• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

@rotuts,

household cleaning doesn't hold much interest for me, as a general rule, but the entire inside of the oven was messy. And I didn't like the way it smelled.

But, unnecessarily difficult to clean –– especially with that door. 😒

And I am wanting to know how other folk circumvent these isses. 🙂

Edited by TdeV
Always more to say (log)
  • Thanks 1

@TdeV

good points .

id remove crumbs 

they will ignite eventually   

is there is not a liner that's easy to remove

or a trap door on the bottom to open 

open the door and shake them out.

they are a fire hazard .

for the aroma  ?

can you take it outside , plug nit in

and set it for 450 F  and burn off the source pf the aroma ?

do you have a CO2 fire extinguisher ?   very hard to come buy for home use 

just in case of fire.

home foam extinguishers will render the unit ' junk '

or  save time and fire hazard

and get a new unit 

where the crumbs are easier to remove ?

24 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@rotuts,

household cleaning doesn't hold much interest for me, as a general rule, but the entire inside of the oven was messy. And I didn't like the way it smelled.

But, unnecessarily difficult to clean –– especially with that door. 😒

And I am wanting to know how other folk circumvent these isses. 🙂

Are you talking about a toaster oven or the APO?

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Are you talking about a toaster oven or the APO?

The Anova Precision Oven which is at 22 x 18 x 14 (inches) and 46lbs up on the kitchen countertop, way too large and heavy for me to move anywhere.

But I figure people with other toaster/oven devices probably have similar issues.

I'm looking for other folks' experience so I will know more about how to ask questions/solutions from Anova.

My first thought is that it would be useful to be able to remove the oven door (as long as it's a simple enough task).

• Like 1

I have a CSO, which weighs much less than a million pounds. 

There have been a few occasions when I thought it needed more than the steam clean cycle, which my original one didn't have. 

The first time, I pulled it out a bit and tipped it on its back (first removing the water tank) so I could more easily see and clean the "ceiling."

The door did not get in the way.  

I've since decided that part doesn't get all that dirty and I can see inside well enough to clean it without tipping it.  

I use Easy Off Fume-Free oven cleaner, which I also use on my stainless steel gas cooktop and consider a miracle cleaner. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I use Easy Off Fume-Free oven cleaner, which I also use on my stainless steel gas cooktop and consider a miracle cleaner. 

Ooh, could you expound on how you use it on your cooktop?

Edited by Alex
to fix a typo (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Ooh, could you expound on how you use it on your cooktop?

I just remove the grates, spray it on, let it stand a while (a few minutes or up to overnight if there's a bad spill) and wipe it off with a damp sponge. 

My cooktop looks like this...

616C9B97-2AB6-4F2B-876B-98A4F6B82BD4_4_5005_c.jpeg.60f4bee7d7d01aab3e6aba62b3b92a92.jpeg

...when it's clean 🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been buying Matiz Piparras, Basque Guindilla Peppers for a few months now and I love them.  My question is:  what can I do with the liquid in the jar?

It has to be good added to a spicy dish somewhere.

Got any suggestions?

Using fresh water chestnuts, if one can't peel them immediately before using them,

-- can one peel them and store in a water bowl?

-- should the bowl be iced or kept in the fridge?

-- Should one add lemon or vinegar to the water?

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I've been buying Matiz Piparras, Basque Guindilla Peppers for a few months now and I love them.  My question is:  what can I do with the liquid in the jar?

Got any suggestions?

I've never had them, so this is a wild guess: could you put the juice into a mix where a spicy pickle juice would be welcome? Tuna salad, potato salad? Mix a little into a salad dressing for green salad?

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Using fresh water chestnuts, if one can't peel them immediately before using them,

-- can one peel them and store in a water bowl?

-- should the bowl be iced or kept in the fridge?

-- Should one add lemon or vinegar to the water?

Absolutely. All my local supermarkets and wet markets sell them pre-peeled. They are held in lightly acidulated water (using diluted rice vinegar) and are unrefrigerated even here in the tropics.

Screenshot_20240216_060813.thumb.jpg.e38fa7db8f00d454f4734355c5840f4a.jpg

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, lindag said:

Got any suggestions?

I just realized that I'd jumped to a wild conclusion that might be wrong. What is the liquid? Acid? Salt water? Oil? What do you do with the peppers themselves? That might help some of us make better suggestions for you.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 hours ago, lindag said:

Got any suggestions?

I've never had these either, but now that I've read about them, there is a jar in my Amazon cart. LOL!

• Haha 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

I just realized that I'd jumped to a wild conclusion that might be wrong. What is the liquid? Acid? Salt water? Oil? What do you do with the peppers themselves? That might help some of us make better suggestions for you.

Thanks.

It's a pickling liquid.  The pickles are just eaten out of hand.

The label says it's a mild brine but I find them quite  spicy and delicious.

49 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I've never had these either, but now that I've read about them, there is a jar in my Amazon cart. LOL!

Someone here at eG put me on to these; it may have been @JoNorvelleWalker or it may have been @Shelby.

Edited by lindag (log)

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

I also was intrigued by folks on eG about these, and found some at Zingerman's Deli and bought them (PM me if you want to do it too), but I haven't tried them yet. I'm not very spicy-forward and are hoping these are mild. We'll be having another Cheesboard Wine Time coming up shortly and I can report back.

48 minutes ago, lindag said:

Thanks.

Then I stand by my earlier suggestion: add the liquid where an acidic kick would be welcome. Tuna salad, potato salad, salad dressing, that sort of thing. In addition, I've been using the brine from dill pickles to pickle chopped spinach stems as an addition to my salads (and as a way to use spinach stems). In the pickling discussion, @FauxPas mentioned pickling garlic scapes. You might try something like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Note that different brands, maybe even different jars, are hotter than others.    I'd taste carefully before adding brine to other dishes.   (I have one expensive jar in the fridge that is too hot for anyone in the family.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

@lindag, are these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) the peppers in question? They look darned good. I may have to try them too...after I've worked my way through some of my backlog of pickles, commercial and otherwise. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lindag said:

Someone here at eG put me on to these; it may have been @JoNorvelleWalker or it may have been @Shelby.

I am probably the guilty party.  I have been promoting the peppers after first having had them in a tin of Matiz wild sardines.  I recently received another shipment from the folks at supermarketitaly.com

The idea of using the liquid is new to me.  I might try some in coleslaw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 2/15/2024 at 10:51 AM, lindag said:

Got any suggestions?

I've been buying them for a while and blame either @weinoo or @Katie Meadow.  I can get them at a local import shop.  

The brine is good in a vinaigrette.  Or just toss greens with a splash of brine and drizzle of olive oil. 

Also toss your hot spuds with it prior to making a potato salad. 

I'm not a big pasta salad fan but the aforementioned vinaigrette makes a nice dressing for the sort with bits of cheese and salami. 

If you're making any recipe that uses pickled peppers, look for a way to sneak the brine in to sub for vinegar, lemon juice, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3