• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

I had lunch yesterday to catch up with a former colleague at a local spot that popped up in a search inspired by recent discussions here on eG about Peruvian roast chicken.  Mouthful Eatery isn't a roast chicken joint, but they do use Peruvian flavors and I thought their menu looked interesting.  Apologies for the lack of photos as my phone battery was dead as a doornail.  

It's a casual, order at the counter and wait for your food to be delivered to your table sort of place.  The servers and staff in the open kitchen wore black t-shirts with the restaurant name on the front and a Julia Child quote printed on the back: "People who love to eat are always the best people."

I ordered the La Sarita sandwich: roasted pork shoulder, sweet potato slices, pickled red onions and aji amarillo aioli on ciabatta bread with pickled red cabbage. 

My friend got the Albondigo (meatballs of fire) sandwich: turkey meatballs, chipotle-tomato BBQ, melted provolone, kale pesto and crispy onion rings also on ciabatta.

We shared a side of shaved brussels sprouts and winter squash in a balsamic glaze.    

The sandwiches were both very good and very large.   We'll go back. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I had lunch yesterday to catch up with a former colleague at a local spot that popped up in a search inspired by recent discussions here on eG about Peruvian roast chicken.  Mouthful Eatery isn't a roast chicken joint, but they do use Peruvian flavors and I thought their menu looked interesting.  Apologies for the lack of photos as my phone battery was dead as a doornail.  

It's a casual, order at the counter and wait for your food to be delivered to your table sort of place.  The servers and staff in the open kitchen wore black t-shirts with the restaurant name on the front and a Julia Child quote printed on the back: "People who love to eat are always the best people."

I ordered the La Sarita sandwich: roasted pork shoulder, sweet potato slices, pickled red onions and aji amarillo aioli on ciabatta bread with pickled red cabbage. 

My friend got the Albondigo (meatballs of fire) sandwich: turkey meatballs, chipotle-tomato BBQ, melted provolone, kale pesto and crispy onion rings also on ciabatta.

We shared a side of shaved brussels sprouts and winter squash in a balsamic glaze.    

The sandwiches were both very good and very large.   We'll go back. 

Kale pesto... That sound interesting! I might try to make some;  I have a bunch of kale languishing in the fridge.

6 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Kale pesto... That sound interesting! I might try to make some;  I have a bunch of kale languishing in the fridge.

It was a brilliant emerald green color that looked beautiful on the sandwich - I wish I'd asked my friend for a taste to see what else was in it.

• Like 1

Out to lunch last week with a colleague - he can be an honorary lady for a day!

We ate at Rousseau House in Ancaster. 

IMG_3729.jpg

Crispy Cauliflower 

IMG_3731.jpg

Crispy calamari.

IMG_3734.jpg

Beet Salad

IMG_3732.jpg

Charcuterie plate.

• Like 9

Today in deep freeze temperatures and a little too much snow and ice Kerry and I ventured out.  We did a little thrift store shopping and found nothing food related and decided to have lunch on Kerr Street in Oakville at a Japanese restaurant called Yame Sushi.  As soon as we stepped through the door we knew we had been to the venue before but probably under other management.

Sake for me, tea for Kerry. 

image.jpeg

We each had a bowl of warming miso soup.

image.jpeg

Tooth-clinging sea weed salad. 

image.jpeg

Chicken katsu (I mistakenly wrote this down when Kerry had said chicken karaage). But it was very good!

image.jpeg

spring rolls

image.jpeg

Shrimp roll and inari for Kerry

image.jpeg

Japanese "pizza" for me with a topping of barbecued eel.  The base was rice with a crispy coating.  Quite intriguing.

We also had an order of shrimp and vegetable tempura but apparently the camera person was too exhausted or too full!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Anna and Kerry, that looks like a fine lunch.  The chicken katsu - what part of the chicken did they use? 

Good question - we din't get it - but it's usually 'knuckles'.

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

So what is the pictured dish called chicken katsu?

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

So what is the pictured dish called chicken katsu?

Very similar to "chicken schnitzel". Chicken breast cutlets breaded and fried. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Good question - we din't get it - but it's usually 'knuckles'.

Kerry means the karaage is usually "knuckles". 

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Chicken knuckles?

Yup.  Not nearly as rare as hen's teeth. We enjoyed these as chicken karaage in a ramen house if my memory doesn't fail me. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I need to get out more.

You will also see reference made to the bony end of the drumstick as a "knuckle".  If you whack these off before cooking a drumstick it will be much more succulent and free of those dreadful tendons.   One of the best tips I ever learned from eG. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Today a lady friend and I had lunch at the Cajun Greek in Galveston. 

She had the Chicken Gyro with Onion Strings, while I splurged and had the Shrimp Mediterranean - Grilled Shrimp topped with Mushrooms, Shallots and Herbs in a Wine Sauce over Cajun Rice; with Hush Puppies and Onion Strings.

IMG_0110.JPG

We both left with To-Go Boxes!

• Like 8

Been working in an office for the past 4 weeks - a bit of a switch from the ER I must say. Took the staff out for lunch on my last day. We went to Cavello Nero in Ancaster. 

Forgot to take pics at first.

IMG_3777.jpg

The remains of the charcuterie plate and a pizza shared by two. 

IMG_3778.jpg

Penne with chicken and a chipotle sauce.

IMG_3776.jpg

Soup and salad for me - caldo verde.  The caesar was excellent!

• Like 9

Today Kerry and I paid a second visit to Celli's Osteria in  Burlington.

image.jpeg

Bread for dipping. 

image.jpeg

Calamari which we shared. 

image.jpeg

Kerry chose two appetizers to go with her share of the calamari. The first one was this pork and beef meatball. 

image.jpeg

The second was a dish of warm olives.

image.jpeg

I had the linguine with mussels.  I was so busy reading the ingredients that I did not read the name of the dish and wondered out loud what kind of pasta came with it!  Duh.  But we had a good laugh over that one.

image.jpeg

It came with a Caesar salad but I had eaten too much already so Kerry helped me out on this one.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

what is the round reddish disk on the C.S. ?

a tomato slice ?   

Crispy pancetta 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Today after a couple of errands Kerry and I returned to Adami in Burlington for lunch. 

As usual Kerry had tea and I had sake.

image.jpeg

we both enjoyed a bowl of miso soup

image.jpeg

we shared this wakame salad (though I had the lions share).   The dressing was really good.

image.jpeg

Dynamite roll. 

image.jpeg

Tempura shrimp and vegetables.

image.jpeg

Crispy chicken bits.

image.jpeg

Deep fried squid tentacles.

image.jpeg

shrimp dumplings. 

image.jpeg

Barbecued beef ribs

image.jpeg

Eel hand roll for me. 

image.jpeg

inari

we had also ordered tonkatsu but it never showed up and we had no regrets as we had ordered too much food already!   It was a flat price for the meal so we were not really concerned about the missing pork.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Today @Alleguedeand I had the pleasure of meeting up with @pastryani and having lunch at The Copper Chimney

IMG_3899.jpg

Pappadam 

IMG_3901.jpg

Onion bhaji

IMG_3903.jpg

Paneer makhani, butter chicken and lamb roganjosh - rice of course.

IMG_3904.jpg

Garlic naan all around.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 18