• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

One of my lady friends and I had lunch at Tookie's Seafood in Seabrook a couple of weeks ago. This fairly new restaurant just recently added lunch to their hours. On that occasion we both ordered fried seafood - she had the platter and I had the shrimp. We were both happy with our food but neither of us thought to take any photos!

Anyway, we returned to the restaurant again today and this time we ordered grilled seafood and I remembered to take photos!

My girlfriend had the Grilled Tilapia with rice and vegetables.

image.jpeg

And I had the Grilled Jumbo Shrimp, also with rice and vegetables.

image.jpeg

And my meal came with the added surprise of a Seafood Empanada! The pastry was hot and crispy and the filling was full of shrimp. Yum!

image.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 12

Looks fantastic. Love seafood. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I do love grilled shrimp!

image.jpeg

After birding on Galveston Island for several hours this morning with our Audubon group, my lady friend (who now has a working fridge) and I dined at Waterman's. We both ordered the grilled shrimp with asparagus and roasted potatoes. Below is the view from our table. Fun day!

image.jpeg

• Like 10

Today we headed off to a neighbouring town, Milton, for a little retail therapy at a discount store and a thrift store. On the drive there we explored possibilities for lunch and had pretty much settled on an Italian restaurant which had a rack of lamb on the menu. But as we were leaving the thrift store I asked the clerk where she would eat in Milton if she could eat anywhere at all. She responded with Rad Brothers and waxed poetic over what I thought she said was rack of lamb.  As we left the parking lot Kerry felt obliged to disabuse me of any idea that it was a rack of lamb but rather a wrap of lamb.  She knew I was not a huge fan of wraps but I suggested we try it anyway. After all I could ditch the wrap if I wanted. 

Rad Brothers turned out to be a sports bar, not our favourite type of venue for lunch. However all the large TVs were muted, our server seemed pleasant and genuine  and we decided we would enjoy our lunch no matter what. 

While we contemplated the menu  we were served our drinks, tea for Kerry  and a wheat beer for me. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We decided we would share four appetizers since a lamb option was among them. We settled on this combination:

Lamb skewers

Mussels

Firecracker shrimp

Calamari

When our server returned and we started to place our order she informed us that they no longer serve lamb in anyway shape or form. Their supplier had changed and they were not happy with the quality of the lamb being delivered. This was only the beginning of our disappointment. We suggested that she go away again while we re-thought our order.  

We replaced the lamb dish with something called a sizzling dip but when she returned to take our revised order and we reached the mussels she told us their delivery has not arrived!  

I said earlier that we were determined to enjoy our lunch no matter what.  We did not bother to replace the mussels with anything but settled for three appetizers.

image.jpeg

The sizzling dip. The garish coloured chips were somewhat off putting and the meat was beginning to burn in the screaming hot cast-iron pan.  Kerry stirred it to prevent any further charring and eventually asked for some sour cream which did little to mitigate the rather disappointing dip.

image.jpeg

The calamari, supposedly made from fresh rather than frozen, were perfectly adequate if not the best we've ever had.

image.jpeg

Firecracker shrimp.

Perhaps the Italian restaurant might have been a much better choice but we still  enjoyed ourselves so what the heck.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today my friend and I rode the ferry from Galveston to the Bolivar Peninsula and had our lunch at Stingaree in Crystal Beach. The restaurant is located on the second floor and situated on the intercoastal waterway, offering excellent views of the surrounding area. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a shot of the view, but I did get photos of our meal. Again, we both ordered the same dish, so I only had to take photos of my food!

After placing your order, they bring you a bowl of their fresh cole slaw, which comes with every meal.

IMG_0002.JPG

And surprise, surprise, we had the Charbroiled Shrimp with French Fries. The shrimp are separated by a slice of onion, which is just as tasty as the seafood!

IMG_0003.JPG

• Like 11

After our birding field trip this morning, my friend and I lunched at Gaido's on Galveston's Seawall Blvd. We had a window table with a fabulous view of the Gulf of Mexico. Fun times!

She had the Shrimp Salad, which did not get photographed, and I had the Crawfish Fettuccine, which got photographed only after I had started to eat. I will be having the leftovers for dinner tonight.

IMG_0026.JPG

• Like 9

1 minute ago, robirdstx said:

After our birding field trip this morning,  my friend and I lunched at Gaido's on Galveston's Seawall Blvd. We had a window table with a fabulous view of the Gulf of Mexico. Fun times!

She had the Shrimp Salad, which did not get photographed, and I had the Crawfish Fettuccine, which got photographed only after I had started to eat. I will be having the leftovers for dinner tonight.

IMG_0026.JPG

OMG I'm drooling over this.  I need to make this.  Now.  I have some frozen crawfish tails.......

• Like 4

It was a cold, rainy, blustery day and we both came to the same conclusion regarding lunch… Only pho would  check all the right boxes.  

image.jpeg

Summer rolls with peanut dipping sauce.

image.jpeg

Chicken and beef for Kerry. 

image.jpeg

Rare and well-done beef for me. 

image.jpeg

And the plate of garnishes. The basil was so fresh I was tempted to raid their walk-in to take some home with me.  On a day like today it just spoke of summer so loudly.

We forgot to take a photograph of my Vietnamese iced coffee and Kerry had tea as usual.

@robirdstx

Your lunch is always look fabulous and it is so good to see you participating. Kerry and I can get pretty boring at times!

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

After our birding field trip this morning, my friend and I lunched at Gaido's on Galveston's Seawall Blvd. We had a window table with a fabulous view of the Gulf of Mexico. Fun times!

IMG_0026.JPG

We roll along Seawall Blvd roughly twice a year on our travels.  Since we're always towing a Large Trailer we've never tried to stop, but I always have the idea that I could eat myself silly for at least a week without repeating a restaurant.  You're helping confirm that impression.

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

It was a cold, rainy, blustery day and we both came to the same conclusion regarding lunch… Only pho would  check all the right boxes.  

image.jpeg

Summer rolls with peanut dipping sauce.

image.jpeg

Chicken and beef for Kerry. 

image.jpeg

Rare and well-done beef for me. 

image.jpeg

And the plate of garnishes. The basil was so fresh I was tempted to raid their walk-in to take some home with me.  On a day like today it just spoke of summer so loudly.

We forgot to take a photograph of my Vietnamese iced coffee and Kerry had tea as usual.

@robirdstx

Your lunch is always look fabulous and it is so good to see you participating. Kerry and I can get pretty boring at times!

@Anna N and @Kerry Beal

You guys could show me pictures of the same Pho....or whatever you have every day and I would be drooling.  I LOVE seeing what you guys have to eat.  For this girl....waaaaay out in Kansas that never hardly leaves her house..it's a mini vacation :)

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

@Anna N and @Kerry Beal

You guys could show me pictures of the same Pho....or whatever you have every day and I would be drooling.  I LOVE seeing what you guys have to eat.  For this girl....waaaaay out in Kansas that never hardly leaves her house..it's a mini vacation :)

Come visit us - we'll take you to lunch!

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:52 PM, Smithy said:

We roll along Seawall Blvd roughly twice a year on our travels.  Since we're always towing a Large Trailer we've never tried to stop, but I always have the idea that I could eat myself silly for at least a week without repeating a restaurant.  You're helping confirm that impression.

I foresee a field trip back down to south TX.............

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

PHO NOTE

For those of us who order rare beef pho (or rare beef in combo w/ other cooked beef) I learned a great trick last year. I've been eating pho for many many years. Sometimes the beef really is rare, other times it isn't. If the kitchen doesn't get it out to you quickly it will no longer be pretty in pink.

Sitting at a neighboring table was a couple ordering pho. They both asked for the rare beef on the side. I watched as they were served a lovely platter of thin slices of raw beef. They dropped in a few slices as desired--you get the picture. It only works if your soup is truly hot when they bring it to the table, so hopefully you know whether your fave pho place routinely serves it steaming. Love pho even mo"!

• Like 4

Today we had appointments to keep so not a lot of time for just chilling out.  We decided to have lunch at Hakka Fresh on our way back to my house as we were running very short on time. 

image.jpeg

The deep fried cauliflower was as excellent as always.

image.jpeg

Crispy sesame beef 

image.jpeg

Hakka chicken fried rice. 

image.jpeg

Plain basmati rice.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

You always make me soooooo hungry when I read this topic, @Anna N!

I try hard to steer clear of restaurant reviews but I feel I really the need to say that only the cauliflower sang. The crispy sesame beef was the strangest thing.  There wasn't the slightest hint of a beef flavour and yet it was addictive -- sort of like eating potato chips.   And the fried rice was just bland. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry Beal is flying off to Seattle early in the morning so today we did a bit of last-minute shopping before looking for a place to have lunch. Last time we were out we went to Hakka Fresh and noticed a Greek restaurant and wine bar (Mythos) right next-door. Today we decided to give it a chance. We opted for a few  shared appetizers.

image.jpeg

Trio of dips with some pita bread. Taramasalata, tzadziki, and chef's dip. The latter reminded Kerry of pimento cheese. 

image.jpeg

Moroccan spiced octopus.

image.jpeg

Spanakopita.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

well , nice .  looks nice too .

Id like to hear more on the Octo

if your are willing to share.

I keep doing my best not to try anything along the lines of a review. But let me say that, as the bill arrived, Kerry said with some seriousness in her voice, "So where should we go for lunch?"  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

On November 4, 2016 at 2:34 PM, rotuts said:

ditto the above.

at least The Lunch Ladies didn't have Fried Calamari , tentacles included today !

These Days , one can cherish very small rewards.

Aren't the tentacles the best part? They are for me! 

So today we had errands in Waterdown and decided to give Angels Diner a chance to show their stuff. And they didn't disappoint. From the 50s style decor  to the chatter of the staff bossing around their regulars this place ticked all the right boxes. And the food was comfortingly familiar. image.jpeg

Kerry's beef barley soup

image.jpeg

and her hamburger steak.

image.jpeg

And my Liver Lover's Delight (a lunch time special).  The liver still had the faintest hint of pink. 

Say what you will, diner food rarely disappoints. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Say what you will, diner food rarely disappoints. 

I agree on the diner food... but "no, thanks" on the liver. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I agree on the diner food... but "no, thanks" on the liver. :D

I am happy to give you a pass on the liver.   What I find hard to take is that it almost never appears in the supermarket anymore.  And it has always struck me as somewhat odd that almost any diner has liver on the menu. I suspect it really, really dates the patrons.xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am happy to give you a pass on the liver.   What I find hard to take is that it almost never appears in the supermarket anymore.  And it has always struck me as somewhat odd that almost any diner has liver on the menu. I suspect it really, really dates the patrons.xD

It's strange to me that liver is that rare in larger population areas. I don't love it but I know a lot of people do. Way up here in Santa's south 40 where we can't get a large percentage of things usually easy to find in most areas, our little grocery store always has liver and tongue and frequently has kidney and tripe. Unfortunately, I've tried all four of those and tongue is the only one I can live with. I wanted to like liver, it always smelled good cooking with the onions when my grandmother cooked it for my grandfather, but I just don't. I've tried liver from beef, pork and bird and didn't like any of them. Not even foie. Can't even sneak it past the taste buds as pate. I've just accepted that I'm not going to like it no matter how hard I try and quit worrying about it.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.