• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The All All-Clad Cookware Topic

dennis77

Quite reasonable appraisal, Will.

I should fess up that I am very long at this cooking game. Been putting dinner on the table 365/year for 50 years. Thin cookware has my anathema since I began. I hate disk bottom cookware. All-clad has been an epiphany. For the first time in my trials, I caramelize sugar with my eyes closed, add cream and turn our caramels or go on to sauces and ice creams. Make fast reduction sauces. Stove top or oven braise. Saute up some veggies or seafood, deglase and reduce and turn out a spectacular pasta sauce. And the list goes on. Yes, I hate the inside rivets, but, heck, these pots belong to me. If I condone a bit of smutch around them, I only have myself to answer to.

Perhaps the subject of another thread, but don't overlook tag sales, flea markets and other second tier market sources.

IMHO, All-clad? Go for it!

eGullet member #80.

Another big difference between the two is that All-Clad has riveted handles, whereas Sitram has welded ones. Some advantages and drawbacks to each.

Hi,

A few years ago there was an infomercial for some waterless cookware which used welded handles. The "chef" proclaimed that the welded handles eliminated the problem of those pesky rivet falling into the food you were cooking.

Tim

• 7 years later...

All-Clad non-stick works well. I have the All-Clad 4 space waffle maker with non-stick parts - the batter has never stuck and I never had to butter the grittle. I was surprised just how well the thing works and clean up is me wetting a paper towel and going over the grittle when done. And I put chocolate chips ontop of the batter once I pour it in - the 1 or 2 chips left come off very easily.  

I also have the All-Clad pancake grittle for the top of the stove that is non-stick. Works great and I've had it for 5 years.

Edited by Transit98 (log)

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2011 at 3:28 PM, JAZ said:

Are you completely set on All-Clad? If not, I'd suggest looking at Demeyere -- much better quality for the price. Here are a couple of pieces I'd recommend:

Atlantis 3.2 qt. saucepan and Proline 11-in. skillet. These Amazon prices are absurdly low, so you could get both pieces for your budget. If I didn't already own more cookware than I'll ever need, I'd order that saucepan in a flash.

@JAZ It is like pulling hens' teeth to find actual dimensions of Demeyere pots and pans.  For the 3.2 qt. saucepan what is the height and width in centimeters?

I have more cookware than I'll ever need* but that has not stopped me yet.

*even some All-Clad that I half three quarters regret.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I love my All-Clad, original Master Chef. Still going strong after 25 years of misuse.

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For the 3.2 qt. saucepan what is the height and width in centimeters?

Product Dimensions 16.7 x 9.4 x 5.7 inches

Please use your Hewlett-Packard calculator to convert to centimeters. I'm assuming the largest dimension listed is from handle to opposite side edge of pan.

But are we allowed to speak of Demeyere on this thread? (Cause I have a piece or two, which are used quite rarely).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

OOOOOH look...https://uk.zwilling-shop.com/Kitchen-World/Cookware/Pans/Saucepans/20cm-3l-Stainless-Steel-Saucepan-With-Lid-DEMEYERE-40850-340-0.html

• DESCRIPTION
  •  
  • DIMENSIONS
  •  
  • ABOUT DEMEYERE

Base Diameter: 20 cm
Diameter: 20 cm
Height: 15.5 cm
Induction Compatibility: yes
Length: 40.2 cm
Volume: 3 l
Width: 21.1 cm
EAN: 5412191414217

Tasty Travails - My Blog

not to move too far away from the topic

but for completeness sake

Demeyre has several ' levels ' of pans.  the ones w the disk is possible somewhere in the middle

just guessing

their top of the line pans were called something else when I got a 2.5 qt saucier several years ago

now its called ' industry 5 ' as it has 5 all clad layers :

https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere/cookware/industry-5/

this panj

https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere-industry-5-ply-saute-pan-18%2F10-stainless-steel--48824-48524/40851-236-0.html?cgid=our-brands_demeyere_cookware_industry-5#start=1

but in the medium size.   there are actually 3 . possible 4 sizes

outstanding steel pan , I got it with a deep sale , as I was going to give my 2 all-clad aluminum sauciers away

\when I moved to Induction.   that's what the steel pan was for.

no induction anywhere on the horizon it seems for me

and Im fine w that

the handles on the industry 5 are outstanding.

45 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I have old All Clad MC which I love and newer AC which I don't. Some newer bottoms are crowned.  My Calphalon is better.

We've certainly talked about old vs. new All Clad.

Something about manufacturing in Canonsburg, PA...

497515993_Allclad.jpeg.09d48f8e12042de315ed1e8452eccb63.jpeg

1516958443_AllcladIMG_2905.jpeg.8678d628db83a02033dae92c870c6417.jpeg

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

OOOOOH look...https://uk.zwilling-shop.com/Kitchen-World/Cookware/Pans/Saucepans/20cm-3l-Stainless-Steel-Saucepan-With-Lid-DEMEYERE-40850-340-0.html

• DESCRIPTION
  •  
  • DIMENSIONS
  •  
  • ABOUT DEMEYERE

Base Diameter: 20 cm
Diameter: 20 cm
Height: 15.5 cm
Induction Compatibility: yes
Length: 40.2 cm
Volume: 3 l
Width: 21.1 cm
EAN: 5412191414217

Yes, last night I found the Demeyere dimensions on the UK site.  The problem with converting from inches is that the imperial dimensions I saw had apparently been rounded to the nearest inch.

I wanted to replace an All Clad LTD with an induction pan that would accommodate the All Clad double boiler insert.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 year later...

sorry in advance for throwing this q in this thread but it seems like one of the more active threads so i figured i might get a solid answer faster here:

i'm looking for a 4qt sauce pan or saucier....I was going to do all clad but the 4qt sauce pan is $$$$$$$...am i an idiot for considering the made in stuff? anyone have experience?

