I found ourselves in Hamilton at lunchtime. We debated whether it was time for Pho again or for something a little different.  Different won!  We popped in to the Butcher and the Vegan  Click.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

The lunch offerings for today.  Both of us caved and had the "Butcher" menu  but I suspect both of us would be willing to return and try the "Vegan" menu.

image.jpeg

Perch tacos for me with green bean fries. 

image.jpeg

Croque Madame for Kerry with beet fries. 

They also often some craft beers but not by the half pint and I was not up for a full pint today.

We each had a taste of the other's meal.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

The best way I can describe the beet fries is to say that they were very beety and definitely more-ish.  They had been tossed in some sort of starch but were definitely not crispy but nor were they soggy.   The green beans were not quite as good as roasted green beans and could have used a little more seasoning but both enjoyed them. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Wednesday seems to come around incredibly fast these days!   Today we explored yet another new restaurant in Burlington.  Tapas and Barrel (Click).

image.jpeg

I started with one of these. It is a Belgian fruit beer called Früli.  One of the most truly refreshing drinks I have come across. I never have a second beer at lunchtime… Well OK this one time.

image.jpeg

Patatas bravas

image.jpeg

Yucca frites. Both of these would dress with a garlic aioli and a smoky spicy  ketchup.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I was not able to get this in one shot. But what we have here is called the Surf and Turf Board. So we have octopus, mussels shrimp,   Steak, duck breast,  chorizo, mixed marinated olives, mixed pickles. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I think of all the many  places you and Kerry have been, this one is about my favorite.  Everything calls out to me.  I really look forward to your Wednesday outings.  Thanks for sharing them with all of us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I think of all the many  places you and Kerry have been, this one is about my favorite.  Everything calls out to me.  I really look forward to your Wednesday outings.  Thanks for sharing them with all of us.

I was thinking similarly. 

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

24 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

24 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Thanks.  I was starting to think we were getting boring.  

My 2004 eG Blog

So today we made a return visit to D Hot Shoppe  for some Caribbean food.   I did a Google search for new restaurants in Burlington and this one came up and not until we pulled up to the door did I realize we had been there before and it certainly wasn't a new restaurant by any stretch of the imagination.   Our timing was perfect. No sooner had we found a table and placed our order then the place became completely overrun with hungry diners!

image.jpeg

Goat roti for me.

image.jpeg

Beef roti for Kerry.  We both had gravy on the side.

image.jpeg

"Doubles" with chutney.  The Jamaican patty went home with me as we were too full to tackle it. 

image.jpeg

Pholourie.   Water was our beverage of choice.  (Not really as I thought a beer would've gone down well but the place is unlicensed.) 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Hello all! I haven't posted here in way too long, but that does not mean I have not been having lunch with my lady friends! Yesterday, a lady friend and I revisited a favorite - Lilly Seafood Restaurant in League City. My friend had the grilled catfish (not pictured) and I had my favorite - the jumbo grilled shrimp with dirty rice and vegetables.

image.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 11

Yesterday at my suggestion we returned to Bahn Thai in Burlington. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg 

Ginger tea for Kerry and a beer for me.

image.jpeg

Golden squid for sharing. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Seafood soup for me and coconut soup for Kerry. 

image.jpeg

A real break from tradition for us… Dessert.   We shared a serving of mango and sticky rice.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Ill never understand why I can't get really good fried calamari in my area.

I can get excellent szechuan orange flavored chicken,  Singapore noodles, etc

no calamari.

guess it all gets shipped north to the GTA.

o.O

In an effort to keep interest in this topic alive and well (and of course to stretch our dining wings) we tried yet another new restaurant -- The Alex.  

It feels itself as "small plate, fine dining".  I was little concerned that we were the only patrons in there but perhaps it was just because Tuesday is not much of a day for restaurant lunches in this area. We had no complaints what ever about the service or the food.

image.jpeg

A beer for me.

image.jpeg

A chorizo taco for Kerry.

image.jpeg

A chicken taco for me.

image.jpeg

Pastrami on iin-house rye for us. On the side a smoky potato salad with bacon  and I am sure smoked Pimenton.  

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Steam Whistle, my new favourite beer!

It was a very moreish beer!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog