• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

@kayb  

I continue to marvel at how moist and toothsome a brined, farm-raised, CSO-roasted chicken is.  "

indeed .

maybe some of us would dial up Breville and ask them What Gives ?

breville customer service telephone numbers

maybe this one :

http://phonenumbercustomerservice.us/Customer-Service-Phone-Number-Breville-039179

@rotuts I drive past Edgecraft/Chef's Choice almost every day. Amazing the number of products that come out of a fairly small couple of buildings. But I think that they do make most of their stuff there...the 18 wheelers are there a lot.

The last of the garden green peppers, shrimp, sausage, capers, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, shallots, white wine and diced fresh tomatoes on thin spaghetti. Oh, and of course, bruschetta. In her defense, Deb thought I had already taken pictures and dug in.

HC

IMG_0366.JPGIMG_0369.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

Some good shopping today.

Although we get huge daikon radishes year round, red ones are rare. Maybe once a year. Sometimes bite sized; sometimes this size, as found today.

radish.jpg

Also, for the first time ever, I found raspberries in China! I've been waiting 20+ years.

rasps.jpg

ANDI found the first spinach of the season.

So, dinner was dry-fried beef with radish and green onion. Beef marinated in soy sauce, osmanthus wine, garlic, chilli flakes (a lot) and cumin. Simple wilted spinach with salt. Rice.

dinner.jpg

Then I made cranachan*, that wonderful Scottish dessert of whipped cream, toasted oats, whisky and honey. It looked pretty and tasted wonderful, but every picture I took looked a total mess. So no pic.

*I would link to the relevant Wikipedia article but it is garbage.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sunday dinner, for some reason, is always traditional Southern fare. And served midday.

Sunday dinner.jpg

Country fried steak, homemade rolls, corn and peas from the freezer, mashed potatoes and gravy.

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Very simple salmon dish, rubbed with brown sugar, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, then served with cannelini beans sauteed in olive oil with red pepper flakes, garlic, spinach and lemon zest.

IMG_1299.JPG

• Like 15

Mirror, mirror...

dinner1.jpg

Chicken thighs braised with garlic (lots), shallots, mushrooms, whole grain mustard, black olives. New potatoes. Baby bok choy.

dinner2.jpg

Followed, for the second night in a row, by cranachan. Whipped cream, whisky, toasted oatmeal and honey. tonight managed to get a not great picture, but one which I'm not totally ashamed of.

dinner3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Beef stew with chuck, carrots, parsnips, potato, onion, celery, peas and barley.  Lately I have been making this in the electric pressure cooker, but yesterday's schedule wasn't conducive to that, so I went back to the slow cooker.

I made it a semi-dry stew on purpose by upping the amount of barley and lowering the liquid content.  Normally I use 1 cup of chicken stock plus 1/4 cup of red wine.  For this batch I used 1/2 cup of water and no stock or wine.  It was very good.

stew5.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

This is the second time in a few days that I have made pork chops but this one looked good and I wanted to give it a try. It's called Lemon Thyme Pork chops.  The green beans are Southern style like mom made.  The pasta recipe is from Milk Street magazine.  We did not care for it and didn't keep the leftovers.

DSCN3829.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15

I found a huge, beautiful cauliflower at the Syracuse farmer's market for $2. Tonight's dinner used about 1/4 of it.

Cauliflower, potatoes and peas (gobhi mater rasedar) and split pea dal (masala dal) from my go-to book for Indian cooking, Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking. And naan, from Meera Sodha's Made in India.

DSC01809.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

monday dinner.jpg

Leftover roast chicken, with mushrooms, in a cream sauce, served inside a hollowed out roll, with scalloped potatoes and roasted broccoli with lemon zest.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com