• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

image.jpg

Home-made black bread topped with store-bought smoked duck breast and Momofuku-style quick pickles. I re-crisped the skin in a cast iron skillet, vacuum sealed the radish and cucumber with equal parts (by volume) fine sea salt and sugar.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I confessed in another topic that I am addicted to poached eggs on toast and this morning I awoke with a burning desire to feed my addiction. But a mad scramble through the freezer failed to exhume a single slice of appropriate bread. To appease my craving somewhat I toasted this piece of caramelized onion naan bread. It is not ideal but it quieted the pangs somewhat.

image.jpg

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Cabbage rolls from my freezer.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Peas and lettuce sauteed and topped with a poached egg (adapted from a similar recipe on Serious Eats). Way more than the sum of its parts and for those restricting carbs an excellent way to start the day. (Peas do have carbs but relative to bread…)

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Ham and cheese quesadilla.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Naan bread brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with an Italian herb mixture before being topped with cheese and tomatoes and broiled.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

A slice of toasted whole wheat with a fried egg and a salad, a few chilli flakes and a dash of vinaigrett.

this along with a glass of whole milk and a splurge of Greek Yoghurt gets me going in the morning.

• Like 2

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Had Christmas with my husbands kids (well they aren't kids any more, but I still call 'em kids ;) ) and we had brunch before we opened presents.

Breakfast .....casserole?  Strata?  I used homemade bread slices with diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar, onions, mushrooms, broccoli and ham.  Then I poured a dozen beaten eggs and a couple cups of cream over the top.  

photo 2.JPG

Cheesy potatoes

photo 3.jpg

Shrimp cocktail

photo 4.jpg

Blueberry zucchini bread

photo 5.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3

Wow  Wow

looks sooooooooo good.

1 ) the Last Crock Pot doing Its Job.   :biggrin:  Kudos your C.P. way !

2 )  ""  Blueberry zucchini bread ""

still got Zuks ?   Ill make an effort, after looking at an Old Map ....

to light a Candle.,   Your Way !

:biggrin:

• Like 1

Wow  Wow

looks sooooooooo good.

1 ) the Last Crock Pot doing Its Job.   :biggrin:  Kudos your C.P. way !

2 )  ""  Blueberry zucchini bread ""

still got Zuks ?   Ill make an effort, after looking at an Old Map ....

to light a Candle.,   Your Way !

:biggrin:

LOL nooooooo, that bread was frozen.  I made it in August :)  I am zucchini free right now  :biggrin:

Hash Brown Casserole--a great dish on a Holiday morning that feeds a crowd.  I use the basic recipe from Mrs. Dell's hashbrowns and then I add my own touch to the casserole.  This year I added cooked ham, sometimes I'll add pork sausage.  (This isn't a sophisticated dish so I haven't tried it with foie gras or poached quails eggs).  I think the best part is the topping-corn flakes drenched in butter.

IMG_0316.JPG

• Like 3

Small piece of leftover pizza with an egg on it :)

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Oh boy, just wait until I take that to work for breakfast.  My employees will be most jealous.

• Like 1