• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

image.jpg

Almost Sichuan dry-fried beans. Preserved vegetables MIA. Still tasty and a good way to start the day.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Baked eggs is not something I do often, mainly because my wife hates whites that are not cooked through and it's hard to get the whites solid without over cooking the yolks unless using a torch. But when looking at the beautiful photos I got the urge. I got a little complaint about the whites but this hit my flavor buttons like a sledge hammer.

ab443e138c9e71508b6b84e5a7bc05a1.jpg

• Like 7

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Almost Sichuan dry-fried beans. Preserved vegetables MIA. Still tasty and a good way to start the day.

Anna N, "Sichuan dry-fried green beans" does not NEED the Sichuanese preserved vegetables as specified by that Englishwoman to be thought of as "Sichuan dry-fried green beans".  Ditto many, many Sichuanese dishes do not need to be approved by that Englishwoman to be considered Sichuanese dishes.  Just saying.

scubadoo97,

Your baked eggs look delicious. What combination of spices and herbs woke up your taste buds?I was tempted to make a similar dish this morning but it failed to ring all the right bells. Thanks.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N, "Sichuan dry-fried green beans" does not NEED the Sichuanese preserved vegetables as specified by that Englishwoman to be thought of as "Sichuan dry-fried green beans".  Ditto many, many Sichuanese dishes do not need to be approved by that Englishwoman to be considered Sichuanese dishes.  Just saying.

Ah but huiray it was not that compatriot English woman's interpretation that I wanted to replicate but the taste memories of that compatriot English woman's dry fried beans that I was after. And without those preserved the vegetables the taste memory was highly forgettable. Just saying.

My 2004 eG Blog

Along with the obvious potatoes, sweet red peppers, fine diced onions and garlic and a little Danish Gouda. Sweet Spanish pinmenton and parsley to finish.

Thank you. I suspected the pimenton and parsley but not the rest. Now I have no doubt it is going to appear on my breakfast table.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Scubadoo, your frittata looks amazing.  Love the side of potatoes.

Poached%20eggs%20on%20Sourdough%20Bread%

Farm Fresh Poached Eggs with toasted homemade sourdough bread.

Great-looking poached eggs! How do you get them to be that shape? I'm guessing wrapped in plastic but...

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Great-looking poached eggs! How do you get them to be that shape? I'm guessing wrapped in plastic but..

No, they were just cooked the normal way in simmering water with a teaspoon of vinegar.  I just give the water a swirl and slide the egg into  the centre of the swirl,  move it over and slide the second one in.   I think because these are really fresh eggs,  the albumin is firmer and holds the shape better. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Preserved veg sitting on counter at my house - so no longer MIA!

• Like 1

"That Englishwoman", as you so impolitely refer to a fellow eG member, gives recipes for dry-fried beans both with and without Sichuan preserved vegetables.

But then she HAS been to Sichuan.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

Scrambled eggs with toasted pumpkin seed oil, tomato and half an English muffin toasted. Skimped too much on the pumpkinseed oil and the whole-grain English muffin was a mis-purchase!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Poached eggs seasoned with Magic Mushroom Powder (http://thehealthyfoodie.com/magic-mushroom-powder/).

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

I actually prefer crustless quiche.  Question:  did you serve the quiche at room temp?  We're going to a tailgating event in a few weeks and I was thinking quiche.  TIA.

I'm sorry, c oliver, I just noticed your question.  I did serve it room temperature.  I made it the night before - it was a breakfast tailgate - and heated slightly that morning and carried it in a insulated dish.  Worked perfectly.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Re-heated orzo "risotto" with some tomatoes and grated Parmesan.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Fried egg on home fries. Seven minutes to steam a few potatoes in the microwave and they tasted much fresher than leftover ones kept in the fridge.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Sooo delicious

AnnaN

the above might enjoy some Delicious Sausage.

better Yet some Scrapple, but I think on the Scrapple, one might need a Sabbatical or two Down Under

in the PHI area.

for those North of the Border.

• Like 1

Sooo delicious

AnnaN

the above might enjoy some Delicious Sausage.

better Yet some Scrapple, but I think on the Scrapple, one might need a Sabbatical or two Down Under

in the PHI area.

for those North of the Border.

Been there. Done that. Once was more than enough.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144850-working-our-way-to-lancaster-pa-–-what-to-eat-in-amish-country/?p=1915523

My 2004 eG Blog