• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

David – I love the look of that hash brown casserole!

Christmas morning breakfast!  The menu never changes.  My MIL’s candy cane:

med_gallery_3331_338_103672.jpg

Pillsbury Orange Danish Tree:

med_gallery_3331_338_120230.jpg

Silliest thing ever, but we HAVE to have them.

Jessica made mimosas this year:

med_gallery_3331_338_155369.jpg

Very popular.  A new tradition, I think.

Sausage rolls:

med_gallery_3331_338_35794.jpg

Baby Quiche Lorraine:

med_gallery_3331_338_68769.jpg

I missed getting a picture of the everything bagels :rolleyes: !

• Like 7

image.jpg

I said that my new years' duck would keep giving and giving. Duck Rillettes with some cornichons and toast.

image.jpg

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Like Anna, New Year's food keeps giving -this is just about the last of the leftovers from our New Year's Day brunch: ham and spinach strata, a slice of caramel bread pudding with a scoop of cream cheese/mascarpone mix (in place of the fromage blanc of which there were no leftovers) and cousin Jim's fruited focaccia. I don't think I'llBreakfast.png want lunch today.

Elaina

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Cyalexa - Jim is an amazing baker. The focaccia, like all his breads, is baked in his outside,wood fired oven (yes, even in January in upstate New York when it is well below freezing). The dough is portioned in about 6" rounds with a depression in the center filled with fruit and brown sugar. In this version it was blueberries and raspberries. It is really wonderful.

Elaina

Edited by ElainaA (log)

One of my sweeties favorites, Egg Foo Yung consisting of:  fresh ranch eggs, bean sprouts, thin sliced asparagus, oyster sauce, soy sauce, a little sesame oil, some chicken broth.  Quick and easy.  egg foo yung.jpg 

egg foo yung.jpg

• Like 5

Cyalexa - Jim is an amazing baker. The focaccia, like all his breads, is baked in his outside,wood fired oven (yes, even in January in upstate New York when it is well below freezing). The dough is portioned in about 6" rounds with a depression in the center filled with fruit and brown sugar. In this version it was blueberries and raspberries. It is really wonderful.

Elaina

Thanks Elaina. Was it a typical focacia dough or was it rich/sweet? Do you think frozen berries would be OK? 

image.jpg

Homemade, no-knead harvest bread from the King Arthur website toasted and buttered. Chock full of walnuts, sultanas and currants.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks Elaina. Was it a typical focacia dough or was it rich/sweet? Do you think frozen berries would be OK? 

He uses a plain focaccia dough. The berries are sweetened with a brown sugar topping. He uses fresh berries - blueberries and raspberries this time. I think i like the cherry ones even better. Frozen berries would be softer and probably give off more juice. I'm not sure that would be a bad thing - the places where juice soaked into the bread taste really good.  if you try them, let me know how they come out. This is all second hand - I've never made them myself. I don't need to since we usually get some when Jim bakes.

Elaina

image.jpg

Hard to beat a breakfast of poached eggs on toast!

image.jpg

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

You are all very inspiring with your beautiful and creative breakfasts.

We had breakfast food for dinner tonight: sausage and egg biscuits with buttered grits and sliced bosc pear, so ripe and so good.

Kim Shook,

I agree that Willie's avatar does vaguely evoke Dave Hatfield's Rupert, because they're both shots of dogs in a field. Dave's shot of Rupert was singular though for his capture of Rupert's ears in a gravity defying fully extended position. Dave discussed it somewhere, and said he got the shot while Rupert was running though a field with the ears rising and falling, and just caught them on their full rise.

Dave was a valued member who contributed a lot to eGullet, and I miss him too. He did three food blogs, over the years, the last of which was not too much previous to his death. He was still enjoying food and life pretty much up to the end, and for that I'm grateful.

You can check out his food blogs about eating in the French countryside, or just take a quick peek at his Rupert avatar here:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/104472-egfoodblog-dave-hatfield/

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/143664-eg-foodblog-dave-hatfield-la-france-profonde/

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145926-eg-foodblog-dave-hatfield-a-food-adventure/

ETA: cuz I cain't spel

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpg

Individual quiche with some greens.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I gravitate toward steel cut oats when it's cold, but I didn't want sweet this morning. So I grated some parmesan into the cooked oats, then put a fried egg over the top. Didn't think about a photo. Worth repeating.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Leftover chicken and caramelized citrus on toast.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

"Individual quiche" and "prosciutto wrapped eggie muffins" are making me absolutely envious!  How I wish I'd packed along my little mini-tart pan as I'd intended!  Anna N and Mmmpomps, those delicacies wouldn't last half an hour around here, even if I'd made a dozen for each of us.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown