• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The All All-Clad Cookware Topic

dennis77

Too single-purpose and way too expensive, but it looks like it would work fine. I don't need it to rotate. And I like that it's horizontal and not vertical.

Just seems like you could get the same results with a small, cheap stand that sits in the bottom of a regular roasting pan. It could be made out of bent bar stock, stainless or chrome plated.

Notes from the underbelly

Too single-purpose and way too expensive, but it looks like it would work fine. I don't need it to rotate. And I like that it's horizontal and not vertical.

Just seems like you could get the same results with a small, cheap stand that sits in the bottom of a regular roasting pan. It could be made out of bent bar stock, stainless or chrome plated.

It appears to be a regular roasting pan with the removable stand, so it could be used for regular roasting chores. I have a nice roasting pan with a rack but it's HUGE. I'll have to check it out in a store this weekend.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I saw this in a catalog, first thought how neat (first I thought you can just buy that holder) but then figured my wire "beer can" holder for the bbq will work as well in the oven.

If I'd need a roasting pan that size anyway, I'm sure I'd get it, but otherwise it's a bit much for a chicken hanger. I wonder if you can order just the hanger as a spare part?

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I went and checked out the pan this weekend.

It's a nice small roasting pan, typical All-Clad stainless. It has an arm that slides onto the side and uses the inside edge of the handle for stability. The arm has a small reservoir where you can put aromatic liquids.

An All-Clad rep was in the store. He said the pan would be available separately as would the arm, but no idea when. The arm will work on the other two roasting pans that W-S sells (not sure if they are available elsewhere).

The next size up roasting pan sells for $249. The $179 price of the smaller pan and the arm is a good deal in comparison to the other All-Clad pans, but is it a good deal in the overall scheme of chicken roasting gadgets?

I've decided, for now, probably not. Instead I am going to try a vertical roaster in a pan I already own.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Update: I bought a vertical roaster (Norpro with infuser) and tried it for the first time tonight. The chicken came out great - crispy skin with juicy breasts and thighs - wings cooked to perfection and not over-done. But my existing roasting pan is way too big for the amount of veggies I used (2 medium potatoes, 3 large carrots and 1/2 an onion) and they over-cooked but were still more than edible. The design of the Norpro catches the chicken drippings and I think the veggies would have tasted better if they had cooked in the drippings (I put some on with a spoon at the end, but I don't think it would be the same). The roaster also slides around when you take it out of the oven - the chicken didn't tip over but I was concerned.

I will play with the vertical roaster some more, but I am leaning towards the All Clad. It's advantages appear to be: Smaller pan size which better suits the two of us. Chicken looks like it would be held more stable. Likely easier to remove the chicken. Likely easier clean-up.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 2 years later...

Friend, single adult male, great cook, entertains frequently.

That's the one I'm buying for. I know he doesn't own any All Clad.

I have about a $300.00 budget and would like to get him a piece he'll use a lot.

Suggestions on what to get? Probably not nonstick.

Thanks

I have about a $300.00 budget and would like to get him a piece he'll use a lot.

Suggestions on what to get? Probably not nonstick.

Thanks

In a non stick I just used an LTD 10 inch fry pan to brown some meatfor a stew,,Ltd is an aluminum pan with stainless lining,and the heat transfer is really nice for me,they are pretty cheap,as well,,I buy all my allclad from http://www.cookwarenmore.com/they seem to have the best prices on it

Bud edit to clairify LTD,is allclad,,,

Edited by qrn (log)

I have a lot of Dehillerin very heavy cooper pots and pans. I got them when the FF (remember that?) was 11 FF / $ I love them but there are issues with them

not needing more Pots and Pans ( well some from Bed & Bath ... OK ) i got on sale two All clad 'saucier' pans:

http://www.all-clad.com/collections/MC%C2%B2/fry-pans.htm?First=Yes

I liked the thicker alluminun vs the stainless steel out-ter models

there is a smaller saucier w/o a lid but you have to look for it

Id get these. the guy has pans but these I use a lot. I only have the smaller one w/o lid and the 2 qt.

I love them!

good luck

best to find out the guy's stash first!

not meaning to be a :blink:

never buy a very expensive non-stick pan. they dont last that long.

well maybe it you manage a hedge-fund or are elected to congress ...

:huh:

Edited by rotuts (log)

Are you completely set on All-Clad? If not, I'd suggest looking at Demeyere -- much better quality for the price. Here are a couple of pieces I'd recommend:

Atlantis 3.2 qt. saucepan and Proline 11-in. skillet. These Amazon prices are absurdly low, so you could get both pieces for your budget. If I didn't already own more cookware than I'll ever need, I'd order that saucepan in a flash.

I'd rummage through his kitchen and see what he has first.

The two pans I cannot live without are my Falk 9.5" fry pan and 1.5 quart sauce pan. Either one would keep you under $300. I have several All-Clad pans. But when I reach for a pan for some serious work, it's usually a Falk Culinaire.

Heck, if you want, I'll shine up $300 worth of All-Clad copper pans and sell them to you. Should give you an idea about which is the better brand, if nothing else.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

The three-quart saucier is a very useful item, available for less than $200. Excellent for soups, sauces, braises, can go into oven, easy to clean.

I'd avoid the non-sticks. Not that they're bad, they're just not as useful. And a stainless steel interior is not hard to clean (give him a can of Bartender's Friend, too, which makes cleaning a breeze).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I agree on the sauciers. I have the 2- and the 3-quart sauciers and love them. Great for sauces, risotto, stews, etc.

The other All Clad pans that I use a lot are the 5- quart "casserole pan" (great to blanch vegetables or cook pasta), and the 10" fry pan.

I have them in the MC2 finish which is cheaper but has thicker aluminum as others pointed out. Also you don't have to worry about maintaining the shiny exterior as opposed to the stainless line.

I don't see the point of the nonstick versions. I only use nonstick for eggs, and have a cheaper T-Fal for that purpose.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

if the guy does not (yet !! ) have saucier pans maybe you can hunt around and get all three:

here is the 1 qt:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-1-Quart-Saucier-Pan/dp/B00005AL91

why get all three?

I just punched in for the 3 qt at that discount place.

and I need another pot or pan like another hole in my head.

great thread!

Edited by rotuts (log)

First, I love all-clad. I have a slew of it that I've picked up over time. (None is non-stick.) The 8qt stock-pot is my "reach for" braising piece. Produces a great fond, holds enough to cook for a table of 6 or 8 when necessary. Can't tell you how many slow oven braises mine has done. Cleans in a whiz with BarKeep'sFriend. (In fact, the other day I burned on a pot of beans, scraped off the solids and put to soak. Washed like a tea-cup in the morning." :wub:

eGullet member #80.

If you don't know precisely what is on his wish list, give him a gift certificate and he can get exactly what he wants.

Currently I recommend chefsresource.com

They have a wide range of All Clad cook and bake wares at very competitive prices.

There are many vendors but I like their customer service better than many.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The 4qt D5 sauté simmer pan from Williams Sonoma is great. I use it for just about everything. I think it's about $159 as its one of their promo deals. Also echo the comments on the saucier. I have the 2qt.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

First, I love all-clad. I have a slew of it that I've picked up over time. (None is non-stick.) The 8qt stock-pot is my "reach for" braising piece. Produces a great fond, holds enough to cook for a table of 6 or 8 when necessary. Can't tell you how many slow oven braises mine has done. Cleans in a whiz with BarKeep'sFriend. (In fact, the other day I burned on a pot of beans, scraped off the solids and put to soak. Washed like a tea-cup in the morning." :wub:

I second the 8 quart stock pot. It's the single most useful Allclad pot that I own.

I second the 8 quart stock pot. It's the single most useful Allclad pot that I own.

I don't doubt that an 8 qt All-Clad stockpot is pretty nice, but I'd question the utility of buying one (at least their regular fully clad one), vs., say, a cheaper tri-ply stockpot like Tramontina or Vollrath Tribute, or even a heavy disk-bottom one with a bottom that extends to the edge. If I were going to spend $300 on one or two pieces of expensive cookware for someone, whether All-Clad or another brand, I'd focus on the pieces likely to benefit the most from even heating and more responsiveness -- I would be thinking about sauciéres, skillets, and straight side sauté pans.

Also, while I don't see a 3 qt D5 sauciére right now, and the standard 3-ply doesn't have the rolled lip AFAICT, I think the copper-core is not really worth the extra money (maybe for a gift) unless it's heavily discounted; I'll also say that both D5 and copper-core are noticeably heavier than the standard All-Clad stuff.

At risk of offending many, I think the All-Clad line is overrated. I long ago moved to Sitram Catering and have no regrets.

I get a lot of use out of the 24cm sauteuse.

I have both. Originally, I definitely found Sitram Catering to be a better value. However, the price of Sitram's Catering series has gone up quite a bit since I bought most of my pieces (probably because of the great increases in the price of copper), and All-Clad is frequently available at discounted prices. There are a few applications where I find that having a disk bottom, especially one that doesn't go to the edge of the pan, is a minor limitation, and even with stockpots or saucepans, I have noticed a slight benefit (in terms of cooking evenness and efficiency) to fully clad cookware.

While I personally really like the utilitarian / commercial cookware look and feel of Sitram, I think a lot of home cooks, especially those who don't use a side towel or pot-holder to grab their pots and pans, would probably not find the Sitram handles comfortable. They might also find the lack of helper handles on some items a problem. I know lots of people hate All-Clad's handles too, but they stay cool better than the handles on most stainless cookware, and they don't have sharp edges. And, they look shiny, which is not a big concern for me, but might be for others.

Another big difference between the two is that All-Clad has riveted handles, whereas Sitram has welded ones. Some advantages and drawbacks to each. While I've never experienced problems with the welded handles on my Sitram pieces (they seem built to handle a lot of abuse), I've heard one or two anecdotal complaints about them breaking. On the other hand, the rivets on All-Clad (which I have to admit do look nice) make them a bit harder to clean.

I have a "mix and match" approach... as far as pots / pans, I've got All-Clad, Sitram, Vollrath, CIA, and De Buyer, among others. I use them all, and while I see occasional benefits of one or the other for a particular purpose, I use them all. Price aside, there's nothing that I especially dislike about All-Clad. For the most part, it is durable, comfortable to hold, distributes heat well (more so with the D5 series), looks nice, solid but still usually light enough to toss things in comfortably, made in the US if you're into that kind of thing, and a good warranty. The older All-Clad pieces don't have rolled edges, but most of the new ones do.