• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

image.jpg

Shallot sauteed in bacon fat then a combination of shredded radicchio and Napa cabbage was added and everything was well seasoned and then topped with a fried egg.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Leftover steak on toast with very spicy Japanese mayo/sandwich spread.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Toast with miso butter.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Miso butter? You just blend white miso and butter? What ratio?

Sounds interesting and I bet I could find a number of places to use it

Whatever miso you have on hand. I go 1:1. Good stuff on roasted asparagus.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Loaded savory breakfast muffin (cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, sun-dried tomatoes and minced scallions).

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Mushroom and scallion frittata.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Poached eggs on English muffins. As my eggs age I have been using a fine seive to remove some of the liquid white before poaching them. It definitely improves the appearance.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

An unintentional cauliflower breakfast happened to me this morning.  I'd been wanting to make some roasted cauliflower to toss with pasta but of late,  it's been too hot to crank up the oven at dinner time.  I decided to take advantage of today's cooler weather and get the cauliflower preped first thing. 

A pretty colored cauliflower from my CSA box:

raw.jpg

Made two nice pans of roasted cauliflower:

roasted.jpg

Ooops!  Breakfast was on that now-empty pan.  :blush:

I think there's still enough left to toss with my pasta for dinner.  If I can stay away from it between now and then!

• Like 2

image.jpg

Kimchi pancake

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Roasted/broiled carnival squash with butter and parmesan.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday it was eggs Benedict - I had been craving them for the last week or so and Sunday I had the luxury of time at home to make them.  Used Black Forest ham instead of Canadian bacon, though.

Yesterday the last of the baked oatmeal with fresh blackberries, maple syrup and almond milk.

Today was simple toasted English muffin with some local honey.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

AnnaN :

you 'roasted' that squash cut side down then added the butter/cheese after a flip ?

I did and then put it under the broiler to melt the cheese and further caramelize the edges.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Mmmpomps

like the idea that the eggs were cooked in the same pan after the bacon and sausage, just guessing

no Toast ?

:sad:

Yes Rotus you are exactly right, I cooked the eggs in the same pan with a splash more of bacon fat. BF isn't a huge carb eater. M'self , I have to have toast with eggs :)