1 hour ago, hotsaucerman said:

sorry in advance for throwing this q in this thread but it seems like one of the more active threads so i figured i might get a solid answer faster here:

i'm looking for a 4qt sauce pan or saucier....I was going to do all clad but the 4qt sauce pan is $$$$$$$...am i an idiot for considering the made in stuff? anyone have experience?

I have All-Clad 1, 2 and 3-quart sauciers and like them a lot. Closer to your 4-qt size, I have the 12-inch chef's pan.  I like the shape of that one but it's 5lbs empty and gets kind of heavy for me to try to toss stuff around. 
I bought them all via the factory seconds sales that http://www.homeandcook.com has every couple of months which knocks quite a bit off the prices. For example, that chef's pan lists at a ridiculous $395.00. I paid $139.00. Might be worth signing up for their email so you can see if they have what you're interested in when their next sale rolls around. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I have the 3 quart saucier.  I use it because I have it, but if I bought a saucier again, I would not buy All-Clad.  I hate the way the handle digs into my hands.

All-Clad handles, imo, are just poorly designed.  The only complaint I have about the brand.  I now use a Viking sauté pan rather than my AC because the handles are much more friendly.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, hotsaucerman said:

No exactly.  I was looking for anew saucepan and decided to order one from 'made in'.  Then I checked CI and read that their tests revealed warping.  I have an  induction range and a warped pan would make me crazy.  I bought AC instead.

• Thanks 1

Kenji Lopez-Alt and Serious Eats are the only reviewers who seem to like the made in pans.   I consider Kenji and Serious Eats to have the integrity of a TV infomercial at 2 AM.   With a negative review from CI, I personally would stay away.

I have the All Clad 4 quart saucepan in MC.   mine is probably 25 years old.    I bought it/ asked for it as a Christmas present because it fit their steamer and double boiler insert.  I was cooking for 2 at the time and used it as a pasta pot for short shapes as well.   It saw a lot of use.    

For those things it’s fine, although the handles get more annoying with a pot that’s full of water and thus heavier.   As a saucepan, hard pass.   All Clad does frying pans fairly well.  Saucepans not so much.  Base is too thin, gets hot spots.    I have a number of much less expensive (and more expensive) saucepans that blow all clad out of the water.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Kenji Lopez-Alt and Serious Eats are the only reviewers who seem to like the made in pans.   I consider Kenji and Serious Eats to have the integrity of a TV infomercial at 2 AM.   With a negative review from CI, I personally would stay away.

I have the All Clad 4 quart saucepan in MC.   mine is probably 25 years old.    I bought it/ asked for it as a Christmas present because it fit their steamer and double boiler insert.  I was cooking for 2 at the time and used it as a pasta pot for short shapes as well.   It saw a lot of use.    

For those things it’s fine, although the handles get more annoying with a pot that’s full of water and thus heavier.   As a saucepan, hard pass.   All Clad does frying pans fairly well.  Saucepans not so much.  Base is too thin, gets hot spots.    I have a number of much less expensive (and more expensive) saucepans that blow all clad out of the water.

The MC sauce pans I have have been fantastic.  Thick aluminum base, great heat retention - very easy to use the low/simmer setting on my wolf range and have the entire bottom distribute the heat nicely.  Much better than standard SS.

Also their copper core line is excellent.  Pricey, but excellent.  I have a stock pot and a big chefs pan.

• Like 1

I love the AC original Master Chef pans. You can find them on eBay.

New AC pans have those handles that I hate.

I have several Calphalon pans that are fine to me and a whole lot cheaper

When you look in even a high-class restaurant kitchen, most have carbon steel pans and plain old aluminum ones.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, KennethT said:

Can you be more specific? Thx

Happy to be specific.    First, I’m not one of those folks who’s down on All Clad.    I have a 12” MC frying pan I bought on deep sale for $68 about 25 years ago which is easily the best money I ever spent on cookware.   I also misspoke slightly, the saucepan I have is from their stainless line, which when I bought was the same thickness as the MC with a stainless cladding, to the extent it makes any difference.

I have a couple Sitram saucepans with disc bases that heat far more evenly than the All Clad and cost me much less.   I bought them at a place called China Fair in the Boston area that sold a combination of restaurant supply and overstock and when looking online I’m not sure exactly what current Sitram line they correspond to, although even the more expensive Sitram lines seem cheaper than AC.

I have a couple Demeyre saucepans and a Faulk CopperCore evasee which are simply better pans, but more expensive.

Also, and this really is fightin words, but before we met Mrs Dr Teeth used to be a Pampered Chef salesperson/kingpin.   She had a plethora of pans, knives and other things given as samples including some saucepans.    A few of the ones with disc bases just work better than my AC as much as it pains me to admit it.

I guess I would recommend the Sitram to anyone shopping who felt demeyre or falk was excessively expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

A few of the ones with disc bases just work better than my AC as much as it pains me to admit it.

I guess I would recommend the Sitram to anyone shopping who felt demeyre or falk was excessively expensive.

I've always found the disc bases, on the few pieces of Sitram I own, to leave the food at the very edges of the bottom of the pan susceptible to scorching.

That said, I think it's important to know one or two things about @hotsaucerman and what @hotsaucerman is truly looking for.  Because maybe buying a pan (like a Falk or similar), even though it will cost more upfront, is the prudent thing to do; certainly if one is going to be cooking and putting together a batterie de cuisine to last for decades. Spend more upfront for a great pan - it will make your cooking easier, and make you a happier cook in the kitchen.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog